The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Biology B4 B5 B6

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uyirpeariel
Unrelated to Science, but I know last year(?) AQA put something in the Spanish listening exam which was no where on the specification and it was a main detail as well, so it cost people marks. They're probably not allowed, but I guess they do it anyway. I think they want candidates to apply knowledge with logic to answer those types of questions. It's annoying tho lol, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the question.

its really annoying yeah, especially since i revised everything and this had definitely not come up!! it annoyed me loads because it was the only set of questions in the exam i didnt get, other than that it was an amazing exam
Reply 181
Original post by hanbuckley19
I already know i probably got this question wrong and that it was about diffusion but anything to do with blood is no where to be seen in the specification? are they really allowed to ask questions about this when its not in the spec?

I know. I thought so when I read the question but I think you had to figure out that the blood diffused and that's what linked it to B4 :/ most of the questions in this exam you had to figure out what the topic of the question was which made it really difficult, like loads of people in my year wrote about DNA for that question because they had no Idea what it was asking
Original post by kjdm4
What percentage change did everyone get for the potato question?? Everyone I've asked got different answers haha I got 3.36, can't remember how

i got 13.63 by doing 2.2/2.5 x100 i believe its correct because i tested the same formula (?) with the other measurements that already had answers to see if i got the correct answer, i think i shouldve rounded it to 13.64 though
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 183
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3383215&p=56635635

excuse my advertising; but the c456 thread is up^^
Original post by marcus2020
i got like 0.03 and - 0.9 or something

how were you even meant to do that question??:confused:
Reply 185
Original post by Aishaali1213
What was the answer to the b5 6 marker? Was it about protein synthesis and gene switching?

I think so, I wrote about proteins only being produced if a cell needs the, to function and about genes being switched on, then I explianed how proteins were made with mRNA etc
The answer was 0.3 to 0.4. Think about it, when the solution and cells are the same concentration no osmosis occurs and basically the cell stays the same mass. So to work out the concentration of cells you have to do the concentration of solution and the mass change or take it away depending on whether it increased or decreased. This mass change shows how much water moved in or out and therefore the concentration of cells.
Guys, Hey~!

For the dialysis question about keeping the concentration low, who wrote about osmosis? I did#! Some people spoke about diffusion, why~?
Original post by germanshepherd_
Guys, Hey~!

For the dialysis question about keeping the concentration low, who wrote about osmosis? I did#! Some people spoke about diffusion, why~?

I wrote about osmosis as well. I don't see how people are getting diffusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Littleonezz
I wrote about osmosis as well. I don't see how people are getting diffusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was no water involved, osmosis is only for water so it's just diffusion in general (:
If you actually look 'dialysis' up there's a page on bbc bitesize about it , where it says that urea moves across the partially permeable membrane, from the blood to the dialysis fluid, by diffusion

Posted from TSR Mobile
what did you guys get for the plant cutting one? the geraniums?
Original post by askhelpsuccess
what did you guys get for the plant cutting one? the geraniums?

I just said that garderners use cuttings in order to get a better plant in general, that they take the cuttings from a plant with desirable features, and it also is healthy. I also mentioned about root powder which is a hormone to help speed up the growth of plant, so it's also quicker than planting seeds and can result to better and healthy plants, but I'm not sure?
Original post by beth000
If you actually look 'dialysis' up there's a page on bbc bitesize about it , where it says that urea moves across the partially permeable membrane, from the blood to the dialysis fluid, by diffusion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yeah you're right.. dang oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 10studentlife
I just said that garderners use cuttings in order to get a better plant in general, that they take the cuttings from a plant with desirable features, and it also is healthy. I also mentioned about root powder which is a hormone to help speed up the growth of plant, so it's also quicker than planting seeds and can result to better and healthy plants, but I'm not sure?

I said something along those lines too. I felt like what I wrote was little (I always do) and so I may have just chatted on about how they clone and look exactly like the other plant. I'm 100% sure that was wrong
What did people put for the 6 marker about algae and coral? I got really confused and I didn't know whether the algae gives the carbon dioxide to the coral or vice versa, or what gave oxygen or glucose...
I said something along those lines too. I felt like what I wrote was little (I always do) and so I may have just chatted on about how they clone and look exactly like the other plant. I'm 100% sure that was wrong

It was only 3 marks so you would have most defiantly got 1/2 marks, I wouldn't worry!!
Original post by 10studentlife
It was only 3 marks so you would have most defiantly got 1/2 marks, I wouldn't worry!!

Yeah! :smile: thanks though, it's good to know that I did end up bagging a mark or to anyway! better than nothing :biggrin: Hope the rest of the exam went well for you!

I thought it asked how it was still able to grow??? Omg have I misread the question
Original post by iamlucy
I thought it asked how it was still able to grow??? Omg have I misread the question

From what I read, it asked why they used cuttings instead of seeds.

Quick Reply

Latest