joey4live
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey, just wondering how everyone is feeling about the A2 exams and any predictions?
username1776853
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am not entirely confident, haven't revised everything thoroughly. Yourself?

Predictions:
Going from the examiner's recent papers, he likes using the data, so maybe a data heavy EC3 (especially after this year's EC1 paper)
EC3, most likely something on Marginal product? Usually an essay on competition/market structures.
EC4 data responses I am really unsure. I don't recall seeing a Balance of Payments essay coming up, so something this year?
erobyn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My teacher is pretty certain that the market structure essay will be on monopolistic competition
joey4live
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by S01B97)
I am not entirely confident, haven't revised everything thoroughly. Yourself?

Predictions:
Going from the examiner's recent papers, he likes using the data, so maybe a data heavy EC3 (especially after this year's EC1 paper)
EC3, most likely something on Marginal product? Usually an essay on competition/market structures.
EC4 data responses I am really unsure. I don't recall seeing a Balance of Payments essay coming up, so something this year?
Same here, I still need to reinforce my knowledge of macro.

I'm hoping a monopoly essay question comes up in ec3 given that it was oligopoly last year, but I also think a question on privatisation is likely.

I'm not even sure that they can ask a balance of payments question but I might be wrong, I mean how do you think they would phrase it if they to ask a question on the topic?
username1776853
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes very much the case.

Yeah, monopoly hasn't been up for a while, and with a consistent record of market structures, it could very well come up. Although no monopolistic competition... so who knows. Market failure is pretty consistent too, so privatisation/mergers etc. are pretty irrelevant unless they're preferable to you.

Yeah, I suppose they wouldn't ask directly on Balance of Payments. Maybe through the form of 'reducing the trade deficit' or something along those lines, although I'm sticking to the Growth/Inflation/Unemployment essays. Unless something familiar comes up with development.

Any thoughts on the data response?
HG_07
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think that one of the data responses could be on development or privitasation :/
username1776853
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both are relatively nice topics for a data response.

I imagine a privatisation data response would overlap with maybe market failures (monopoly power) and efficiency?
HG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How is everyone feeling for this exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1776853
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not confident. Have English the same day so it's difficult to weight preparation appropriately. Yourself?
HG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by S01B97)
Not confident. Have English the same day so it's difficult to weight preparation appropriately. Yourself?
Yeah I'm fine on the micro side. It's just the macro side that I have ignored. And yeah I'm not prioritising economics haha! But I've the papers and they actually aren't toooo bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
udededygdgyde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
oh my word how much macro is there in this exam, iv only done micro??!!! please someone reply ? is it all of Macro?
udededygdgyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
can you please list the topics needed im gonna have to revise before my exam, but if knowledge of all macro is needed then fml
HG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by udededygdgyde)
oh my word how much macro is there in this exam, iv only done micro??!!! please someone reply ? is it all of Macro?
Some questions are also macro in this exam. But the essay question will be micro

Posted from TSR Mobile
HG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by udededygdgyde)
can you please list the topics needed im gonna have to revise before my exam, but if knowledge of all macro is needed then fml
So roughly u need to look at:
Monopoly/perfect comp/oligopoly/monopolistic comp
Diseconomies/economies of scale
Diminishing returns
General market/govt failure
Development
Eco growth
Terms of trade
GDP/GNP and other indicators
Inflation - classical/monetarist views
Protectionism
Comparative advantage
Unemployment

Posted from TSR Mobile
OlzClark1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What essays you guys hoping to come up? Either theory of the firm or mergers would be perfect for me
HG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OlzClark1997)
What essays you guys hoping to come up? Either theory of the firm or mergers would be perfect for me
Either way I'm only going to pick the market structure one. Like comparing oligopoly to other markets!

Posted from TSR Mobile
HG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it just me or do some parts of the spec (more Macro) remind you of GCSE geography knowledge!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
OlzClark1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HG_07)
Is it just me or do some parts of the spec (more Macro) remind you of GCSE geography knowledge!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
YES!- I was thinking that a few days ago. It must be from evaluating the social, economic and environmental effects.
HG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OlzClark1997)
YES!- I was thinking that a few days ago. It must be from evaluating the social, economic and environmental effects.
Haha yeah I'm relying on some of that knowledge to make a reappearance in the exam today

Posted from TSR Mobile
HG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good luck to everyone sitting it

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.41%
I'm not sure (45)
4.32%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (310)
29.78%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (509)
48.9%

Watched Threads