Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone really want to go to a uni that doesn't do there course? watch

Announcements
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    I have just been to visit Oxford courtesy of my 6th form who paid for everything, Oxford don't actually do the course i want (maths + psychology) so i thought 'ah well, this is nice, a free couple of days away with my m8s'

    I stayed in Balliol + i looked at the maths + psychology departments (i couldn't just shop), not expecting it to be that different from other unis. but, i kinda fell in love with the place...the one thing is said i wouldn't do (knowing that it just isn't an option)

    There was a talk on doing PPP in which i could psychology + philosophy- which i really haven't considered until now. i do philosophy at A level + love it, but i don't kno whether it's a bit 2 heavy as a degree OR i could just apply for Psychology on it's own.

    I was thinking about my personal statement on my UCAS from- if i hark on about why i love maths + psychology (cos that's still my ideal course i think) so much 4 a straight psychology course at oxford they mght think it's a bit weird... but if i don't apply + i change my mind then it's 2 late....

    has anyone any advice??? i am so unsure whether to apply or not (i think i got as good a chance of being accepted as anyone). has anyone done philosophy as a degree (or even psychology or maths), particularly oxford? what college do people want to go to?(i really liked balliol)

    thanx, lou xxx
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    they dont offer maths with sykology because those two really dont go together well. maths with philosophy however is the best combination you can get. I am doing just striaght maths. however u do get alot of options
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Sort of. I had planned for two years to do maths at UEA, but then time came to submit my UCAS form and I wimped out of maths cos I didn't think I would be good enough to keep pace.

    The only other subject I could realistically do was engineering which they don't offer, so I had to choose another uni and went for Exeter.

    I keep telling myself I've made the right choice, but I'm still not convinced.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by bloodhound
    they dont offer maths with sykology because those two really dont go together well. maths with philosophy however is the best combination you can get. I am doing just striaght maths. however u do get alot of options
    i totally disagree! if you do the physiological side of psychology as scinetific, and therefore mathematic approach is very useful. Results that cannot be quantified are useless- so a grasp of statistics is essential. I also want to do maths + psychology because although i lov psychology, i really want a career in finance + i think maths would definately be an advantage in training to be an actuary + it leaves my options completely open.

    keep your opinions coming! i need all the help i can get...
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    i agree that having a decent grasp of statistics is worthwhile but apart from that i would agree with bloodhound that the two subjects are largely unrelated.

    If you do maths at uni the course has very little "practical" work ie statistical work etc but lots on analysis, abstract algebra, group theory topology etc which are useless for psychology. Philosophy is offered with mathematics for the overlap they have in the study of logic and fact.

    im not sure if any unis will do psychology + maths (im probably completely wrong). I reckon your best bet is maths + philosophy or straight psychology.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by It'sPhil...
    If you do maths at uni the course has very little "practical" work ie statistical work etc but lots on analysis, abstract algebra, group theory topology etc which are useless for psychology. Philosophy is offered with mathematics for the overlap they have in the study of logic and fact.

    i disagree. Maths nowdays at uni lean on the practial side as well. i mean u get options. and depends on what u want to do. i want to keep my options broad rite now. i will probably go into economics or finance or actuary . if it pays good i may as well go further research
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    i was in your situation, well nearly. i wanted to do psychology and statistics. but most places only offered psychology and maths, as there is a need to understand the ideas of mathematical annalysis in practical psycohlogy.

    btw loads of places offer it as they compliment each other perfectly.

    but i really really wanted to go to durham, and they didnt offer it. so i went for straight psychology, knowing that you normally do at least 2 modlues in other subjects- which i could do both in maths. however i didnt get in on this course- i got in on the natural science course instead so im ending up doing a mixture of both that i can pick.

    if i was you, id go for the uni you love before the course. by the time you get to arriving in uni, you'll prob have changed your mind on what course you want to do and its so much easier to change a course than change a uni.

    love Katy ***
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by bloodhound
    i disagree. Maths nowdays at uni lean on the practial side as well. i mean u get options. and depends on what u want to do. i want to keep my options broad rite now. i will probably go into economics or finance or actuary . if it pays good i may as well go further research
    i agree that you do applied mathematics where you learn about mathematical models, such as game theory or financial calculus or risk theory for options with an economic slant but what i meant was you are unlikely to learn anything that is directly vocational.
    in lou p lou's case she says it is necessary to be able to analyse data. this sort of analysis is unlikely to be taught at uni directly but you will be trained at your job, same with actuaries and financial consultants etc.

    The advantage of having a maths degree in these cases is that you have demonstrated you are a good problem solver have all the basic techniques - they do not expect your degree to simply be 'training' for a job
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by lou p lou
    I have just been to visit Oxford courtesy of my 6th form who paid for everything, Oxford don't actually do the course i want (maths + psychology) so i thought 'ah well, this is nice, a free couple of days away with my m8s'

    I stayed in Balliol + i looked at the maths + psychology departments (i couldn't just shop), not expecting it to be that different from other unis. but, i kinda fell in love with the place...the one thing is said i wouldn't do (knowing that it just isn't an option)

    There was a talk on doing PPP in which i could psychology + philosophy- which i really haven't considered until now. i do philosophy at A level + love it, but i don't kno whether it's a bit 2 heavy as a degree OR i could just apply for Psychology on it's own.

    I was thinking about my personal statement on my UCAS from- if i hark on about why i love maths + psychology (cos that's still my ideal course i think) so much 4 a straight psychology course at oxford they mght think it's a bit weird... but if i don't apply + i change my mind then it's 2 late....

    has anyone any advice??? i am so unsure whether to apply or not (i think i got as good a chance of being accepted as anyone). has anyone done philosophy as a degree (or even psychology or maths), particularly oxford? what college do people want to go to?(i really liked balliol)

    thanx, lou xxx
    Don't worry about what you put in the UCAS personal statement section - you'll have another separate oxbridge form to fill in on which you can re-write your statement to suit the course you're applying for!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    thankyou again everyone.

    i have decided what i am going to do (i think). i am going to apply to oxford to do experimental psychology and everywhere else (newcastle, st andrews, reading) to maths + psychology.

    IF i do get accepted to oxford (i don't think i will, but at least i'll have tried) then i may not even accept it if i decide that i prefer the maths/psychology course at newcastle (if i get accepted there), but at least i can say i had a go at oxford + i'll hav til next spring to actually decide.

    thankyou everyone!
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    How did you get the trip to Oxford?

    Are you predicted AAA and that is why you got the free trip?

    I want to go to Oxford but I don't think I'll get the grades. I'd love to visit it though with the school to see what it is like.

    I want to either become an accountant or a music teacher.

    My nearest uni (Univerisity of Glamorgan) does accountancy but not music. I'm considering either the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama or Cardiff.

    But I still have a year to wait before deciding.

    I should be more worried about the 21st August (GCSE results day), I either get a C or D in English and I really need a C!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Our college runs an 'excellance challenge' programme. basically if you get an average points score in your gcses (A) then you get put on it + they make sure you're aware of things like oxbridge open days + other stuff they'd think you'd be interestted in.

    The teachers at college all know who is in it + i think it's the head of your department (in my case the head of psychology, because my form all do psychology + we have a psych teacher as a tutor) who sorts stuff out- he certainly e-mails the psychology with extra reading + he was the one who approached my about the trip to oxford. We had a talk at oxford for just our school by someone who tries to get pupils from further education (colleges as opposed to 6th froms) to apply + she + out head of excellence challenge arranged the trip to coincide with the open days.

    i think it's quite a good system- it's certainly better than that of my old school- a v posh private school who have about 10% each year going to oxbridge- they just let you go visit + organise everything yourself.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Wow 10% go to Oxford!!

    At my school, we usually have 1 (2 if we luckly) person per year going!

    Your very lucky to be on that program!
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    My brother is doing PPE at oxford (St Catz (the 'z' makes me cringe slightly but that's how they spell the shortened thing...anyway it's quite an ugly college in my opinion but it has a good location etc etc...not too far out from town and stuff and they are refurbishing the rooms etc at the mo...*woffles on*)) Anyway I wasn't sure if you meant PPP (if so what is the third P?) or PPE which is what I am now mumbling about...

    I have just realised I am thinking of something totally irrelivant so please ignor me

    *wrong subjects etc etc*

    Egan

    P.S applogies for this non helpful and generally pointless post

    P.P.S good luck with your applications, I hope you get the needed results
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Egan, your message does make sense (kinda).
    i do mean PPP- you can choose to do at least 2 subjects out of Psychology, Philosophy + Physiology.
    I'm guessing your brother does Politics, Philosophy and Economics.

    lou xxx
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by lou p lou
    Egan, your message does make sense (kinda).
    i do mean PPP- you can choose to do at least 2 subjects out of Psychology, Philosophy + Physiology.
    I'm guessing your brother does Politics, Philosophy and Economics.
    Yes...I just mis-read your subjects that had been stated originally and then realised after woffling on...anyway *sigh*...

    blah
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hey there,
    i am really stuck as well. i am planning 2do psychology and philosophy and would love 2 go 2 oxford but my school told me basically that im as thick as **** and not oxford material, however i have just got 4 really high A's in my A-S'S SO NOW IM RETHINKING... also if i dont know where else 2apply??? Any ideas?? thank u xXx
 
 
 
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.