Just me, or are "remakes" virtually taking over film right now? Watch

Zander01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Obviously there have always been remakes or reboots or even "reinterpretations" (lol), but this year in particular it appears to be far more prolific.

I mean just from the top of my head there are so many already produced are reported to be in production;

Jurassic World
Mad Max
Point Break (why?)
The Crow
American Werewolf in London
Jumanji (why?)
Highlander
The Mummy (why?!)
Star Wars
Van Helsing (why?)
I am Legend

etc etc

Although admittedly I am looking forward to some of them like the IT remake.

Otherwise, It's just completely boring. But as long as Hollywood makes huge amounts of money from it, I suppose it'll only get worse. Until they run out of remakes to remake and reboots to reboot until they'll eventually have to come up with original ideas again.
blackened_sky
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Star Wars, Jurassic World, Mad Max are sequels.

I Am Legend deserves a remake because the film didn't do the book justice.

The others are all mostly average films that could do with being remade too, apart from Jumanji and American Werewolf.
holmes221
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zander01)
Obviously there have always been remakes or reboots or even "reinterpretations" (lol), but this year in particular it appears to be far more prolific.

I mean just from the top of my head there are so many already produced are reported to be in production;

Jurassic World
Mad Max
Point Break (why?)
The Crow
American Werewolf in London
Jumanji (why?)
Highlander
The Mummy (why?!)
Star Wars
Van Helsing (why?)
I am Legend

etc etc

Although admittedly I am looking forward to some of them like the IT remake.

Otherwise, It's just completely boring. But as long as Hollywood makes huge amounts of money from it, I suppose it'll only get worse. Until they run out of remakes to remake and reboots to reboot until they'll eventually have to come up with original ideas again.
This is because franchises are less of a risk for the Holly wood companies invested in making money. People already know franchises so are more likely to be aware of it and go and see it. Its sad but true fact.
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I didn't realise sequels were 'remakes'. I hope you're not doing film studies, matey.
orange crush
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are only so many different stories you can tell, so filmmakers have the choice to either remake them, or rip them off in a more subtle way.

They lean towards the remake because people will pay to go and see remakes of their favourites even if they fully expect it not to live up to the original.
Zander01
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackened_sky)
Star Wars, Jurassic World, Mad Max are sequels.

I Am Legend deserves a remake because the film didn't do the book justice.

The others are all mostly average films that could do with being remade too, apart from Jumanji and American Werewolf.
Fair enough regarding them being as sequels.

I very much doubt that many of the remakes will be a huge improvement, if at all on any of the originals. Only a handful of remakes spring to mind in regards to besting the originals. Then again, maybe that's just nostalgia inflaming my bias.
blackened_sky
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fair enough regarding them being as sequels.

I very much doubt that many of the remakes will be a huge improvement, if at all on any of the originals. Only a handful of remakes spring to mind in regards to besting the originals. Then again, maybe that's just nostalgia inflaming my bias.
Most of the time it's great films that are remade, hence the drop in quality. But the likes of Van Helsing, The Mummy and The Crow... Any remakes couldn't possibly be worse.

Also forgot Highlander in my other post. The first one is fantastic. The sequels not so much, they could definitely pull off a decent franchise reboot there.
Stefano93
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Soon we'll see Jack Dawson rising from Titanic tbh in a horror sequel.
Zander01
Rep:
?
(Original post by callum_law)
I didn't realise sequels were 'remakes'. I hope you're not doing film studies, matey.
No, I did a non-mickey mouse degree course. (Just kidding films studies students).

To be fair, I haven't seen Jurassic World or the Star Wars trailer. Mad Max could be considered as either a sequel or reboot, perhaps even both.
Zander01
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackened_sky)
Most of the time it's great films that are remade, hence the drop in quality. But the likes of Van Helsing, The Mummy and The Crow... Any remakes couldn't possibly be worse.

Also forgot Highlander in my other post. The first one is fantastic. The sequels not so much, they could definitely pull off a decent franchise reboot there.
Yeah but I can't see how those films could possibly be better either. I mean, just like Point Break they were bad in a cheesy sort of way but they had a certain charisma which many films these days seem to lack.

Highlander is one of the reboots im admittedly looking forward to seeing. They'll never be able to replicate that accent tho
blackened_sky
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah but I can't see how those films could possibly be better either. I mean, just like Point Break they were bad in a cheesy sort of way but they had a certain charisma which many films these days seem to lack.

Highlander is one of the reboots im admittedly looking forward to seeing. They'll never be able to replicate that accent tho
I reckon Van Helsing and The Crow could be loads better. Agree with you on The Mummy though, the films are bad but they've got a charm about them, because of the cheesiness.
Aivicore
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Remakes and half-baked superhero movies. Make it end.
VladThe1mpaler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why are people bashing The Crow? It's a great film and people are comparing it to The Mummy and Van Helsing for some reason
EggMayo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're also doing it again and recasting it to be more diverse like having a female character where the previous film had a male one etc, deliberately contradicting what was written in the book to make it seem "progressive". Lets be honest as well, most of the remakes are no way near as good as the original.
Plasmapause
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We're also getting another Fantastic four movie, and remake of a videogame-to-movie movie (Agent 47). Both of which I don't really have high hopes for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.84%
No (155)
74.16%

Watched Threads