The Student Room Group

What To Do

So I'm due to take my exams for a Higher Tier GCSE Maths qualification in about three days. Due to a number of factors, I haven't been able to learn much at all for the whole of the year, and I'm very unlikely to get an A*, the grade I wanted to get starting out and know I'm capable of. For those reasons - that I haven't actually learnt any Maths, which I do actually want to, and that I'm unlikely to get a decent grade - I want to study it again next year, but I'm wondering how to go about this.

Should I throw the exam entirely, or aim for the best I can do and resit next year? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that, despite my being under 21 (I'm 20 this month and will be by September 2015), GCSE Maths is no longer free to take if you've already got a C or higher. Essentially, the point of this thread is to ask how true that is. If it is, I'll be wanting to throw the coming exams rather than aim to get the highest I can, just because I can't afford to pay to retake it.

Would really appreciate genuine help here, thanks.
Reply 1
Anyone at all? Really, really need an answer to this, I've been unable to find information anywhere online.
Reply 2
Original post by Hashim123
Anyone at all? Really, really need an answer to this, I've been unable to find information anywhere online.

A grade C is indeed a pass so you will have to pay next time ...
I do not think the resit fee will break the bank ...
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
A grade C is indeed a pass so you will have to pay next time ...
I do not think the resit fee will break the bank ...

Sorry, I should clarify - when I say resit I mean enrolling for the course again in September, not just resitting the exam.

What makes me worry even more is that I've also heard from my teacher that the course will cost something like £800 to enroll in next year, regardless of age.

And as for not breaking the bank, anything that isn't free breaks my bank atm. :smile:
Reply 4
Sorry, I should clarify - when I say resit I mean enrolling for the course again in September, not just resitting the exam.

What makes me worry even more is that I've also heard from my teacher that the course will cost something like £800 to enroll in next year, regardless of age.

And as for not breaking the bank, anything that isn't free breaks my bank atm. :smile:

then you should self study in order to resit if you sat the course already and save £800.
the cost of just sitting the exam as an external candidate is low
Reply 5
Original post by TeeEm
then you should self study in order to resit if you sat the course already and save £800.
the cost of just sitting the exam as an external candidate is low

As I explained in my post, I essentially sat nothing. I haven't been able to learn for the whole of the year, so don't know GCSE Maths, and me just re-sitting the exam isn't going to do anything.
Reply 6
As I explained in my post, I essentially sat nothing. I haven't been able to learn for the whole of the year, so don't know GCSE Maths, and me just re-sitting the exam isn't going to do anything.

then you are in a no win situation, and I do not envy your position ...
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm
then you are in a no win situation, and I do not envy your position ...

What I mentioned about 2015-2016 courses costing £800 even for students under 21 - are you positive that that's true, or have I misunderstood?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
What I mentioned about 2015-2015 courses costing £800 even for students under 21 - are you positive that that's true, or have I misunderstood?

It depends on the local authority.
A similar situation arose 2 years ago with one of my students (he decided to redo his A level at 20)
Enfield LEA and Barnet LEA (closest to his house were charging)
Welwyn Garden City College was free.

you have to check your own.
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm
It depends on the local authority.
A similar situation arose 2 years ago with one of my students (he decided to redo his A level at 20)
Enfield LEA and Barnet LEA (closest to his house were charging)
Welwyn Garden City College was free.

you have to check your own.

I figured that might be the case. Looks like I'll be ringing the college first chance I can - just gotta hope I don't get one of my teachers, cos that could be awkward. :lol:

Thanks for the help, Tee, really appreciate it.
Reply 10
I figured that might be the case. Looks like I'll be ringing the college first chance I can - just gotta hope I don't get one of my teachers, cos that could be awkward. :lol:

Thanks for the help, Tee, really appreciate it.

I hope it works for you.
All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending