The Student Room Group

Why do people shout when they are angry?

I get angry but it doesnt make me shout, the person can still hear whatever volume i talk.
Reply 1
That's a good point. It seems natural to shout when you are angry. But I believe you can resolve conflict, command respect and appease a difficult situation by talking at a normal volume and not shouting.
(edited 8 years ago)
it's because they want to harm their "victim" verbally and emotionally. anger turns people into monsters at times
Reply 3
<In Yoda voice> "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering" - had to be done.:u:
They do it for the same reason a kid cries. To get attention, to escalate a situation,to get a response.

I work in a customer facing environment and i have had plenty of people ranting in my face. If you just say nothing and deadpan them, they fairly quickly just burn themselves out and then return to normal. Sometimes they even apologise and put the kettle on ..hahaha,, The thing not to do is flinch,react,shout back because it will likely escalate possibly to an attack.
Reply 5
Excellent response! I agree!
I generally don't. Only when the other person is shouting and they can't hear me over their own voice lol. Tbh I've only ever shouted at my mum.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ChickenMadness
I generally don't. Only when the other person is shouting and they can't hear me over their own voice lol. Tbh I've only ever shouted at my mum.

Same here, ive never expressed anger towards anyone but my mum im too shy to lol. I just get a little passive aggressive thats all but sometimes I'l act nice to confuse them a little.
Reply 8
When I get angry I shout quite a lot. :s. But I wouldn't say that I do it to command respect like the previous people have suggested, I do it because the anger builds up inside me as when I can't stay calm anymore it bursts out as shouting or screaming. To me it's normal when someone frustrates me i find it hard to stay calm. It's either shout or cry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people don't shout at all when they're angry, they can go completely silent, or they will talk low and slowly or they will use last names or other indications you know they're angry without shouting. Depends on the person, of course :h:

Quick Reply

Latest