The Student Room Group

Is medicine an option anymore?

For as long as I've known I've wanted to into the medicine field but after sitting most of my exams I feel as though all hope has gone. I do chemistry, biology, maths and psychology but judging from the exams I have probably gotten D's and E's, if i resit next year i doubt I'll get A's so is there any point in applying for medicine? I also don't go the best of schools and my teachers apart from 2 are awful.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Give up.

Unless you think you can go down the route of resitting the exams whilst doing A2 exams and get A*'s/A's.
Reply 2
Doesn't look like it, nope. Sorry.
Reply 3
great :frown: well thanks for being honest :smile:
Original post by iAmanze
Give up.

Unless you think you can go down the route of resitting the exams whilst doing A2 exams and get A*'s/A's.
Reply 4
Get into a bio chem (do really well) and medicine after.
Chin up, you really want something in life and it is your passion you need to grab it and not let go.
I'm assuming you are in AS - You'd be surprised to know you may have some options to still get into medicine:
1) You can take on an intensive A-level course in Chemistry, Biology as some unis request that and another of your choice and apply for medicine on a gap year.
2) There are some foundation years, one that might be the most appealing is one at Bradford which allows you to transfer to Leeds medical school once you have completed your foundation year and if unsuccessful they allow a second chance to try and transfers after foundation year.
Link is here: http://www.bradford.ac.uk/study/courses/view/?c=foundation-in-clinical-sciences-medicine-bsc-4-years
3) You can quit A-levels, perhaps work for a bit and try going onto an Access course. These courses are more for mature students who have not either previously studied for formal qualifications or have not studied for a while and want to pursue a career in medicine. For someone your age, I wouldn't recommend this route but have a look into it.
4) GEM (Graduate Entry Medicine), you can go onto medicine after completion of your degree from which some unis do not consider A-levels or GCSEs (maybe apart from having standard English and Maths GCSE) and some unis do ask for specific A-levels. Yes, it is alot more competitive than applying after A-levels, but it is not impossible and people still successfully get onto the course. Some unis want either UKCAT or another exam GAMSAT which is only for graduates.

You have to ask yourself is going into medicine what you really want to do, do the research and gather information and get some work experience.
If so, put your heart into it I'm sure you can do it!
You can't let other people who tell you you can't do something put you off pursuing what you want to do in the future.
All the best!

Original post by MJ16
For as long as I've known I've wanted to into the medicine field but after sitting most of my exams I feel as though all hope has gone. I do chemistry, biology, maths and psychology but judging from the exams I have probably gotten D's and E's, if i resit next year i doubt I'll get A's so is there any point in applying for medicine? I also don't go the best of schools and my teachers apart from 2 are awful.
Reply 6
Thank you so much for all the advice and links, i really appreciate it!:smile:
I don't think it's likely. I got all rejections this year and I also knew people who had straight A's along with a load of work experience who still got rejected. You literally have to have flawless grades and interview technique from what I've noticed and I wouldn't bother applying with those grades as the competition is insane and it will probably just knock your confidence massively like it did mine when you get rejected.
Happy to help!
If you still have exams in the next couple of weeks, just try your best now and think about your options in your summer break.
Good luck :smile:

Original post by MJ16
Thank you so much for all the advice and links, i really appreciate it!:smile:
Wait until you actually have your results before you decide on anything, you may have done better than you think. If your results are decent, and you can persuade your teachers to give you good predictions- at least AAA- then if you apply tactically, so to unis that don't even look at AS results (there are some, look on the TSR 'Applying to your strengths' thing), you still have a chance, although your choices are obviously more limited. Of course, you might have done much better than you thought (I was expecting CDDEUish and got AAABB), and you don't have a problem at all! :smile:
I say it's definitely not over. I was in your exact position, but I was going for vet medicine instead. I got B,C,D in my A levels, did a Biovet science degree and now I'll be starting Vet medicine in September, which has been my dream. I have a lot of friends who've done the same and they have offers at uni's too. If you do go down the graduate route then you'll already have an advantage. You'll have a degree under your belt and proof of your commitment to studying medicine. It'll still be tough competition but you'll stand out above the A level students you're competing with. Uni's really do value dedication and commitment like that. Plus, you'll have to find funding yourself too (I know you can get some funding from the NHS but it'll still be difficult). So the universities know how hard it is as a graduate, but it's definitely not impossible. Plus you're lucky in that there are loads of unis that offer medicine whereas only 8 that do vet med. If I managed to get in with my bad grades, then you can do it with whatever you get too. Keep your chin up and good luck. It isn't over until you stop believing in yourself.
Reply 11
Don't panic too much if it's the medical field you want too go into just make sure you don't give up!
I was told by my teachers at school id have no chance of doing medicine, my AS grades were poor maths chemistry biology and physics all grade D or below.
But then the penny dropped if I actually want to do medicine I'll have to pull my socks up and start doing a lot more work (had to do re takes). Ended up with ABB in maths, bio and Chem, went to Keele university to do a biomedical sciences degree got a first class and now I'm coming towards the end of my first year of med school!!

So if it's been a dream then try to fulfil it!
Reply 12
If your parents have money, look into studying medicine abroad.
My friend it depends what you really enjoy. Sit down and contemplate it for a little bit. I know loooooads of people that loved a subject they were useless at (LOL) but because of their passion and drive they made incredible accomplishments and actually got into the best unis.

You have to take into account that competition, particularly for medicine, is designed in a way to wittle away the dreams of all but the ones who have pristene personal statements and ucas applications.

I wanted to do medicine, but because of my anxiety issues and procrastination I never reached my potential-even though I'd had my glory days as a "gifted & talented student"-->but you see, that doesn't mean a thing. I realised later than I should that I had a bad habit of relying on the teacher for the majority of my learning and understanding. However the only way you really learn and realise your potential is by experimenting with different methods and finding the best way that YOU learn.

The education system is also currently designed in a way that unless you've already developed a comprehensive understanding in GCSEs, the jump to a-levels will eat you alive, as it did with me. What's more, it's daunting and irrational to chose what you want to do for the rest of your life at such a young age when you might not fully grasp your individuality and what you want to do.

Hence I'm happy that I failed my first attempt at A-levels (AS) because this gave me the chance to develop as a person and understand what I was all about. IMO it's much better than rushing headfirst into something if you're not fully convinced it's the path you want to take most.

My interest is in prolonged study and the aquisition of knowledge, and I know so long as I'm allowed to do that I will be extremely happy. Hence I want to study Biomedical science, and develop skills and understanding regarding human physiology-from a research perspective-so that I'll develop a broader perspective and gain experience which will bring me closer to my full potential.

To me, that is so much sweeter than doing things in a monotonous and hasty way. BUT~~~~~ that's just me!!! You should identify what it is that you truly love and want to follow, then that will concentrate and fuel your efforts so that, after plenty of deliberation and research, you'll be able to discern what YOU'RE all about, because that's all that matters. (Don't get me wrong, I love people more than anything, but what I mean is that only you can bring about your own success and build momentum by really knowing and chasing your goals in a way that you know will work for you.)

NO ONE BUT YOURSELF knows what you're capable of, or what you're all about.

Decide what you really love and sprint towards your goal with all your effort and know, that sooner or later you will see results. Good luck my friend, all the best :wink:
Original post by MJ16
For as long as I've known I've wanted to into the medicine field but after sitting most of my exams I feel as though all hope has gone.

Surely there are ways to satisfy your wanting to be in the medical field that don't require such high qualifications.

Nurses, pharmacists, etc
Dont worry about the grades if you havent got them yet look to hope instead of defaulting to you failed, apply to some med schools maybe leave one as something else?

Also its worth noting that if you do a science degree instead you can then apply for med school off of that if you did well it makes it a lot easier to get in and theres always foreign unis?

Your school doesnt matter it might be a bonus to be honest if they note your school is **** they might be lenient?
Reply 16
I am study Access to Nursing and it is great! I want to be nurse, but I don't know what type yet. I am learning many things which interest. You can also do Access course. It will get you to healthcare degree. Maybe no medicine - but might not be bad. Medicine very tough both for learn and for family. Have you think about other career which medical?
Reply 17
Original post by MJ16

1. let's talk about this again in August there's no point hypothetical talk right now.
2. If you can't get the A levels go get a degree, 40% of my med class are graduates some applied 5 times! It's not over untill you say it is.
3. You're teachers might be **** but blaming them won't help you unless you're on a special measures school etc. inwhich case you may get away with AAB etc at some unis.
Original post by AliNayeri
My friend it depends what you really enjoy. Sit down and contemplate it for a little bit. I know loooooads of people that loved a subject they were useless at (LOL) but because of their passion and drive they made incredible accomplishments and actually got into the best unis.

You have to take into account that competition, particularly for medicine, is designed in a way to wittle away the dreams of all but the ones who have pristene personal statements and ucas applications.

I wanted to do medicine, but because of my anxiety issues and procrastination I never reached my potential-even though I'd had my glory days as a "gifted & talented student"-->but you see, that doesn't mean a thing. I realised later than I should that I had a bad habit of relying on the teacher for the majority of my learning and understanding. However the only way you really learn and realise your potential is by experimenting with different methods and finding the best way that YOU learn.

The education system is also currently designed in a way that unless you've already developed a comprehensive understanding in GCSEs, the jump to a-levels will eat you alive, as it did with me. What's more, it's daunting and irrational to chose what you want to do for the rest of your life at such a young age when you might not fully grasp your individuality and what you want to do.

Hence I'm happy that I failed my first attempt at A-levels (AS) because this gave me the chance to develop as a person and understand what I was all about. IMO it's much better than rushing headfirst into something if you're not fully convinced it's the path you want to take most.

My interest is in prolonged study and the aquisition of knowledge, and I know so long as I'm allowed to do that I will be extremely happy. Hence I want to study Biomedical science, and develop skills and understanding regarding human physiology-from a research perspective-so that I'll develop a broader perspective and gain experience which will bring me closer to my full potential.

To me, that is so much sweeter than doing things in a monotonous and hasty way. BUT~~~~~ that's just me!!! You should identify what it is that you truly love and want to follow, then that will concentrate and fuel your efforts so that, after plenty of deliberation and research, you'll be able to discern what YOU'RE all about, because that's all that matters. (Don't get me wrong, I love people more than anything, but what I mean is that only you can bring about your own success and build momentum by really knowing and chasing your goals in a way that you know will work for you.)

NO ONE BUT YOURSELF knows what you're capable of, or what you're all about.

Decide what you really love and sprint towards your goal with all your effort and know, that sooner or later you will see results. Good luck my friend, all the best :wink:

A very good post. Clearly, you'll be fine in the long haul.
Some get there very quickly (or so it seems), the majority take a little longer and some never.
Life may seem like a race at times, but we all happily rise to our own level of "incompetance" in the end.
I would say that your level will be further than most, so be happy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Parent_help
A very good post. Clearly, you'll be fine in the long haul.
Some get there very quickly (or so it seems), the majority take a little longer and some never.
Life may seem like a race at times, but we all happily rise to our own level of "incompetance" in the end.
I would say that your level will be further than most, so be happy.

Thank you! Yes, I hope I become more "incompetent" than most XD

Quick Reply

Latest