The Student Room Group

Is this normal?

Apparently, the centre I'm taking my exams in are forcing the candidates to write down the model of the calculators we use on the exam paper itself.

I've been taking edexcel exams for the past three years and this is the first time I hear of such thing, is it just this specific centre or is it a new rule that's being applied this year?

Also, we're only allowed to bring in one calculator to the exam hall
Reply 1
Original post by SickEnigma
Apparently, the centre I'm taking my exams in are forcing the candidates to write down the model of the calculators we use on the exam paper itself.

I've been taking edexcel exams for the past three years and this is the first time I hear of such thing, is it just this specific centre or is it a new rule that's being applied this year?

Neither of those rules is a requirement of either Edexcel or JCQ.
The centre is of course allowed to institute a process that ensures the calculator regulations are correctly observed.
It is abnormal.
Normally the invigilators will check the model on entry, with no upper limit to how many you can carry in.
I have several calculators and many pockets, so i took 4 into one maths exam - 1 Graphical, 2 Scientific, 1 'normal'.
Reply 4
Original post by an_atheist
It is abnormal.
Normally the invigilators will check the model on entry, with no upper limit to how many you can carry in.
I have several calculators and many pockets, so i took 4 into one maths exam - 1 Graphical, 2 Scientific, 1 'normal'.

It made my life easy, no need to go back and forth on calculation on one calculator, just move through them all sequentially, and you re fully equipped for any question, with spares.

Thereis one exam that I mark that insists that you write it down. I think it's the CIE A level exams that are set for the Ministry of Education in Singapore. There are no such rules for Edexcel. I checked the IAL specification in case that is what you are doing, but there's no mention there either.
I didn't even get checked for my calculator. I brought in my graphing TI with a couple formulas into Core 2, plan to do the same for Core 3 and 4.
Reply 8
Original post by ALevelBro
I didn't even get checked for my calculator. I brought in my graphing TI with a couple formulas into Core 2, plan to do the same for Core 3 and 4.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending