The Student Room Group

Igcse english language aqa

My boyfriend is retaking his gcse english and I'm trying to help him pass but there doesn't seem to be anything online for IGCSE AQA english language :frown: I'm so confused and I have my own (different) english language exam tomorrow !! If anyone knows anything at all or at least shares the pain of doing the bloody aqa igcse please reply hahah
READING SECTION
- When you open the paper, there's a line or two in italics above the text. READ IT. Then, highlight it and go to the questions
- Choose the keywords from each questions (e.g.: methods, present, poverty, etc.)
- Write these key words in order in the top left hand corner above the text- Read the text really slowly and as you go along, highlight or underline bits that show what the question is asking you to look for
- If one of the questions is a 'how' question, it means look for the methods that the writer uses, such as similes, metaphors, contrast and so on. You can even say things like (example) 'the writer uses the compound adjective "green-eyed" to show' and so on
- Try not to be too obvious in your answers, read in between the lines and try to understand alternative meanings to the text.
- Stick to 2 minutes per mark - there are usually no less than 4 marks per question, and no more than 10, make sure you keep an eye on your timings. I would recommend 10 minutes reading the text and about an hour answering the questions.

WRITING SECTION
Read the options that you have for the questions (I would always recommend Discuss or Describe, I haven't been taught how to answer a story question)

FOR Discuss:
- Choose whether you are going to argue FOR or AGAINST the given topic, or if you want to be balanced and explore both.
- For your intro, use a rhetorical device to ask the reader about the question (EG: What is adventure?) Either answer this question with whichever side you go on (agree/disagree), or leave it unanswered to go through in your piece if you are balanced
- Think up of 4 points that support whichever direction you will go in
- Add connectives or discourse markers on your plan to decide how you will begin your paragraphs (EG: Initially, Additionally, etc.)
- In your conclusion, just sum up what you have said using and answering rhetorical questions, and give your opinion of what side you are now on

FOR Describe:
It's a lot harder to explain how to structure this, but I would recommend to put an image of what you are describing into your head. Then pick small details to focus on - for example, a friend of mine wrote about a person, first focusing on their hands, then their face, then their hair, then the surroundings. Stick to something like that, it's really effective.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
thank you so so much!! it help loads!! :tongue:
Original post by witte25
thank you so so much!! it help loads!! :tongue:

No worries dude, what did you write for the questions? (if you remember)
Reply 4
Original post by mianayisni

i don't sorry!! It wasn't my exam anyway!
Original post by mianayisni

Did You do foundation i did what did you write I remember

Quick Reply

Latest