Am I too late to apply for funding, credit transfer etc to start in Oct 2015?

Watch
ARoberts2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
I have been thinking about applying for the Open Degree with OU but am unsure of the correct order in which to do things. My situation is:
1. I need to apply for credit transfer as I have 90 credits from a vocational Diploma qualification I completed 11 years ago. I am hoping if I can get full credit for this plus 30 credits from M U 123 which I completed 5 years ago I will only need 240 credits to complete my degree. I'm not going to register for modules yet until I know I'm eligible for credit transfer as this could affect my choices.
2. I need to apply for a tuition fee loan but am aware that the deadline has now passed. Do I apply for this first assuming a cost of £2700 for studying 60 credits in first year? What happens if I don't get the finance in place in time for the course start date? I can't afford to pay this myself so would my place on the course be deferred for a year? Or would I need to re-apply for 2016/17? This could affect my decisions as think I only have until 2019 to complete the Open Degree.
Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Thanks all
SuperCat007
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The deadline hasn't passed for part time funding, you need to give Student Finance at least 6 weeks before your course start date. So technically the middle of August will be the deadline. The OU need your funding status confirmed by September 30th. The diploma may hinder your application, due to you applying for study which is below the level of what you already have, but you'll have to wait for Student Finance to confirm that.

Apply for the loan and click the option which allows Student Finance and the OU to alter your funding based on the amount of credits you're studying.
ARoberts2
Rep:
?
Thanks SuperCat007 - whether I can get funding or not, at least I've got more time than I thought to explore all the options. Cheers for the info
SuperCat007
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ARoberts2)
Thanks SuperCat007 - whether I can get funding or not, at least I've got more time than I thought to explore all the options. Cheers for the info
Do just double check enrollment dates though with the OU. I was registered on my modules in February and I have to have my funding in place for 30th September. It could be that you may have missed the registration for the modules.

Best to talk to the OU.
ARoberts2
Rep:
?
Okay, good call - thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (77)
63.64%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed