The Student Room Group

Edexcel History - 1st June 2015 - Medicine Through Time - History B

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone think that there was an odd new lay-out was it just me or were all the past papers only six questions long?
Original post by Pilate VII
I thought it went pretty well up until the last question (I did Q] 6); I made an Intro, and two evaluative points as to why using the scientific method of finding the cause of the disease was the foundations of preventing the illness. My points were on Scientific Method which lead to subsequent discoveries, and the government acting on Public Health.

I then made another paragraph which argued why War might be seen as a the more important factor for preventing illness, but I slipped up by saying that discoveries such as "magic bullets" was sped up with war as a catalyst, but in truth War actually slowed down these developments, so I'm not sure If I'll lose credit for that.

And then I kinda run out of time and didn't finish my conclusion, which sucks :/

I'm probably routing for an A in that exam :smile: which is okay...you?

I had the same problem! Left too little time at the end, and couldn't think of what to write in under 10 minutes haha! I did question 6- and did an Intro, a paragraph on scientific methods including Pasteur and Koch, and did my second point was on vaccination but forgot to mention Jenner!!! And then my conclusion was the most brief sentence :/

Anyway, I've heard a lot of people had the same problem with time- but most were clever enough to remember to mention Jenner in vaccinations :/

I was hoping for an A*, now I don't think it will be any more than a B :smile:
Are the usual grade boundaries 39 for A and 43 for A*?
Reply 23
Original post by ninjadan
Did anyone think that there was an odd new lay-out was it just me or were all the past papers only six questions long?

They did change it for this year. There was one exam board supplied sample paper with the new format which you should have looked at. Also, my teacher made us some with the new format. It's not much different, it's just meant to be easier.
The Roman Public Health question was in the textbook and I did it! Never been so confident:biggrin:
Original post by anisha1999
I had the same problem! Left too little time at the end, and couldn't think of what to write in under 10 minutes haha! I did question 6- and did an Intro, a paragraph on scientific methods including Pasteur and Koch, and did my second point was on vaccination but forgot to mention Jenner!!! And then my conclusion was the most brief sentence :/

Anyway, I've heard a lot of people had the same problem with time- but most were clever enough to remember to mention Jenner in vaccinations :/

Luckily I mentioned Jenner xD I'm sure you'll do well :wink:
Original post by joddcfc
Are the usual grade boundaries 39 for A and 43 for A*?

^^^ Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Anyone?
I think you should be fine because it said since 1850's right? That's why I didn't talk about Jenner
Original post by asha.o
The Roman Public Health question was in the textbook and I did it! Never been so confident:biggrin:

What did you put down?!
Original post by max_grosvenor99
it asked for after 1850, Jenner was 1796

Yes but he pioneered vaccination, which later led to the smallpox disease being declared wiped out after 1850...
Original post by SenpaiBlazeit
What did you put down?!

Public baths, sewers, use of public toilets and aqueducts - how they all improved public health!
:nyan:
1) changes in equipment used - as more scientific understanding - can now actually work on treating them rather than them just "lying there"
- better use of cleanliness and sterile conditions to improve health
- Florence Nightingale was a big factor in showing love + warmth for patients - shown by flowers at the front of the image.
2) I talked about CAG? for Romans
c - communication amongst Romans so ideas can be spread about malaria + bad smells - and to live/build away from them
a - army so hospitals were set up + they would protect infrastructure
g - strong centralised gov to fund infrastructure e.g. aqueducts - bring water in etc, Roman baths - exercise + self cleansing. ( Not sure if i did this question right?!?)
3) accurate diagrams + period was a period of growth + advancements
not reliable - he couldn't see capillaries, eccentric and cant see the heart ( only arms) doesn't give full representation of what he did + it was written by him - so would not be reliable.
4) infectious diseases spread because of
-government attitude
-lack of understanding
-church holding back medical knowledge + in power
6) introduction, 1p - Pasteur + Koch
2p - pasteur + charles chamberland vaccines + chadwick
3p - liberal reforms , NHS campaings - can now start to prevent!
Do you think these answers look enough to get an A - thats all I want?
Where there two parts to question 6 as I can't remember? What was part a if there were?:confused:
DO you know what the question 5 was?:confused:
do you recall what question 5 was?
Original post by LordStark
I didn't mind the paper, actually. I thought the sources questions were a bit tricky, but I can usually fudge a decent response. The question on the Romans was an absolute dream.<br>
<br>
I picked the question on the causes of widespread illness between 1350 and 1850. I focussed on both cholera and the Plague, but I fleshed out historical context, etc, etc. I blamed it on bad public health due to governme
Original post by anisha1999

Hey can u remember if there were two parts to question 6 and if so what was the question for part a?
Original post by Pilate VII
Yes but he pioneered vaccination, which later led to the smallpox disease being declared wiped out after 1850...

Can u remember if there were two parts to question 6 and if so what was the question for part a?
Original post by justbekawbu
Hey can u remember if there were two parts to question 6 and if so what was the question for part a?

Hey, from what I can remember, it was just one 16 mark question, so no part B (but don't quote me on that because I cant properly remember :P)
I've got this exam tommorow, could anyone tell me what topics the questions are on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending