The Student Room Group

The "I can't get a summer job" thread

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a summer job?

I apply to loads of adverts, give my CVs into shops but as I've never had a job, I don't have any experience. My lack of experience is an obstacle. I can't get any experience because I don't have a job.

Scroll to see replies

Keep on trying.
(and maybe apply for something that's relevant to your area of study)
Reply 2
The classic conundrum of jobs.

It is a dark path you have chosen to walk my friend. A path however ONLY you can walk.
The job will reveal itself to you when you are ready.

Until then you will be doomed to wander aimlessly. Lost. Forgotten.

Yeah I can't keep this up.
Im in the same position as you at the moment, looking for a summer job. As far as I can tell you just have to apply like mad to a gazillion places and one of them is likely to take you on board. Apply man, apply like hell. Thats all there is to it. Obviously it does help if you've done any work EXPERIENCE before hand.
Original post by PillsIV
The classic conundrum of jobs.

It is a dark path you have chosen to walk my friend. A path however ONLY you can walk.
The job will reveal itself to you when you are ready.

Until then you will be doomed to wander aimlessly. Lost. Forgotten.

Yeah I can't keep this up.
Im in the same position as you at the moment, looking for a summer job. As far as I can tell you just have to apply like mad to a gazillion places and one of them is likely to take you on board. Apply man, apply like hell. Thats all there is to it. Obviously it does help if you've done any work EXPERIENCE before hand.

Haha the classic conundrum that I have no idea how to get out of!
allow getting a summer job. this year i havent touched my xbox all year. i am planning on going straight to town after my last exam and picking up call of duty advanced warfare and pokemon omega ruby and going to spend all summer doing that. will also try and get some work expereince, but i already have some money saved up so might just enjoy the summer rather than work it away.
Original post by neal95
allow getting a summer job. this year i havent touched my xbox all year. i am planning on going straight to town after my last exam and picking up call of duty advanced warfare and pokemon omega ruby and going to spend all summer doing that. will also try and get some work expereince, but i already have some money saved up so might just enjoy the summer rather than work it away.

Haha nice plan neal. My parents won't let me do that though :/
Firstly, you left it way too late to start applying, places start advertising summer jobs as early March.

I got my first job with no work experience but the two week experience you do as part of school, its just about marketing yourself really.
Original post by Confrontation

I apply to loads of adverts, give my CVs into shops but as I've never had a job, I don't have any experience. My lack of experience is an obstacle. I can't get any experience because I don't have a job.

Places like mcdonalds take on a lot of students. You can also work there in term time and do more hours in the holidays.
In terms of other jobs, keep on trying. indeed.com is worth a try.
yeah someone will take you mate i remmeber mine i had to apply to a few places and you might get a few knock backs but when you get that call theres nothing like it! also your first paycheque is such a good feeling haha. check multiple times per day on indeed and also on company websites as they usually update late at night or early
I do parttime work at WHSmith, they take on loads of students! Applications are all online :smile:

how old are you?
next, clarks, primark are just a few that don't look at work experience and quite frankly your skills aren't a huge deal, they'll train you, they just want flexibility during summer
it's never too late to start applying
I've tried so hard to find a summer job and have had no success :frown: I can't find any shops that do it! I don't know what to do. I've been looking since March and it hasn't happened.
Does anyone know shops who would do work experience instead so then at least I could get some experience for next summer.
I'm looking for a summer job too. I've gone out into town and given my CV to a few places (mostly shops like WH Smith and Superdrug), but I haven't heard anything back yet. I did do this within the past week, so I'm not expecting to hear back from any of the places right away, but it is still a bit nerve-racking just waiting to find out if you're going to be called back for an interview or not. Loads of places wanted me to apply online as well, but there don't seem to be any part-time jobs in my area. So yeah, it's not looking too promising at the moment. I'm going to hand in an application to Starbucks sometime next week, because I know that they give jobs to under 18s, so here's hoping.

If I don't end up getting a job this year, I'll just try and get some volunteer work at a charity shop. Loads of the places I've been to and loads of the application forms that I have filled out have asked about previous experience with customer service/retail, which I just don't have, so if I volunteered at a local charity shop that would give me something to put on my CV, and it will hopefully make it easier to find a job when I go to uni. So yeah, if you don't end up getting a job this summer, some volunteer work might be a good idea. It would definitely make it easier to get a job later, I think.
Original post by Converse&Roses
I'm looking for a summer job too. I've gone out into town and given my CV to a few places (mostly shops like WH Smith and Superdrug), but I haven't heard anything back yet. I did do this within the past week, so I'm not expecting to hear back from any of the places right away, but it is still a bit nerve-racking just waiting to find out if you're going to be called back for an interview or not. Loads of places wanted me to apply online as well, but there don't seem to be any part-time jobs in my area. So yeah, it's not looking too promising at the moment. I'm going to hand in an application to Starbucks sometime next week, because I know that they give jobs to under 18s, so here's hoping.

If I don't end up getting a job this year, I'll just try and get some volunteer work at a charity shop. Loads of the places I've been to and loads of the application forms that I have filled out have asked about previous experience with customer service/retail, which I just don't have, so if I volunteered at a local charity shop that would give me something to put on my CV, and it will hopefully make it easier to find a job when I go to uni. So yeah, if you don't end up getting a job this summer, some volunteer work might be a good idea. It would definitely make it easier to get a job later, I think.

WHSmith now only accept online applications so you may have to try there! They said to me that it takes 2 weeks to hear back but it took them about a month, but all is good now haha
Best of luck!
this stupid job experience experience job is bull****.

VOLUNTEER FIRST. That's how you get experience THEN you get a job. I've never had to complain about a lack of experience because my volunteering experience was good enough
I also want a summer job
I will need to write my CV first and i dont know how to do it any tips?
I will apply to starbucks, costa, whsmiths
Need sugestions for other places to apply
It was a frustrating experience for me too. So much so I tried to me self-employed. That didn't work. So I made a short film about finding it hard to get a job and being self-employed as a writer/director:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4yALwIkKbY

Hi had the same problem, but my friend sign me up for NCS team leader role few years back and i loved it. We did it through Personal Best Education, its like free summer holidays, you did bit of work and get paid for it. highly recommend.
Reply 19
Temp agencies. This is how I've found mine! Apply to one of them, explain your situation and they will usually bend over backwards to get you work. Would recommend Pertemps as a starter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending