The Student Room Group

Sixth form entry requirements

I'm doing triple science and Maths for A level and My sixth form's entry requirements are A*'s in Maths, Core and additional science for my subject choices ( doing 3 or more sciences including maths requires an A* in all at GCSE)

I was really ill during the physics P2 exam, and don't think I did very well so that could impact my overall additional science grade.

Do you think my sixth form would make an exception and allow an A in additional science but an A* in core sci and maths?

This is killing me :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mathsqueen
I'm doing triple science and Maths for A level and My sixth form's entry requirements are A*'s in Maths, Core and additional science for my subject choices ( doing 3 or more sciences including maths requires an A* in all at GCSE)

I was really ill during the physics P2 exam, and don't think I did very well so that could impact my overall additional science grade.

Do you think my sixth form would make an exception and allow an A in additional science but an A* in core sci and maths?

This is killing me :frown:

Why don't you go and talk to your science teacher? Did you get a letter from a doctor? If so that could be used as evidence to argue your case (and if you were badly ill special circumstances from the exam board). My school let us take both with just an A so maybe you'll be okay.
It's ironic that for someone with your username you don't take further maths :giggle:.

What do you intend to do later on in life? Because if it's a science subject as opposed to an arts subject, further maths will be much more helpful than another science, and you'll be shooting yourself in the foot by not taking it if that is what you intend to do.
Reply 3
Original post by FrostShot
It's ironic that for someone with your username you don't take further maths :giggle:.

What do you intend to do later on in life? Because if it's a science subject as opposed to an arts subject, further maths will be much more helpful than another science, and you'll be shooting yourself in the foot by not taking it if that is what you intend to do.

I'm going to self-study FM because my school doesn't allow 5 A levels :smile:
I plan on going into engineering.
Reply 4
Original post by Jodie99
Why don't you go and talk to your science teacher? Did you get a letter from a doctor? If so that could be used as evidence to argue your case (and if you were badly ill special circumstances from the exam board). My school let us take both with just an A so maybe you'll be okay.

Thats a good point. I couldn't go to the doctor at the time so I don't have a letter :frown:
Reply 5
Thats a good point. I couldn't go to the doctor at the time so I don't have a letter :frown:

Okay maybe get your parents to write in to your science department instead, if you do it now it'll look less like you're making excuses on results day. And you don't know that you didn't get an A* yet, particularly if you've got a high A* grade isa to pull up your grade.
Reply 6
Original post by Jodie99
Okay maybe get your parents to write in to your science department instead, if you do it now it'll look less like you're making excuses on results day. And you don't know that you didn't get an A* yet, particularly if you've got a high A* grade isa to pull up your grade.

Very good point. I think ill go speak to the dept first and then get my parents to write a letter. I did do very well on my ISA but I worry that I made way to many mistakes that my isa mark wouldn't be able to pull it up. I also worry that grade boundaries will be high since everyone on here and in my school has been saying that the exams have been easy :frown:
I'm going to self-study FM because my school doesn't allow 5 A levels :smile:
I plan on going into engineering.

Why exactly are you taking 5 a levels anyway? Biology probably isn't very useful for engineering, though that depends on some extent to what type of engineering you want to study. You would probably be better off self studying biology and taking further maths, since this will be much more flexible for you: You will be able to drop biology if you decide 5 a levels isn't your thing.

My GCSEs went much better than I expected even when I thought they went terrible on exam day, but this was maybe partly due to the fact my school used fake grade boundaries for mocks instead of the real one, so they would tell you you got a high B when you really had got a low A* in the mock.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Very good point. I think ill go speak to the dept first and then get my parents to write a letter. I did do very well on my ISA but I worry that I made way to many mistakes that my isa mark wouldn't be able to pull it up. I also worry that grade boundaries will be high since everyone on here and in my school has been saying that the exams have been easy :frown:

You can still make about 13-16 marks worth of mistakes and get A*
Reply 9
Why exactly are you taking 5 a levels anyway? Biology probably isn't very useful for engineering, though that depends on some extent to what type of engineering you want to study. You would probably be better off self studying biology and taking further maths, since this will be much more flexible for you: You will be able to drop biology if you decide 5 a levels isn't your thing.

I'm doing bio as a back up. If i change my mind about engineering I can go into medicine or health. I'm debating which one to self study for, and plan on going over the textbooks in the summer to decide which would be easier for me.
I'm doing bio as a back up. If i change my mind about engineering I can go into medicine or health. I'm debating which one to self study for, and plan on going over the textbooks in the summer to decide which would be easier for me.

😂 not many people would consider medicine as a "back up"
Reply 11
Original post by Jodie99
You can still make about 13-16 marks worth of mistakes and get A*

I guess so, I just hope I did well on the rest of the papers as well, I know I also made quite a few mistakes.

That's a good idea to make use of your summer. Don't waste it having fun like I did :tongue: You really want to start studying for your a levels as early as possible, especially if you are self studying a subject. The difference it makes is massive.
Reply 13
Original post by Jodie99
😂 not many people would consider medicine as a "back up"

hahaha it's just in case I change my mind (i'm very indecisive), I have are other options as well :smile: but medicine and engineering are my top choices!
It's highly likely that if you're not far off an A* in science then they'll still let you do the A-levels you want.
Reply 15
That's a good idea to make use of your summer. Don't waste it having fun like I did :tongue: You really want to start studying for your a levels as early as possible, especially if you are self studying a subject. The difference it makes is massive.

It will be VERY difficult ahhaah
Reply 16
Original post by loperdoper
It's highly likely that if you're not far off an A* in science then they'll still let you do the A-levels you want.

AHH I hope grade boundaries are low!
I guess so, I just hope I did well on the rest of the papers as well, I know I also made quite a few mistakes.

I know how you feel. I couldn't sleep the night before my biology so I was quite tired and I made loads of idiotic mistakes. The funny part is .I walked out of the exam feeling okay then I went on a student room forum and looked at the answers people put and just went "oh ****". But at least I'm doing triple so I have the B1 exam this Friday to try and pull myself up to an A 😬 Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Reply 18
Original post by Jodie99
I know how you feel. I couldn't sleep the night before my biology so I was quite tired and I made loads of idiotic mistakes. The funny part is .I walked out of the exam feeling okay then I went on a student room forum and looked at the answers people put and just went "oh ****". But at least I'm doing triple so I have the B1 exam this Friday to try and pull myself up to an A 😬 Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Literally it's the same with me! I'm also doing B1 and am seriously not in the mood to revise. I am expected to get A*'s in most of my GCSE's but that's NOT going to happen lol

Good luck girl!
Literally it's the same with me! I'm also doing B1 and am seriously not in the mood to revise. I am expected to get A*'s in most of my GCSE's but that's NOT going to happen lol

Good luck girl!

Good luck to you too! We can pray together for low grade boundaries. Did you do AQA? The stupid ratio question

Quick Reply

Latest