claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Basically this is my second time round applying for dsa, however this time it is from the nhs which if i ve understood correctly will let me choose a supplier rather than them deciding everything and making the payment directly themselves?

So was wondering will i be expected to purchase equipment/software from the cheapest supplier or could i opt for a local option?
NJones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think they will let you choose supplier. When a report is written by the assessment centre the assessor includes 2 or 3 quotes from approved suppliers (DSA-QAG) and they chose the suppliers they find to be suitable. Normally the funding body (NHS in your case) will chose lowest quote and ask that supplier to provide equipment. In the case of NHS England I believe students are forwarded the money and then asked to buy the equipment from the nominated supplier and provide evidence of purchase. If you feel you want to choose another supplier you will need to discuss this with your funding body. SFE students are able to buy from anywhere but must get approval first, then must ensure the equipment purchased meets the recommended specs. (they also pay the first £200 from 15/16) including extended insurance and warranty and will incur VAT. Software can only be supplied by an approved DSA-QAG supplier, so your machine will then be sent off to have the software installed.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by NJones)
I don't think they will let you choose supplier. When a report is written by the assessment centre the assessor includes 2 or 3 quotes from approved suppliers (DSA-QAG) and they chose the suppliers they find to be suitable. Normally the funding body (NHS in your case) will chose lowest quote and ask that supplier to provide equipment. In the case of NHS England I believe students are forwarded the money and then asked to buy the equipment from the nominated supplier and provide evidence of purchase. If you feel you want to choose another supplier you will need to discuss this with your funding body. SFE students are able to buy from anywhere but must get approval first, then must ensure the equipment purchased meets the recommended specs. (they also pay the first £200 from 15/16) including extended insurance and warranty and will incur VAT. Software can only be supplied by an approved DSA-QAG supplier, so your machine will then be sent off to have the software installed.
Thank you for your help, I know I will be forwarded the money and asked to provide a receipt, just wasnt sure which suppliers i d be expected to use as was hoping it d be a local one so if something was to go wrong would be much easier to sort out.

i wont be buying a pc from dsa as i recently bought a desktop which i ve got fully insured , in 2013 i did the same with a laptop which after a health check/virus scan sfw were fine with so hope the nhs feel the same. my desktop was under £300 and was worth more than i paid for it (yay for non mainstream branded pc's) so knew it d be better value than anything dsa would offer me so thought why wait till september to buy it really:P the ones they offered me when i applied for dsa in sfw were pretty awful spec wise so didnt see a point bothering with seeing what they d offer again, they shouldnt complain when i m saving them money right?I presume a dictaphone and software they dont expect you to put the £200 up front otherwise i ll ask my needs assessor the software costs and just go buy it myself if any of it comes to less than £200.

I didnt send anything off to have the software installed as the installer was able to come to me and install it so really hope the supplier the nhs dsa choose will offer the same service/a local supplier as for obvious reasons i cant send this pc anywhere, hence hoping i could pick a local supplier.
NJones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Thank you for your help, I know I will be forwarded the money and asked to provide a receipt, just wasnt sure which suppliers i d be expected to use as was hoping it d be a local one so if something was to go wrong would be much easier to sort out.

i wont be buying a pc from dsa as i recently bought a desktop which i ve got fully insured , in 2013 i did the same with a laptop which after a health check/virus scan sfw were fine with so hope the nhs feel the same. my desktop was under £300 and was worth more than i paid for it (yay for non mainstream branded pc's) so knew it d be better value than anything dsa would offer me so thought why wait till september to buy it really:P the ones they offered me when i applied for dsa in sfw were pretty awful spec wise so didnt see a point bothering with seeing what they d offer again, they shouldnt complain when i m saving them money right?I presume a dictaphone and software they dont expect you to put the £200 up front otherwise i ll ask my needs assessor the software costs and just go buy it myself if any of it comes to less than £200.

I didnt send anything off to have the software installed as the installer was able to come to me and install it so really hope the supplier the nhs dsa choose will offer the same service/a local supplier as for obvious reasons i cant send this pc anywhere, hence hoping i could pick a local supplier.
No you won't be asked to pay anything towards dictaphones or software. You may find that the same suppliers are used, such as Barry Bennett Ltd. Most cover the whole of the UK.

If your funding is NHS Wales they ask your university to purchase equipment and invoice them.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
No you won't be asked to pay anything towards dictaphones or software. You may find that the same suppliers are used, such as Barry Bennett Ltd. Most cover the whole of the UK.

If your funding is NHS Wales they ask your university to purchase equipment and invoice them.
I know barry bennett is one thats not too far from here. I m glad to hear there wont be any additional costs do you happen to know in what circumstances they might allow me to have the consumables allowance, i know the nhs have a £100 a year allowance for them but not sure if my needs from my spld's would be seen as severe enough to have them:/ i do feel i would benefit from having some core books in a larger print format
NJones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The funding won't be granted for any core books, only non-core books. It depends on what your assessor recommends for other general allowance funding, but it is available for photocopying etc.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
The funding won't be granted for any core books, only non-core books. It depends on what your assessor recommends for other general allowance funding, but it is available for photocopying etc.
my apologises for just getting your reply, i ve managed to get a cancellation appointment for thursday so will see what i can get as part of the general allowance i would hope that they will consider since i already have a printer/scanner of my own it could make more sense to have an ink rather than a photocopying allowance but will see
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads