Telematic/ Black Box Insurance for new young drivers, is it worth it?

Watch
svrikabvnga
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

So I recently passed by driving test and have been looking at car insurance quotes. All quotes I have been receiving for insurance without a black box have been far too expensive, over twice the price of my car! Quotes including a black box have been cheaper (around £1300) which I'm ok with but the idea of a black box is putting me off and I want to know whether having one is really worth it. The idea of being spied on and constantly assessed while driving is the last thing I want to be honest.

If the black box detects you as being a 'good' driver after your year's insurance then how much reduction in the insurance is there for the next year? I would appreciate if any of you could perhaps tell me your experiences with black box insurance and how much money did you save from the first year to the second year.

Thank you. xo
outlaw-torn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got black box insurance last year. I'm 23, had my licence since I was 18 but only started driving last year.

Cost me around £1000ish to insure my car with Hastings Smartmiles, and it's cost me around £75 a month. I haven't minded the black box thing - I forgot I had it, and you can usually track your score etc online.

However I got my renewal recently and despite having a score of 87 for the year, my renewal quote is £77. So more a month than I have paid for the past year! I've got a new car anyway but needless to say I won't be staying with Hastings. I don't know what the renewal is like with other companies but.. It was worth it when initially getting the insurance because it was much cheaper than others - I just won't be renewing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by svrikabvnga)
Hi all,

So I recently passed by driving test and have been looking at car insurance quotes. All quotes I have been receiving for insurance without a black box have been far too expensive, over twice the price of my car! Quotes including a black box have been cheaper (around £1300) which I'm ok with but the idea of a black box is putting me off and I want to know whether having one is really worth it. The idea of being spied on and constantly assessed while driving is the last thing I want to be honest.

If the black box detects you as being a 'good' driver after your year's insurance then how much reduction in the insurance is there for the next year? I would appreciate if any of you could perhaps tell me your experiences with black box insurance and how much money did you save from the first year to the second year.

Thank you. xo
I wouldnt touch a black box with a bargepole
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by outlaw-torn)
I got black box insurance last year. I'm 23, had my licence since I was 18 but only started driving last year.

Cost me around £1000ish to insure my car with Hastings Smartmiles, and it's cost me around £75 a month. I haven't minded the black box thing - I forgot I had it, and you can usually track your score etc online.

However I got my renewal recently and despite having a score of 87 for the year, my renewal quote is £77. So more a month than I have paid for the past year! I've got a new car anyway but needless to say I won't be staying with Hastings. I don't know what the renewal is like with other companies but.. It was worth it when initially getting the insurance because it was much cheaper than others - I just won't be renewing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should have checked with other insurers and check with hastings as a new driver, as some systems make renewal more expensive rather than a fresh application
mcgreevy1993
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My insurance is £1,300 without a black box, should of been 1,200 but I paid interest to do it monthly. How old are you? Will give you a better idea of what you should be paying
SFeet
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by svrikabvnga)
Hi all,

Thank you. xo
I've had a black box insurance for the past 11 months, can't wait to get rid of the stupid thing, the only reason why I went for it is because it saved me over £1,000. I don't hate it because I can't speed but rather because I just have to constantly look at my speedo, this results in me sometimes having to carry out harsh brakes.

Personally it's one more thing to worry about, driving is stressful enough as it is. I would recommend you avoid them if the difference between a non black box insurer is less than £250
GonvilleBromhead
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't get a black box. It measures telemetry data that logs your speed, change in acceleration and is completely arbitrary and random in terms of how it judges your driving. Heavy acceleration in either direction (positive or negative) counts against you even though it might be necessary (braking for someone who pulls out without looking, accelerating to avoid getting rear ended or to get out of a busy junction). Unless you can guarantee you drive so safely this will never be an issue (and therefore will sit in traffic a heck of a lot without moving as a minimum). It could lower the premium significantly but you do put yourself in the hands of fate
hassy77
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The worst mistake of my life was getting a blackbox honestly your better off paying more! its just not worth the hassle!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.49%
I'm not sure (51)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (331)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.53%

Watched Threads