The Student Room Group

A level online or Retake?

I'm currently 17 years old and finished my AS exams so far and waiting to continue in A2, but I've realised that the courses I've been given are not the ones I want, so last during GCSE's I wanted to Psychology,Biology,Chemistry and mathatics, my teachers accepted my sixth form choices due to the fact I had all B's in the mock exams and was on track but on results day I missed the entry grades by 1 whole grade., for example I had a B in maths and a C,C,B for physics,chemistry and biology.

I've finished my AS exam in courses which I most likely will acheive A's but I feel as if they are useless such psychology,economics and media studies.Now I'm considering paying for online A level courses to allow me to take the subjects I wanted and do it at a faster pace due to the fact I already started studing mathamtics and biology due to my passion for them. The alternative is either stick with my useless subjects that I don't enjoy or retaking gcse's and taking the a-level's which would take 3 years of my life instead of online course which would 1/2 years. Help me guys!
Reply 1
Original post by PhantomGhost97
I'm currently 17 years old and finished my AS exams so far and waiting to continue in A2, but I've realised that the courses I've been given are not the ones I want, so last during GCSE's I wanted to Psychology,Biology,Chemistry and mathatics, my teachers accepted my sixth form choices due to the fact I had all B's in the mock exams and was on track but on results day I missed the entry grades by 1 whole grade., for example I had a B in maths and a C,C,B for physics,chemistry and biology.

I've finished my AS exam in courses which I most likely will acheive A's but I feel as if they are useless such psychology,economics and media studies.Now I'm considering paying for online A level courses to allow me to take the subjects I wanted and do it at a faster pace due to the fact I already started studing mathamtics and biology due to my passion for them. The alternative is either stick with my useless subjects that I don't enjoy or retaking gcse's and taking the a-level's which would take 3 years of my life instead of online course which would 1/2 years. Help me guys!

Have you tried talking to your college about swapping 3 of your subjects to those ASs and then continue the useful one to A2. If they speak to your teachers and your teacher say you have performed well all year they may let you. :smile: It'd mean you do 3 years at college rather than 2 but you'd end up with the A-levels you want and they'd be fully taught to you.
Original post by 8472
Have you tried talking to your college about swapping 3 of your subjects to those ASs and then continue the useful one to A2. If they speak to your teachers and your teacher say you have performed well all year they may let you. :smile: It'd mean you do 3 years at college rather than 2 but you'd end up with the A-levels you want and they'd be fully taught to you.

I doubt they would accept that due to the fact that I would've done good in my current courses and advice me to continue and also what I've found from the online courses is that it will help complete an AS and A2 all in a whole year. My target is to complete these courses asap instead of wasting that could be used.
Reply 3
Original post by PhantomGhost97
I doubt they would accept that due to the fact that I would've done good in my current courses and advice me to continue and also what I've found from the online courses is that it will help complete an AS and A2 all in a whole year. My target is to complete these courses asap instead of wasting that could be used.

No harm in asking. :wink:
I'll ask but trust me they'll look at my grade during gcse and think why should we let him, they're not open minded, they'll base their decision on the past instead of the future I know the teachers fairly well.

Quick Reply