Rose67
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can a fellow Biologist please explain to me Phylogeny and how it links to classification?
lissy12345alicia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
phylogeny is the evolutionary relationship between organisms based on modern classification. The more closely related organisms are the more recent ancestors (if that makes sense)? They are studied by using the classification systems of the domain system (animalia, plantae, prokaryotes, fungi, protoctista) and taxonomic rank (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genius, species).
katieMCR
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lissy12345alicia)
phylogeny is the evolutionary relationship between organisms based on modern classification. The more closely related organisms are the more recent ancestors (if that makes sense)? They are studied by using the classification systems of the domain system (animalia, plantae, prokaryotes, fungi, protoctista) and taxonomic rank (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genius, species).
so does this mean it's like the evolutionary tree thing? with common ancestors?
Rose67
Rep:
?
Ok so whats the difference between phylogeny and taxnomy?
lissy12345alicia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
phylogeny is the study of evolutionary relationships where as taxonomy is the principles behind classification.

(Original post by Rose67)
Ok so whats the difference between phylogeny and taxnomy?
Rose67
Rep:
?
phylogeny is the study of evolutionary relationships where as taxonomy is the principles behind classification.
I think I get it thank you
lissy12345alicia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
its not the most interesting topics to be fair, i have only just started to understand it.....
Rose67
Rep:
?
its not the most interesting topics to be fair, i have only just started to understand it.....
I get the rest and it is simple enough i just can't really seem to grasp it like I can the other topics
lissy12345alicia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rose67)
I get the rest and it is simple enough i just can't really seem to grasp it like I can the other topics
no me either and it doesn't help that it was the last topic we had done so i haven't had chance to fully understand it. i think when answering past questions they are asking for specific answers and i find the questions tend to be vague, which is annoying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads