The Student Room Group

nursing access course 2015

Hi,

In September I will be starting an acess course which is for people who want to study nursing/midwifery at uni. The college mentioned we will be studying biology, psychology and sociology. Out of these three I struggle with biology. I want to know if anyone has studied biology on an access course and what modules did they cover.

I appreciate any comments and advice.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by SeeingIsBelieving
Hi,

In September I will be starting an acess course which is for people who want to study nursing/midwifery at uni. The college mentioned we will be studying biology, psychology and sociology. Out of these three I struggle with biology. I want to know if anyone has studied biology on an access course and what modules did they cover.

Thanks

I am study Access to Nursing and Midwifery online. It is very good course but mainly Human Biology. We are do 30 credits. My tutor is very helpful and explain all. Only little bit of Psychology and Sociology. Most Biology. My course very broken down in easy steps. But not finish yet. Maybe we can help each other?
Hi!
I am just finishing an access course this year and have a place at uni to study nursing in September.
I did 18 credits of biology which was made up of 3 units at 6 credits each.
The first unit was about cells. We learned about the components of a cell and different types of cells, we also learned about diffusion and homeostasis. We were graded by doing a series of short exams and essays.
Unit 2 was the digestive system. We learned how it worked and functioned and unit 3 was about diseases and we learned about different types.

Obviously every access course is different but that's a vague idea. Hope it helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pluswhite
Hi!
I am just finishing access course this year and have a place at uni to study nursing in September.
I did 18 credits of biology which was made up of 3 units at 6 credits each.
The first unit was about cells. We learned about the components of a cell and different types of cells, we also learned about diffusion and homeostasis. We were graded by doing a series of short exams and essays.
Unit 2 was the digestive system. We learned how it worked and functioned and unit 3 was about diseases and we learned about different types.

Obviously every access course is different but that's a vague idea. Hope it helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your uni offer. Which nursing pathway have you chosen?

And what sort of books did you use for the acess course?
Reply 4
Hi i have just completed my access course and am starting coventry uni this sepetember. I did biology and psychology i will admit its not easy but the quality of work expected is good references and evidence to back up what you are saying in your assignments to give more depth and breadth. i achieved full distinctions on my biology units and it was all down to the resources used.

In regards to what units you do, i did Diet and Digestion, Co-ordination and Control, Gas exchange and transport (oxygen and carbon dioxide transporting through body, their purpose and back out through respiratory system), Heredity genetics and protein synthesis (based on DNA how we inherit traits from parents), Organisation of the body and the Musculoskeletal systems.
I completed my course with the online Distance Learning Group, i believe college courses do differ in units to what i have done according to my friends, but the process is the same.

It sounds very scary and intimidating but the books break it all down for you and the better you can explain how and why something is happening the more chance you have of obtaining those Distinctions needed.

I hope this has helped you

Good luck on your course

Becky (Adult Nursing Bsc - Coventry University - Sept 2015 Intake)
Reply 5
Original post by SeeingIsBelieving
Hi,

Thanks

Hey, just finished an access to nursing course and it was very in depth in all subjects as well as health studies. We covered max of 60 credits the biology went from cell structure and function and covered every system and function in the body including enzymes and diseases and immunisation. From what I can see there are many access courses available but try to choose the one that covers the most to get the best possible preparation for a degree course.
Hi still on my access course anyone else??
Original post by becky85
Hi i have just completed my access course and am starting coventry uni this sepetember. I did biology and psychology i will admit its not easy but the quality of work expected is good references and evidence to back up what you are saying in your assignments to give more depth and breadth. i achieved full distinctions on my biology units and it was all down to the resources used.

In regards to what units you do, i did Diet and Digestion, Co-ordination and Control, Gas exchange and transport (oxygen and carbon dioxide transporting through body, their purpose and back out through respiratory system), Heredity genetics and protein synthesis (based on DNA how we inherit traits from parents), Organisation of the body and the Musculoskeletal systems.
I completed my course with the online Distance Learning Group, i believe college courses do differ in units to what i have done according to my friends, but the process is the same.

It sounds very scary and intimidating but the books break it all down for you and the better you can explain how and why something is happening the more chance you have of obtaining those Distinctions needed.

I hope this has helped you

Good luck on your course

Becky (Adult Nursing Bsc - Coventry University - Sept 2015 Intake)

Are there any exams for this access course?

Quick Reply

Latest