The Student Room Group

Want to do medicine all of a sudden xx

Hey what up, I'm in A2 and have decided that I want to be a doctor. Obviously I can't really do much now because I've firmed places for maths, don't have the UKCAT and haven't even started looking for courses.

The thing is I do love maths and would probably REALLY enjoy the course, so what would be a better thing to do:

1. Do maths for 3 or 4 years and go into medicine via postgrad routes

2. Option 1 is a waste of life, go straight into medicine just take a year out to get UKCAT and stuff

Cheers x
Reply 1
If you are doing relevant A level, I think you better take a gap year, do some work experience and apply through UCAS again. UKCAT is not that hard as long as you practise for it.
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there, third year med student here :smile: that's a real tough one, and you'll know best what to do but here's some thoughts that might help you out

The extra 3-4 years won't be much of a waste. Consider this: you'll be a doctor until you're sixty-something,you'll spend more than enough time being a doctor

If you chose to apply next year and get into medicine, great
Apply and get into medicine first time: 1y out, 5y MBChB 6y
*IF* you don't, you'd have these options:
Reapply for medicine: 1y out, 1y reapplying, 5y MBChB 7y
Reapply for maths (or another degree) then GEM: 1y out, 1y reapplying,3/4y maths, 5y MBChB 10/11y
In comparison to doing maths now and then GEM: 3/4y maths,5y MBChB 8/9y
So it'll work out pretty similar in the grand scheme of things

I'd also be hesitant of losing my place in maths and taking a lot longer in the long run (10/11y vs 8/9y). By doing maths, you'd gain something and you can build you your medicine application. But the extra 2/3 years of maths (were you to get into medicine the first time) might be more significant to you than they would be to me; so it's really what you want more...Hope this was semi-useful :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ThePieMonster
Hey there, third year med student here :smile: that's a real tough one, and you'll know best what to do but here's some thoughts that might help you out

The extra 3-4 years won't be much of a waste. Consider this: you'll be a doctor until you're sixty-something,you'll spend more than enough time being a doctor

If you chose to apply next year and get into medicine, great
Apply and get into medicine first time: 1y out, 5y MBChB 6y
*IF* you don't, you'd have these options:
Reapply for medicine: 1y out, 1y reapplying, 5y MBChB 7y
Reapply for maths (or another degree) then GEM: 1y out, 1y reapplying,3/4y maths, 5y MBChB 10/11y
In comparison to doing maths now and then GEM: 3/4y maths,5y MBChB 8/9y
So it'll work out pretty similar in the grand scheme of things

I'd also be hesitant of losing my place in maths and taking a lot longer in the long run (10/11y vs 8/9y). By doing maths, you'd gain something and you can build you your medicine application. But the extra 2/3 years of maths (were you to get into medicine the first time) might be more significant to you than they would be to me; so it's really what you want more...Hope this was semi-useful :smile:

Hm, but you make it sound as though getting into GEM is just like getting into medical school; it isn't. The OP should probably also factor in the issue that while it's hard to get into medical school, it's even harder to get into GEM. It's not really ideal for anyone to be making plans to study GEM before they've even started their undergrad - it's not really a route anyone should be banking on IMO.

If I were the OP, I'd spend the next few months looking at the UKCAT and medical courses, and to get a bit of work experience (because you won't get anywhere without some experience anyway). Don't make any rash decisions - you say you want to study Medicine 'all of a sudden' so you need to work out if this is a serious ambition or not. Also - do you have A-level Chemistry? As you're not going to get very far without one of those either, so that's something else to factor in..
Original post by *pitseleh*
you make it sound as though getting into GEM is just like getting into medical school; it isn't. The OP should probably also factor in the issue that while it's hard to get into medical school, it's even harder to get into GEM. It's not really ideal for anyone to be making plans to study GEM before they've even started their undergrad - it's not really a route anyone should be banking on IMO

Fair point: this is the disadvantage of having not looked much into GEM (having not needed it myself). Thanks for correcting me :smile:

Original post by *pitseleh*
Don't make any rash decisions - you say you want to study Medicine 'all of a sudden' so you need to work out if this is a serious ambition or not

I wholeheartedly agree; i was looking for a nice way to say this an couldn't find it. Thank you for making this point, pitseleh. OP: this is the most important thing to take away from here imho
I second the above - you need to get work experience, both to help you decide if you actually do want to do medicine, and because it's essential for a med school application. You need to be really certain, medicine is a difficult and long-term commitment, and if you do not have a solid basis for your ambition it will come across at interview (if not in your personal statement).

Something else for you to consider OP - in other posts you have said that you are doing maths, FM and chem A2, predicted B in chem. For medicine you must get at least A in chemistry, and medical schools usually do not count maths and FM as two separate subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ThePieMonster
Fair point: this is the disadvantage of having not looked much into GEM (having not needed it myself). Thanks for correcting me :smile:

I wholeheartedly agree; i was looking for a nice way to say this an couldn't find it. Thank you for making this point, pitseleh. OP: this is the most important thing to take away from here imho

You're welcome. I applied for 4- and 5-year courses before I settled on a 5-year course, and I remember the competition ratios for GEM being significantly higher than for undergrad is all; you weren't to know if you've not looked into it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending