The Student Room Group

As Level Physics Unit 2 Edexcel

On the photoelectic effect,,,,..If there were 2 light sources with the same intenstiy but different frequecies the stoppign voltage would be hight for the higher fre liency lig hht-MOre energy would be need to stop the highter energy photons.Could you help me draw that graph
Photoelectric effect If there are 2 light sources with the same intensity but different frequencies would the light source with a higher frequency would the stopping voltage be higher? Yes, the stopping voltage would be higher. The higher frequency means that the energy of the photon is higher as the energy of a photon is equal to the frequency of the light source multiplied by Planck's constant (which as the name suggests remains constant). The kinetic energy of the electron release is then equal to the photon energy minus the work function of the metal (given that the photon energy is larger or equal to the work function of the metal). The kinetic energy of a electron is equal to the charge of an electron multiplied by the voltage across it (as energy is equal to voltage multiplied by charge), so the voltage must be increased to make the energy the same as that of the kinetic energy of the electron (as the charge of an electron remains constant). Hope this helps! : )
For some reasons my line breaks aren't working on TSR every time I post something it removes the spacing. : (

Quick Reply

Latest