The Student Room Group

How do I revise for Chemistry ?

Hi, first time posting here, probably wont be the last. So I am not very good when it comes to revising science, I am alright with Biology but it is just Chemistry and Physics ( not related, unless you wanna help me with this one too ) I just dont know how to, for other subjects it is easier but for these two, nope. Making mindmaps doesnt really help me so I dont know what else I can do. Any help ?
For me, the best thing to do is past papers- after doing a few you can easily pick up on commonly asked questions, and specific points on the mark scheme that you have to put to get the mark (eg in gcse biology aqa, you have to say that FSH causes egg maturation, anything else and you wont get the mark.)

Also, I have heard of some techniques such as 'teach your teddy' that sound quite interesting- you explan the topic to your cuddly toy (or similar item) as if you were teaching it to them.

You could also try making up little setences, which is something that really helps me- you can also find some online e.g for stimuli and responses, I use
Sally (stimulus)
Runs. (receptor)
Sally (sensory neurone)
Runs (relay neurone-via CNS)
Miles (motor neurone)
Every (effector)
Rainy day (response)

hope this helps. What level and exam board are you doing?:smile:
Im doing mock exams for AQA GCSE C2,P2 and B2. B2 is easy and the other two are ughh.
Sorry, I'm only in year 10 doing AQA P1, C1 and B1 in a few days :eek:, so I can't really help you on specific
topics

Have you tried buying revision guides such as CGP? The jokes may be corny, but they do explain the topics fairly well.
You could try making little revision cards, summarising each topic in as few key sentences annd facts as you can- you could also identify where your weakest areas are, and then focus in detail on them.

Don't panic!! It's only a mock, so just view this as a way of learning where your weaknesses and strengths are, and to get more experience on the type of questions and wording they will use.

Hope this helps?
Im also in Year 10 :wink: I have all 3 of the revision guides but I dont exactly know how to use them well. Just reading doesnt work for me and also writing doesnt work for me when it comes to science, it works very well in other subjects.
Im not really panicking, I just want to get used to revising effectively in preparation for real exams later on, and a question, how do I do exam papers? Im currently doing a Chemistry one but since I hardly know any answers to any of the questions I just look at the mark scheme and try to understand it but I dont think im doing it right.
1) I learn the content in as much detail as possible using text book and work sheets. Produce LOTS of notes.
2) Condense knowledge using revision guide as exam season is close. Still alot of notes.
3) highlight specification points I'm mixed about.
4) revisit either text book or revision guide depending on how little I know to address these points.
5) attempt past papers and mark. See what words are underlined or in bold in mark scheme and look out for repeated long answer questions. This is to improve exam technique.
6) Address any serious IPs either using the revision guide or mark scheme.
7) read examiner report.
8) revisit the spec and look for the finest points that barely come up in past papers and do practise questions on these things whilst doing more past papers.
9) set targets for each paper and use grade boundaries to find the most challenging papers.
This is my long term revision plan for all sciences and definitely requires dedication and genuine interest for subject. Personally I produce loads of notes and always do wider reading to learn and completely understand the content.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Do past papers trust me it really helped because obviously they cant keep making up new questions each year, so they may include the same question but in a different format but if you have done the past papers you know how to answer the questions
The thing is I dont really know how to do them without anyones help. I hardly knew any of the questions in the past paper of Chemistry I did and I just looked at the mark scheme for like every single question.
My method for revising sciences:
- Buy revision guides alongside textbook (they often contain extra information, and cut down into key points)
- Go through each chapter/topic and make sure you understand it completely (if not, go online, ask teachers, past paper questions ect.)
- Make concise flash cards on each chapter topic (these should be handheld so you can take them anywhere, and use colours to make key terms stand out)
- Go through until you have finished all your notes for your flash cards and go through them everyday to make sure it sticks in your head.I usually do this before I do a past paper, before I go to sleep ect.
- Allow at least one week before the exam for doing pure past papers everyday and marking them to see any mistakes you are making

Good luck with your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending