emily32311
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Got AS English Language exam tomorrow and lets just say not feeling 100%! So if anyone knows of any good tips/advice or tactics then please share, would be much appreciated!!

Section A- Text Varieties
Section B- Power, Gender and Technology

Thinking about doing Language and Power for Section B...

Any other good theorists apart from Lakoff, Fairclough, Grice's Maxims and Sinclair + Coulthard...?

Any other better ways to group texts other than the simple; purpose, audience, mode and formality?

Thank-you!
Louis Bohm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm no expert but my teachers hammered into me to try to steer clear of using 'mode' as a grouping as its classed as a weak one. As for the main ones I like to use Graphology (but then so does half the country), Audience, Purpose and Lexis or semantic fields.

Hope this helps !! And good luck !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
emily32311
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Louis Bohm)
I'm no expert but my teachers hammered into me to try to steer clear of using 'mode' as a grouping as its classed as a weak one. As for the main ones I like to use Graphology (but then so does half the country), Audience, Purpose and Lexis or semantic fields.

Hope this helps !! And good luck !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great thank-you! I like to use Graphology too but likewise my teacher kept saying that was a week one too -.- I've heard that using a subtle grouping such as humour can be good..
Have you chosen which question to do for Section B or are you deciding when you see the texts?

Good Luck!
Louis Bohm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emily32311)
Great thank-you! I like to use Graphology too but likewise my teacher kept saying that was a week one too -.- I've heard that using a subtle grouping such as humour can be good..
Have you chosen which question to do for Section B or are you deciding when you see the texts?

Good Luck!
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply haha, I had already decided to do the language and power question previous to taking the exam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (183)
23.86%
Pop (187)
24.38%
Jazz (30)
3.91%
Classical (46)
6%
Hip-Hop (144)
18.77%
Electronic (50)
6.52%
Indie (127)
16.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise