Where can I meet new people ...?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I recently returned prematurely from where I am studying to my home town. My parents put a lot of pressure on me to come home, they were constantly asking me when I was coming back and I decided to pack up and leave. Something I regret.

I've pretty much had no interactions with friends for the last 3 weeks. I felt like going out to a bar last night by myself, but my anxiety got the best of me and I decided not to.

I'm trying to figure out something I can do today like going to a local football pitch and hoping someone will let me play with them, but I don't know ...

This kind of thing happened last year when I was viciously attacked by a flat mate of mine at Uni and then bullied. I couldn't find the strength to leave my dorm room, so I spent the days playing video games and sleeping.

I'm at a very low point of my life right now ...

My dad booked me in to see a GP tomorrow to speak about "things in my head", but I just know that meeting people and having fun is going to help me a lot.

Anyone got some advice/support? Thanks.
cake_lover
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Try taking up a new sport or hobby? You'll then meet people on a daily basis and that could help?
Rigster122
Badges: 3
Report 6 years ago
Dont University peeps set up clubs and stuff usually, join one of those or better yet, if one doesn't exist that you like ... make one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Rigster122)
Dont University peeps set up clubs and stuff usually, join one of those or better yet, if one doesn't exist that you like ... make one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did join a couple of societies, but I didn't go to any of them.

Anyway, I've moved back home for the summer. It felt like my parents wanted me to come home, but they deny it even though they kept nagging me.

So I'm back home with no friends to hang and spend time with...

I did want to go out last night by myself, but I just couldn't go through with it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cake_lover)
Try taking up a new sport or hobby? You'll then meet people on a daily basis and that could help?

Well I started to learn more guitar ... but that's something I do on my own.

I'm quite the anxious type at the moment which is making it a lot harder.

Football is an alley I could go down to meet new people, but I just don't know how to go about it: do I show up at the local football pitch and ask to play with people ... do I go to the 5-a-side astros and ask there ...
cake_lover
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Well I started to learn more guitar ... but that's something I do on my own.

I'm quite the anxious type at the moment which is making it a lot harder.

Football is an alley I could go down to meet new people, but I just don't know how to go about it: do I show up at the local football pitch and ask to play with people ... do I go to the 5-a-side astros and ask there ...
Urmm I'm not sure about the football thing, I'd like to know myself as well tbh!
Is there a martial art that interests you? You could enjoy it and when I did TKD there was people of all ages and we all got on really well.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cake_lover)
Urmm I'm not sure about the football thing, I'd like to know myself as well tbh!
Is there a martial art that interests you? You could enjoy it and when I did TKD there was people of all ages and we all got on really well.
I don't have the physique ... people joke about me being skinny and lanky ...
cake_lover
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't have the physique ... people joke about me being skinny and lanky ...
You don't need a physique to do a martial art. We had a obese guy with at TKD, he was fine and everyone liked him.

Is being "skinny and lanky" a part of why you're anxious about getting out there? Affecting your confidence?
If so, just hit the gym, bulk up and you will feel better and so your confidence will increase too.
xsashax
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You could try volunteering, I find it helps with confidence and enables you to meet people in a friendly environment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
30.17%
No (169)
69.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed