If you're a male under 5 foot 10/11, life is not worth living. Discuss. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Alex347_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
-Several studies have shown that women view men's height as the most important physical discriminator, with different optimal height preferences identified. None are below 5 foot 10 or 11, I imagine.

- Most CEO's, politicians, U.S. presidential candidates, hollywood actors, military generals, and anything of note are either 6 foot or above, or just short of the 6 foot mark by a few inches.

-I could say more, but I want a discussion, rather than me just asserting my opinion.
Joshale
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Say that to Gaz Beadle whos slept with 600+ women, and is 5"9
peanutbuttercup
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I went through a phase of wanting a guy who was at least 6 foot, but then I realised that's pretty ridiculous. My ex was 6 foot so I guess since him I've set my standards high (ha). But now to me it doesn't matter. I've since dated someone who was 5 ft 8 and really liked him, and I am now seeing someone who is 5 ft 6- I'm 5 ft 3 so it's no big issue and overall he is amazing so I'm not going to rule him out just because he is a few inches short of 'the ideal height'.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sepp Blatter
Serpentine111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're rich you'll have plenty of girls flocking to you regardless of height and appearance. (fact)

Unless you want to become a model (potentially actor as well) then I doubt height plays much into job roles. I doubt someone would not employ a person well suited for a job because they are 5 ft 8.

So no. As someone who is 5 ft 8 himself, I don't feel as if I've been given the short straw in life at all. There are times I've wished I was a bit taller just for aesthetics but I don't think my life would be much different if I was taller.
laurenolivia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally, as a Female I don't see height as something I would class as the most important physical factor. But I do believe from talking to friends, no female wants to be taller than their boyfriend, it looks 'weird'. However, when you do like someone those sorts of things become less important.
The thing about CEOs etc is something I do find really interesting though, but it's probably explained by height often being perceived as authoritative and threatening.
aaronlowe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Meh those studies are bull.

I am between 5'10" and 5'11" (seems to depend who measures me) and since most women I like are slightly shorter it's never been a problem. The only problem is I don't have enough time to screw them all

Even though I am relatively short I find that beds are still too small and duvets only JUST cover my feet. 1 inch taller and I'd have to sleep with cold feet.

Also, the doubledecker buses where I live have low ceilings on the top floor. If I was just 1 inch taller I'd keep banging my head. Therefore I consider myself to be the perfect height and I feel sorry for people who are taller.

Thanks God I don't have a bath lol. Who wants to wash with their knees up around their ears?
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If that's the case, most of my friends are ****ed. I'm the only one of the ten or so of us that is 6"+...

I'd imagine it's more of a self-confidence thing - if you're taller than everyone else, then you ain't gonna be intimidated by them :P
TARS
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aaronlowe)
Meh those studies are bull.

I am between 5'10" and 5'11" (seems to depend who measures me) and since most women I like are slightly shorter it's never been a problem. The only problem is I don't have enough time to screw them all

Even though I am relatively short I find that beds are still too small and duvets only JUST cover my feet. 1 inch taller and I'd have to sleep with cold feet.

Also, the doubledecker buses where I live have low ceilings on the top floor. If I was just 1 inch taller I'd keep banging my head. Therefore I consider myself to be the perfect height and I feel sorry for people who are taller.

Thanks God I don't have a bath lol. Who wants to wash with their knees up around their ears?
Beta af
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Joshale)
Say that to Gaz Beadle whos slept with 600+ women, and is 5"9
'Several studies have shown that women view men's height as the most important physical discriminator'
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Below 5 feet 10 and life isn't worth living, really haha!!! I never had any problems
Lisagurlxx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

not srs
lucy_crave
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmmm, a quick google tells me that the average male in Britain is 5ft 9ins – so the Ops original post seems to questions whether half of the male population are too short to consider life is worth living. As for the point about famous people being 6ft or taller – I’ve met a few celebrities in my time, ones who most would consider attractive, and I’m always surprised at how much shorter they are than I thought they were.l
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by laurenolivia)
Personally, as a Female I don't see height as something I would class as the most important physical factor. But I do believe from talking to friends, no female wants to be taller than their boyfriend, it looks 'weird'. However, when you do like someone those sorts of things become less important.
The thing about CEOs etc is something I do find really interesting though, but it's probably explained by height often being perceived as authoritative and threatening.
Men are very heirarchical and competitive creatures. Tallness means 'defer' to most shorter men. I'm amazed to see how this works sometimes socially - tall man arrives at bar/party/coffee table - instantly all the shorter men go into some sort of humble mode. :eek: Some short men however overcompensate and become very bossy. See: Complex, Napolean. :teehee:
aaronlowe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lisagurlxx)
Also there is a heightened risk of cancer the taller you are (pun intended )
aaronlowe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TARS)
Beta af
I don't even know what that means lol

Ignorance is bliss
Ki Yung Na
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Money and sex isn't everything to everyone..
aaronlowe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lucy_crave)
Hmmm, a quick google tells me that the average male in Britain is 5ft 9ins – so the Ops original post seems to questions whether half of the male population are too short to consider life is worth living. As for the point about famous people being 6ft or taller – I’ve met a few celebrities in my time, ones who most would consider attractive, and I’m always surprised at how much shorter they are than I thought they were.l
Yeah, its exaggerated by male peacocking
henchboy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
5'7 manlet masterace checking in
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lucy_crave)
Hmmm, a quick google tells me that the average male in Britain is 5ft 9ins – so the Ops original post seems to questions whether half of the male population are too short to consider life is worth living.
(i) I take it you're not doing Statistics.
(ii) What's anyway true is that these guys don't want to be as tall as the "average male". They want to be as tall as the average man under, say, 40.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.55%
Excited (156)
9.15%
Worried (306)
17.95%
Terrified (379)
22.23%
Meh (166)
9.74%
Confused (37)
2.17%