krazykhush
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi! I'm currently doing my IGCSE's in India and I'm 9 months away from my board exams (New rule for schools in India). I want to study Economics as I find it really interesting. I have taken both Extended Math and Additional Math and I get an A* and A, respectively.
I'm planning to take up the IBDP. I want to keep my University choices open as I may go to either the US,UK,Australia or even Singapore. This is my choice for the IB subjects:

HL:
Mathematics
Economics
Business & Management (not sure yet)

SL:
English A: Lang & Lit
Physics
Hindi B

The thing is that I'm not really good at English or Physics to take it up at HL as I get B's in both but people keep telling me that most uni's see B&M as a soft subject and might reject my application. Also I read in most threads that Math HL is necessary for Economics in the UK and some Uni's in the US. The school for the IB programme I'm applying to doesn't offer Psychology as most would reccomend and I'm not keen on taking it up as well. I have taken Bussiness Studies and Economics for my IGCSE's as well and incase I lose interest in Economics, I would like to take up Business. Somebody please help ? Thanks :)
gsxrjunkie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by krazykhush)
Hi! I'm currently doing my IGCSE's in India and I'm 9 months away from my board exams (New rule for schools in India). I want to study Economics as I find it really interesting. I have taken both Extended Math and Additional Math and I get an A* and A, respectively.
I'm planning to take up the IBDP. I want to keep my University choices open as I may go to either the US,UK,Australia or even Singapore. This is my choice for the IB subjects:

HL:
Mathematics
Economics

SL:
Physics
Hindi B

The thing is that I'm not really good at English or Physics to take it up at HL as I get B's in both but people keep telling me that most uni's see B&M as a soft subject and might reject my application. Also I read in most threads that Math HL is necessary for Economics in the UK and some Uni's in the US. The school for the IB programme I'm applying to doesn't offer Psychology as most would reccomend and I'm not keen on taking it up as well. I have taken Bussiness Studies and Economics for my IGCSE's as well and incase I lose interest in Economics, I would like to take up Business. Somebody please help ? Thanks
Hi, I'm currently studying HL Physics, HL Chemistry and HL economics. The IB HL Economics course doesn't require a lot of maths knowledge, you can take it with maths studies if you want however most of the top universities do require HL Maths to pursue and economics degree so if you're amazing at maths and can pick up knowledge at a very fast pace, take HL Maths.

Does your school offer HL Hindi, that may be an option, it would be good as uni's like people that take languages
krazykhush
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by gsxrjunkie)
Hi, I'm currently studying HL Physics, HL Chemistry and HL economics. The IB HL Economics course doesn't require a lot of maths knowledge, you can take it with maths studies if you want however most of the top universities do require HL Maths to pursue and economics degree so if you're amazing at maths and can pick up knowledge at a very fast pace, take HL Maths.

Does your school offer HL Hindi, that may be an option, it would be good as uni's like people that take languages
Yeah it does but I get an A in Hindi as well so I'm not sure whether I'll get amazing results if I take it up at HL. Is it worth taking B&M at HL ?
Also what are your SL subjects ?
Thanks
gsxrjunkie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah it does but I get an A in Hindi as well so I'm not sure whether I'll get amazing results if I take it up at HL. Is it worth taking B&M at HL ?
Also what are your SL subjects ?
Thanks
It depends on how comfortable you are studying Hindi at HL. I'm sorry but I can't advise anything on B&M as my school doesn't offer it.

My SL subjects are: English, Spanish and Maths
josebaena
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

HL:
Mathematics
Economics

SL:
Physics
Hindi B

The thing is that I'm not really good at English or Physics to take it up at HL as I get B's in both but people keep telling me that most uni's see B&M as a soft subject and might reject my application. Also I read in most threads that Math HL is necessary for Economics in the UK and some Uni's in the US. The school for the IB programme I'm applying to doesn't offer Psychology as most would reccomend and I'm not keen on taking it up as well. I have taken Bussiness Studies and Economics for my IGCSE's as well and incase I lose interest in Economics, I would like to take up Business. Somebody please help ? Thanks
For most of the UK universities Math HL is not needed, Math SL (not studies) would satisfy the requirements. I also want to study Economics (in the UK) and I have researched a lot about such matter. The only universities that require Math HL for their economics degree are the top ones, such as LSE, Cambridge, Oxford, warwick and Kings. One thing you can do is take a similar course such as Business, where the math requirements can be lower. Another possible thing to do is choosing a degree that includes economics in the curriculum. One example of this could be at Warwick, where for the Economics degree you need at least a 6 in Math HL, but if for the "Economics, Politics and International Studies" course, the math requirements drop down to 4 in HL and 5 in SL
gsxrjunkie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by josebaena)
For most of the UK universities Math HL is not needed, Math SL (not studies) would satisfy the requirements. I also want to study Economics (in the UK) and I have researched a lot about such matter. The only universities that require Math HL for their economics degree are the top ones, such as LSE, Cambridge, Oxford, warwick and Kings. One thing you can do is take a similar course such as Business, where the math requirements can be lower. Another possible thing to do is choosing a degree that includes economics in the curriculum. One example of this could be at Warwick, where for the Economics degree you need at least a 6 in Math HL, but if for the "Economics, Politics and International Studies" course, the math requirements drop down to 4 in HL and 5 in SL
If you don't mind me asking, are you from the UK?

The difference between 'Economics' and 'Politics, philosophy and Economics' is one is a BSc and the other isn't.
PPE doesn't require a lot of maths therefore is a social science whereas studying Economics would require a lot of maths..
nicholasflamel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi!

I was in the same conundrum concerning the fact that Business may be perceived as an inferior "soft" subject.

First of all, I don't agree with the prejudice, as I have taken the subject and it is by no means easy to get a 7. At the same time, however, I do realise that the contents covered do not seem very academic and makes use of a lot of general knowledge and common sense.

However, your concern about getting rejected outright for simply taking Business at HL is, imo, a bit exaggerated. It would be very unlikely that unis will disregard your entire application on the sole basis of this one single subject. I believe the concern about "soft subjects" is much more pertinent to A-Level candidates, who only take 3 or 4 subjects. Universities tend to discourage candidates from having too many "soft subjects" as part of their A-Levels because this would be seen as an "easy way out". However, you must remember that you are an IB Diploma candidate, and that your workload alone trumps the rigour of these "cheaters." Even if Business HL is a "soft subject", the fact you that you are taking on things like Maths HL and a foreign language should be testament to your desire to demonstrate superior academic competence.

As for the US, this is a different story. Having applied there as well, I must honestly say Business has no value whatsoever because very few schools (top ranking ones, that is) will grant you credit for it. Business really isn't recognised as a subject over there so if you're planning on applying, it's better not to take the subject at all, as all your hard work will go unnoticed.

I hope this helps.
milkberries
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I took both Economics and Business Management at HL and received offers from all my five choices, with Warwick being my top choice, so I don't think it's too much of a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (48)
16.11%
I'm not sure (8)
2.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (102)
34.23%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.34%
I'm not a current university student (136)
45.64%

Watched Threads