Does anyone else use a typewriter for revision notes? Watch

Henrykitchen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in year 11, and I've been typing up a lot of revision notes on my Brother manual typewriter. I just find it a lot better than hand-writing notes (takes too long and my handwriting is terrible:P) or typing them up on a computer (too many distractions: twitter, games, etc.).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a technophobeby any means: I possess a gaming PC and several laptops, and have extensive knowledge of HTML and Python. I plan to study electronic engineering at university. I'm just wondering if I'm alone in this (somewhat strange) method of producing notes.

Before I get a torrent of people telling me that typewriters are slow and useless, I can touch-type at 90wpm and I make less mistakes on a typewriter as it is harder to hit two keys at once. I use a laptop in lessons and exams because of my handwriting, and I sort of wish that I could use a typewriter in exams
sonysharp11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
do what works for you love
NikolaT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's... that's pretty cool actually. I'm envious.
Henrykitchen
Rep:
?
(Original post by NikolaT)
That's... that's pretty cool actually. I'm envious.
The great thing about typewriters is how little they cost to buy and run - they are around £30 on ebay, whereas a decent laptop costs over 3 times that much. And consider the cost of ink cartridges for a printer - I change my cartridges about once every 2 months, which costs me around £120 per year.

My typewriter has had the ribbon that I am currently using in it since 1983, and it still runs fine! They are about £4.20 on Amazon right now, which means that typewriters cost 13p per year to run! I doubt that ribbons will be discontinued any time soon as India has millions of typewriters still in use: the reasoning behind this is that manual typewriters need no electricity, and the national grid in India is... unreliable at best.
superduper9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow that's cool buddy I've never used a typewriter myself.

Doesn't the sound distract your revision or get annoying?
iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I love the sound that typewriters make and pressing the buttons down I don't know why though
tígertíger
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've never typed notes that way and probably wouldn't be able to type quickly enough on one anyway, but it does sound cool!
Henrykitchen
Rep:
?
(Original post by superduper9)
Wow that's cool buddy I've never used a typewriter myself.

Doesn't the sound distract your revision or get annoying?
I seem to 'get into the zone' when I use a typewriter, meaning that I do not really notice the sound as such (but if I have a headache, I have a pair of noise-cancelling headphones :P). I think that everyone should have a chance to use a typewriter at some point in their lives - it is a fun thing to do! Try pestering parents and grandparents - you never know where those things are hiding!

(Original post by iodo345)
I love the sound that typewriters make and pressing the buttons down I don't know why though
Yes, I find it a very rewarding and tactile experience that you just don't get with the membrane keyboards that computers come with today - after all, you're actually just pressing a lever to whack a lump of metal onto some paper through a ribbon, rather than squishing a piece of rubber down until two contacts hit each other like in computer keyboards!
Henrykitchen
Rep:
?
(Original post by tígertíger)
I've never typed notes that way and probably wouldn't be able to type quickly enough on one anyway, but it does sound cool!
It takes a while to get used to the heavier force needed to press the keys, but after a few days, it's plain sailing! However, I suppose I have an advantage as I play the piano/synthesizer (stronger hand and arm muscles) and I use a computer 5 hours a day at least at school (super-duper fast touch-typing :P). Give it a try!
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think my mum has one somewhere might give it a try. I had an electric one when I was in school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Henrykitchen
Rep:
?
(Original post by gemmam)
I think my mum has one somewhere might give it a try. I had an electric one when I was in school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have to say, I've never tried an electric! They look like fun...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes - I am a regular donator! (19)
6.13%
Yes - I have once or twice (20)
6.45%
I would like to... (134)
43.23%
No - I cannot give blood (74)
23.87%
No - I don't wish to (63)
20.32%