Why is the UK justice system so soppy and stacked against the victims of crime?

Watch
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just another example posted below, I could have picked out any I googled over a given period.
I think it has something to do with the liberal(social and economic) orthodoxy so utterly convinced of it's own rightness. I am pretty much sick of innocent people suffering, other people doing vile and/or totally stupid things and getting away with this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...est-hears.html

Read the case fully. She got 16 weeks. 16 WEEKS!

When people get robbed by threatening drug takers who tyrannise their neighbourhood, better make sure anyone who knocks them out and waits for the police is charged with attmpted murder, or GBH or some ****, and goes to jail for ages, whilst said violent drug offender, is 'understood' for being from a single parent home, or in the grip of addiction. No responsibility for perpetrators, and yet those who take responsibility to defend themselves punished every time.
Any real conservatism, as opposed to just the purported kind now which only believes in one remotely 'rightwing' thing, which is blocking any attempts to address wealth inequality, would not allow this crap under it's watch. But since there are no values left in politics, other than serving the rich, and otherwise being a cultural liberal, this is allowed.
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The problem is the punishments, not the justice system. This has been happening with ever increase government manipulation in the Courts and sentencing guidelines. Which cause the prisons to be full and lighter sentences handed down for less glamour crimes.
an_atheist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by william walker)
The problem is the punishments, not the justice system. This has been happening with ever increase government manipulation in the Courts and sentencing guidelines. Which cause the prisons to be full and lighter sentences handed down for less glamour crimes.
Bring back capital punishment fo the serious crimes, and make prison Spartan in nature. If we got all prisons to generate electricity using the Victorian crank then we might actually both alleviate some energy problems and make prison seem crap, since who wants to spend 8 hours turning a handle, that takes a couple of seconds to turn for a fit man? Does this sound like a proper punishment?
BrightBlueLight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
liberalism is to blame
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's fairly straightforward: the Government doesn't want to imprison more people, and yet more people probably deserve imprisonment.

Equally there's the question of recidivism. If someone's got a job, they go to jail and lose it. Then they're likely to come out, be offered minimal support (again, a funding issue) and if anything be worse than before.

You basically have two choices with criminals: imprison them or rehabilitate them. Effective rehabilitation is even more expensive than imprisonment, so what are you going to end up doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads