The Student Room Group

Important to anyone working towards an A* in the 2015 GCSEs

My headteacher told our current year 11s that the exam boards have changed their grade boundaries so that only the top 5% of the students that took the test will get an A*. I am aiming for mostly A* so you can imagine what i am worried about. i would like to know if this is true and if this applies to the current year 11 students that are currently taking the exams.
please tell me what you have been told and what you know yourself.
Original post by haseeb557
My headteacher told our current year 11s that the exam boards have changed their grade boundaries so that only the top 5% of the students that took the test will get an A*. I am aiming for mostly A* so you can imagine what i am worried about. i would like to know if this is true and if this applies to the current year 11 students that are currently taking the exams.

umm, it's always been like that, 5 percent of candidates get A*, 10 percent get As , grade boundaries vary every year, but change only a little bit. check here to find out what percentage of people get what grades, this is for the people who took GCSES in 2014 http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/gcse.htm As you can see about 6 percent of people get A* for maths
(edited 8 years ago)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
no they have not because if you look at the report of last years gcse, you will see that 16% of the biology students got an A*. so if they really change it, it would be a dramatic change to grade boundaries.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by shwansalah
umm, it's always been like that, 5 percent of candidates get A*, 10 percent get As , grade boundaries vary every year, but change only a little bit. check here to find out what percentage of people get what grades, this is for the people who took GCSES in 2014 http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/gcse.htm As you can see about 6 percent of people get A* for maths

no they have not because if you look at the report of last years gcse, you will see that 16% of the biology students got an A*. so if they really change it, it would be a dramatic change to grade boundaries
Reply 5
no they have not because if you look at the report of last years gcse, you will see that 16% of the biology students got an A*. so if they really change it, it would be a dramatic change to grade boundaries.

we will all be applying to uni/get a job in more or less the same year. If less people get A* (i.e. it was harder this year), then entry requirements will be lower etc and unis wont look for 10A* (although if you do then you are at a massive advantage) at GCSE.
don't worry if anything goes wrong in the exams- if you found it hard so did the rest of the country
no they have not because if you look at the report of last years gcse, you will see that 16% of the biology students got an A*. so if they really change it, it would be a dramatic change to grade boundaries

You're in year 11, exams wont be made harder for you, only for the current year 9s it will be made harder
(edited 8 years ago)

In most subjects it is about 5%. In subjects where a lot of the students are high ability (e.g. Triple Science, certain MFL subjects like Italian etc....) it is obviously higher. Do not worry, just aim high.
There is NO evidence that anything is changing this year - I suspect he was just wanting you all to work hard.
The grade boundaries vary with exam perfomance so it can only be set after the paper is marked so your headmaster was just trolling dw.
so if top 5% people get A*... Just wondering anyone know the predictions for how many pupils there are in England our age range sitting exams?
Reply 11
I thought the grade boundaries changed depending on how many people across the country did on a particular exam?

This is not true for current GCSEs. At the moment the % of students who take a GCSE who get an A* varies enormously - about 1% of Science candidates did last year but 15% of Chemistry candidates (with Latin and Ancient Greek considerably higher)* - and nothing's changing for this year. What he might be referring to is the new style GCSEs (current Year 9s will be the first to take them) where the highest grade, a Grade 9, will be limited to a fixed %.

* data available here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/examination-results/gcses

Quick Reply

Latest