Severe mental illness Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Started a thread yesterday but it seems to have disappeared... I'm filling a form and it's asked me if I have severe mental health problems and have no idea if my own issues fall under the banner of "serious psychiatric illness", so what particular disorders would they be on about?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
What is it you have been diagnosed with?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not the disorder itself but how it affects you. For example, some people have mild depression and some have a more severe case.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What is it you have been diagnosed with?
Misophonia (selective sound sensitivity syndrome)... my actual diagnosis is obsessive-compulsive disorder/OCD, but I'm certain it's misophonia, only that it's a rarely diagnosed condition so getting a diagnosis outside Amsterdam/possibly certain parts of the US is very difficult, if not impossible. OCD, in other words...
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Misophonia (selective sound sensitivity syndrome)... my actual diagnosis is obsessive-compulsive disorder/OCD, but I'm certain it's misophonia, only that it's a rarely diagnosed condition so getting a diagnosis outside Amsterdam/possibly certain parts of the US is very difficult, if not impossible. OCD, in other words...
I'm not entirely sure but I know that Bipolar, Schizophrenia and Major Depressive disorder are all classed as SMI generally I think it depends how it affects you, for example if you're housebound due to OCD that'd probably be SMI by the sounds of things you're functioning quite well so I wouldn't say it is a SMI tbh.
Katy100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi OP,

I have very severe OCD (have spent 3 months hospitalized and over a year almost housebound with it) and moderate unipolar Depression and while you can refer to them as 'mental disorders' and even 'severe mental disorders', they are not grouped under the label 'Serious Mental Illness' (SMI) which is a very specific term used to refer to conditions that involve Psychosis (Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Schizoaffective disorder [and sometimes very severe/psychotic major depression]).

I'm not sure if 'Severe Psychiatric Illness' is the same as SMI or not, if so then OCD wouldn't be classed as this. If you are very severely affected by OCD then you could just briefly describe your condition maybe.

I think possibly the reason for your OCD diagnosis is that one form of OCD is Sensorimotor OCD; sufferers typically are hypersensitive to a normal bodily process or sense (so this could be breathing, swallowing, hearing).
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Katy100)
Hi OP,

I have very severe OCD (have spent 3 months hospitalized and over a year almost housebound with it) and moderate unipolar Depression and while you can refer to them as 'mental disorders' and even 'severe mental disorders', they are not grouped under the label 'Serious Mental Illness' (SMI) which is a very specific term used to refer to conditions that involve Psychosis (Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Schizoaffective disorder [and sometimes very severe/psychotic major depression]).

I'm not sure if 'Severe Psychiatric Illness' is the same as SMI or not, if so then OCD wouldn't be classed as this. If you are very severely affected by OCD then you could just briefly describe your condition maybe.

I think possibly the reason for your OCD diagnosis is that one form of OCD is Sensorimotor OCD; sufferers typically are hypersensitive to a normal bodily process or sense (so this could be breathing, swallowing, hearing).
That last part is really interesting where did you learn about that- the sensorimotor OCD??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.19%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.6%
It was TERRIBLE (144)
7.7%

Watched Threads