Does society really exist? Watch

NHM713
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I remember asking someone, what was the difference between sociology and psychology, as I didn't know what the difference was.

I also saw a photo from the Austerity protects which said " there is no such thing as society...." which got me thinking.

What is society?
Grantland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grantland)
Haha, I don't care for the dictionary definition, you have put no effort into this.

I want your explanation.
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NHM713)
I remember asking someone, what was the difference between sociology and psychology, as I didn't know what the difference was.

I also saw a photo from the Austerity protects which said " there is no such thing as society...." which got me thinking.

What is society?
A society is just a group of people living/working together for a common purpose (individual survival). It only really exists as a concept in peoples heads, but we can observe it's impact on the world around us so I'd say it does exist, just as an ideology "exists".
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zargabaath)
A society is just a group of people living/working together for a common purpose (individual survival). It only really exists as a concept in peoples heads, but we can observe it's impact on the world around us so I'd say it does exist, just as an ideology "exists".
In the mind, so it is not real?
That means we are just people together, and if we are it, and it is us, that means every single person makes an impact, right?
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the mind, so it is not real?
That means we are just people together, and if we are it, and it is us, that means every single person makes an impact, right?
Well communism exists only in the mind, but I don't think anyone would argue that it isn't real. I guess it depends on what you define as real. If you want to be really picky you could argue it exists as groups of neurones in the brain. I'd personally argue that while we can't sense it directly, we can sense the influence of it on the world so by that standard I'd say it is real.

I guess every person does make some impact, but the more people you have, the less significant those impacts are. Like in today's society, your average individual has pretty much no impact at all. Of course some exceptions to the rule are able to make much larger impacts than you would expect, but that's usually when they have the support of other individuals.
James E Walker
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Typical girlish disputes, do something constructive with your time.
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A society is a group of people within a geographical area. It is a meaningless term.
NHM713
Rep:
?
Well communism exists only in the mind, but I don't think anyone would argue that it isn't real. I guess it depends on what you define as real. If you want to be really picky you could argue it exists as groups of neurones in the brain. I'd personally argue that while we can't sense it directly, we can sense the influence of it on the world so by that standard I'd say it is real.

I guess every person does make some impact, but the more people you have, the less significant those impacts are. Like in today's society, your average individual has pretty much no impact at all. Of course some exceptions to the rule are able to make much larger impacts than you would expect, but that's usually when they have the support of other individuals.
-Only the physical effects do. Everything that exists in the now. Haha, you could and you'd be right. Yes, but, that is us sensing it, all of us.

-Why is that? Hence, all the -isms.
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by James E Walker)
Typical girlish disputes, do something constructive with your time.
You need a hug.
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by william walker)
A society is a group of people within a geographical area. It is a meaningless term.
But, it means more than that.
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But, it means more than that.
No it doesn't. I never use the word society because it does mean anything. I use the word nation to describe Britain. Or Cumberland to describe Cumberland, or London to describe London.
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
-Only the physical effects do. Everything that exists in the now. Haha, you could and you'd be right. Yes, but, that is us sensing it, all of us.

-Why is that? Hence, all the -isms.
I'm not sure what you're asking me lol.
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by william walker)
No it doesn't. I never use the word society because it does mean anything. I use the word nation to describe Britain. Or Cumberland to describe Cumberland, or London to describe London.
Don't say no, because you don't know what you are saying no to. If society has little meaning, then nation has little meaning too.
NHM713
Rep:
?
I'm not sure what you're asking me lol.
Oh I was asking why the larger the group the smaller the impact, but, I think I get it now.
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by PR1234)
i personally take an interactionist view and believe society is a social construction. if you think of it as a society- it is, if you just think its a bunch of people in a certain area then that's what it is for you. I think it depends on individual definitions people give to situations etc.
Society is human relationship.
gallowsCalibra
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
reality is an illusion + the universe is a hologram
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh I was asking why the larger the group the smaller the impact, but, I think I get it now.
Just to clarify I meant the larger society is, the less impact. Like if you have a population of 10, 1 person is going to have more of an impact then if you have a population of 10,000
TechnoHead
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds like you're about to start wearing vintage clothing and take hallucinogens
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't say no, because you don't know what you are saying no to. If society has little meaning, then nation has little meaning too.
Well a nation is based upon legacy and institutions. A society as I said is just a subjective geographical area with people in it. So meaningless.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.54%
No I don't (151)
46.89%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.57%

Watched Threads