MJS107
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
After sitting the C1 and C2 exam (edexcel) I am seriously doubting my maths ability. The papers were a bit tricky, but usually I do very well at these two, I mostly suck at exam technique and nerves and all that. I do plan on taking maths next year, but I just want to know how much of a step is A2 from AS? I didn't do as well as I could have done this year which is annoying considering the step from GCSE to AS wasn't actually too bad looking back. How difficult is C3 and C4 in comparison? I will also be doing M1 if I carry on next year.
Jai Sandhu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MJS107)
After sitting the C1 and C2 exam (edexcel) I am seriously doubting my maths ability. The papers were a bit tricky, but usually I do very well at these two, I mostly suck at exam technique and nerves and all that. I do plan on taking maths next year, but I just want to know how much of a step is A2 from AS? I didn't do as well as I could have done this year which is annoying considering the step from GCSE to AS wasn't actually too bad looking back. How difficult is C3 and C4 in comparison? I will also be doing M1 if I carry on next year.
Not that bad, if I were you, over the summer make sure you brush up on trig identities, integration and differentiation as that is all you are going to be doing for the next year
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do a different exam board (OCR MEI), and in my experience C3 is just more C2 but C4 is pretty difficult (especially paper B but luckily you won't have to experience that particular horror).

But as with all maths, it's perfectly possible to achieve in A2 with practice.
Dinaa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel like if I carry on with maths and have bad C1/C2/S1 grades, my teacher will bully me so badly :sad:

She does anyway :sad:
Kill3er
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you work from the start you'll be fine. If like me you don't, and then also have Chemistry/Biology/Physics A2 to worry about its going to be difficult. I personally hate C3, and like C4 more.
Alex621
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do OCR MEI, and I found that C3 just takes a lot of prectice as there are quite a lot of 'rules' to remember in terms of what happens to different functions when you differntiate and intergrate, but I practiced loads at the start of the year and it feels quite easy now, but with C4 i find half of the topics easy and the other half really hard and there isn't much time to practice it either. I think doing M1, along with physics has helped with C4 as we do vectors and differential equations and everything seems to gave fitted together nicely.

I'm resitting all of my AS modules this year as I didn't put the work in last year, and now realise how much easier everything is when you do loads of practice questions and past papers.
Willff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my opinion....
C1 is very easy. However C2 is more challenging.
C3 is not much harder, at all, than C2 and neither is C4. In fact, at times I found C2 harder than C3 and C4.

If you can understand trigonometry, integration and differentiation, well then you should do fine. But if you don't, it's definitely worth sitting down and thinking about your options first.

Trigonometry is something you need to get your head around well. Integration and differentiation can quite easily be learnt just from applying the same few rules. Examsolutions tutorials are extremely good for C3 and C4.

However each to their own, but that's my view on it. Good luck in your decision.
TVIO
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
C1 was basically GCSE+, C2 was moderately difficult. C3 is a big step up, but as long as you're committed and capable of getting a b/c in AS you should be alright.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed