study in Germany: Liberal Arts and Science at University College Freiburg in Germany

Watch
la97l
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Have anyone heard of any thing about the Liberal Arts and Science program at University College Freiburg in Germany (a Eng program, first LAS program in Germany)? any opinion on that? personal / friends' experiences?

Just found it out and know nothing about it apart from information from its website. Please share if anyone knows anything about studying in Germany / University of Freiburg / University College Freiburg or the LAS program.

Thank you very much!
beascottswanson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by la97l)
Have anyone heard of any thing about the Liberal Arts and Science program at University College Freiburg in Germany (a Eng program, first LAS program in Germany)? any opinion on that? personal / friends' experiences?

Just found it out and know nothing about it apart from information from its website. Please share if anyone knows anything about studying in Germany / University of Freiburg / University College Freiburg or the LAS program.

Thank you very much!
hi there, i live in germany and i went to the LAS open day at freiburg. what i can tell you is:
you major in either humanities (very art history-ish), social sciences (politics, law, sociology), earth and environmental sciences (very research-based) or natural sciences (focus on the human body) and you have a strong, largely philosophical core that everyone must take (courses in epistemology etc). the course is four years long because you have to learn a foreign language and because you get an introduction to the majors before you choose. the university college is very small and community-like. something to keep in mind is that this is a very new course (there aren't any graduates yet!) so expect to be part of a process. that being said, many dutch cities have successfully modeled this type of university experience and freiburg seem to know what they're doing.
freiburg is more a town than a city and very easy to get around in on a bike for example. the university college is in a medieval building and the rest of the university has some beautiful old and some not so beautiful, more recent buildings. it's very much a student city because the university spans the whole city centre (like Edinburgh for example). there is lots of nice food and it feels much more like somewhere southern, northern italy perhaps, than germany. it is actually germany's sunniest city and gets quite hot in the summer. something to watch out for are the little brooks running along the sides of everything street (a cooling mechanism for the hotter months). it seems relatively, not insanely, international; we got to meet many german students but also students from pakistan and italy.

i hope this helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (83)
26.27%
England (108)
34.18%
Belgium (27)
8.54%
Germany (37)
11.71%
Spain (5)
1.58%