The Student Room Group

Will i get funding?

It's now been exactly a year since I left university, so heres the story: I studied for 2 years at a university away from home so I lived in halls for 2 years and did 2 different courses because one was not my cup of tea and the other i joined for the wrong reasons, though I did suffer major depression and anxiety through both of them resulting in me isolating myself in my room. I can't say they are gone to this day I still get the same anxiety looking for jobs that I've been doing the for the past year. I didn't really get help for it so that excludes my grounds for extenuating circumstances.

Both courses were BSc sandwich degrees (4 years) and I am planning to do a Higher National Diploma (HND) in a related discipline since I think its better for me to take a vocational path once again.

So since I have spent 2 years of funding on the 2 courses at the same university, student finance told me if I wanted to do the same course again I would need to pay for the first year myself since I failed it but I did get 60 credits (3 units) from the combination of the courses if that makes any difference; leaving the other 2 years that student finance can support me.

Can I use those 2 years of student finance for the HND that I wish to study? or are those 2 years only available if I wanted to do another sandwich course that I failed?
As the HND I want to do only takes 2 years to complete plus it will be at a different university.

I'm just doing this as an act of desperation as I cannot get a job and I think my lack of qualifications is making it suffer, I do have a level 3 BTEC with top grades but I don't know if thats enough.

(student finance don't have an email so I don't really want to call them explaining all this)
Original post by scorpius14
It's now been exactly a year since I left university, so heres the story: I studied for 2 years at a university away from home so I lived in halls for 2 years and did 2 different courses because one was not my cup of tea and the other i joined for the wrong reasons, though I did suffer major depression and anxiety through both of them resulting in me isolating myself in my room. I can't say they are gone to this day I still get the same anxiety looking for jobs that I've been doing the for the past year. I didn't really get help for it so that excludes my grounds for extenuating circumstances.

Both courses were BSc sandwich degrees (4 years) and I am planning to do a Higher National Diploma (HND) in a related discipline since I think its better for me to take a vocational path once again.

So since I have spent 2 years of funding on the 2 courses at the same university, student finance told me if I wanted to do the same course again I would need to pay for the first year myself since I failed it but I did get 60 credits (3 units) from the combination of the courses if that makes any difference; leaving the other 2 years that student finance can support me.

Can I use those 2 years of student finance for the HND that I wish to study? or are those 2 years only available if I wanted to do another sandwich course that I failed?
As the HND I want to do only takes 2 years to complete plus it will be at a different university.

I'm just doing this as an act of desperation as I cannot get a job and I think my lack of qualifications is making it suffer, I do have a level 3 BTEC with top grades but I don't know if thats enough.

(student finance don't have an email so I don't really want to call them explaining all this)

Whatever university course you do next you would need to fund the first year yourself - you don't have two years of funding left, you have the length of your new course + 1 year- any years already used, so if that were the HND it would be 2+1=3-2 unless you can supply written evidence of the problems that caused you to drop out.

Before you rush into a new course you need to think
-Am I well enough to do this? If you are still having problems now it might be worth getting the m addresse first.
-Will it help get a job? Many employers don't recognise an HND on its own and most degrees/HND's on their own don't help get you a job, experience is needed too.
Reply 2
Say I trusted your knowledge on that I need to fund the first year for myself, will it be possible to get further financial help? since I don't have the money to start a new course seeing as atm I am on jobseekers allowance. and that alone only gets me £2500 per year. If that is so I might have to reconsider my options.

The mental health issues have died down and I have the mental state to continue studying again and I know whats at stake now that I experienced university for 2 years and took in what information I could.

In response to it helping me get a job, I have been told on many occasions that I have big competition with people who are also finding work in the IT industry, office work, as well as work experience which is as equally as difficult to come by, which is why I have been focusing on apprenticeships even though most are aimed at 18-21 year olds (governments narrow-minded vision in trying to get young people into work, while i'm 23 yrs old myself); i've been turned down by a few apprenticeships at interview stages I might add.
Say I trusted your knowledge on that I need to fund the first year for myself, will it be possible to get further financial help? since I don't have the money to start a new course seeing as atm I am on jobseekers allowance. and that alone only gets me £2500 per year. If that is so I might have to reconsider my options.

The mental health issues have died down and I have the mental state to continue studying again and I know whats at stake now that I experienced university for 2 years and took in what information I could.

In response to it helping me get a job, I have been told on many occasions that I have big competition with people who are also finding work in the IT industry, office work, as well as work experience which is as equally as difficult to come by, which is why I have been focusing on apprenticeships even though most are aimed at 18-21 year olds (governments narrow-minded vision in trying to get young people into work, while i'm 23 yrs old myself); i've been turned down by a few apprenticeships at interview stages I might add.

you could get the minimum maintainance loan of £3000 but you'd need to fund the rest. Have you had feedback as to why you haven't been chosen after interview? That might help

There is a 24+ loan which is similar to the Student Finance Loaning system which you could use when you turn 24 to fund an Apprenticeship. The reason you probably got turned down may be due to the fact that you aren't legible for full funding, however the 24+ loan will sort that out - the issue is waiting till you're 24, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending