The Student Room Group

Dentistry in Europe - with no science A levels?

Hello, i'm in desperate need of advice. I really want to study Dentistry, however, my current GCSE grades and my choice of A Level/ Level 3 subjects clearly don't match or even come close to meeting any of the university requirements.
So, for my core GCSE subjects I achieved:
Maths - A
English - C
Physics - B
Chemistry - B
Biology - C
For sixth form I decided to study some awful subjects as I had no idea of what I wanted to become. Currently nearing the end of my 2nd year...
Applied Business - Predicted A
Level 3 Double BTEC ICT "Yes I Know, BTEC!" Predicted 2 Distinction Stars (Apparently equivalent to 2A* when picking it but now cant find anything useful to do with it.)
I've pretty much ruled out studying in the UK as competition levels are so high, it seems pretty much impossible (even though if I re-took everything - All Unis are fussy with retakes). I've contacted literally every single Uni which offers the Pre-Med in the UK and all have responded negatively, with no useful advice whatsoever, main reason being that they don't accept BTECs and also my GCSE Grades being well below par.
So I have expanded my region of study to within Europe. I've looked pretty much everywhere for the pre-med course. Hungary being the one that stood out most. However, this course requires me to pass an entrance exam, on the topics of the sciences and maths, which is possible I believe if I study towards it, however, I have no knowledge of the topics at all as I haven't studied them at A Level. Also, I will be looking for some sort of student finance, from my research I haven't found anything available to me even if I do apply to Hungary (Debrecen Uni.) I have also looked at a 6 month Pre-Med course in Berlin (Berlin Medical College) its a private college which offers an intense preparation for medical subjects, stating that it will guarantee candidates a place in Uni (stating a few direct admissions into some Unis - Riga and Plovdiv being two of them) with a 70% grade or money back. This looked really appealing to me until I contacted Riga, they responded that they only accept pre-med studies from Unis, not from private colleges and the pre-med also has to last a minimum of one year. Although I haven't got a response from Plovdiv yet, it has really put me off it, and now I don't really know what to do in September.
Another option which was suggested to me was to just study full Bio and Chem A Levels next year, which wasn't a bad shout, as a lot of eastern European countries only require BBB, meaning I will need to obtain BB in Bio and Chem in just one year. This may be too much too handle and it may be out of my depth to study both in one year. Also, with the curriculum changing for A Levels for As students in September, where all exams will have to be taken at the end of A2 may effect me as it may mean I won't be able to take an A level all in one year (Please correct me if i'm wrong.)

I've literally spent months re-searching on paths I could take towards Dentistry (even the bio-medical route which I don't fancy) I really don't want to take more than one year in getting into the Dentistry degree. Worst case scenario, yes, I will wait two years.

I would greatly appreciate any advice whatsoever on which path I could take into becoming a dentist, bearing in mind my current circumstance. The Pre-Med route appeals greatly to me and advice on that route or any other will be appreciated. What should I do in September ? I'm really uncertain about everything, especially that Pre-Med in Berlin as it is pretty expensive plus living costs will pile to it, and I don't want to take it on if I will be out of my depth.
Sorry for going on, any help will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks, A.

P.S: I will require Student Finance services wherever I go, other than the A Level route.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Im on the same boat, i haven't done A levels :frown:
Anyway, University of Debrecen will accept you without A levels but you have to give an entrance exam in chem/bio. If you fail, they will put you into foundation in medicine program which is a one year course. And after that you could get into dentistry in Debrecen. This is the only option ..
Just call them up or email them. Im sure they'll help u out :biggrin:
Reply 2
Oh and there is february intake for foundation aswell.
Reply 3
I hope you don't become my dentist.
Dentist without science, surely ya shoulda known...eh what
Original post by A47
Hello, i'm in desperate need of advice. I really want to study Dentistry, however, my current GCSE grades and my choice of A Level/ Level 3 subjects clearly don't match or even come close to meeting any of the university requirements.
So, for my core GCSE subjects I achieved:
Maths - A
English - C
Physics - B
Chemistry - B
Biology - C
For sixth form I decided to study some awful subjects as I had no idea of what I wanted to become. Currently nearing the end of my 2nd year...
Applied Business - Predicted A
Level 3 Double BTEC ICT "Yes I Know, BTEC!" Predicted 2 Distinction Stars (Apparently equivalent to 2A* when picking it but now cant find anything useful to do with it.)
I've pretty much ruled out studying in the UK as competition levels are so high, it seems pretty much impossible (even though if I re-took everything - All Unis are fussy with retakes). I've contacted literally every single Uni which offers the Pre-Med in the UK and all have responded negatively, with no useful advice whatsoever, main reason being that they don't accept BTECs and also my GCSE Grades being well below par.
So I have expanded my region of study to within Europe. I've looked pretty much everywhere for the pre-med course. Hungary being the one that stood out most. However, this course requires me to pass an entrance exam, on the topics of the sciences and maths, which is possible I believe if I study towards it, however, I have no knowledge of the topics at all as I haven't studied them at A Level. Also, I will be looking for some sort of student finance, from my research I haven't found anything available to me even if I do apply to Hungary (Debrecen Uni.) I have also looked at a 6 month Pre-Med course in Berlin (Berlin Medical College) its a private college which offers an intense preparation for medical subjects, stating that it will guarantee candidates a place in Uni (stating a few direct admissions into some Unis - Riga and Plovdiv being two of them) with a 70% grade or money back. This looked really appealing to me until I contacted Riga, they responded that they only accept pre-med studies from Unis, not from private colleges and the pre-med also has to last a minimum of one year. Although I haven't got a response from Plovdiv yet, it has really put me off it, and now I don't really know what to do in September.
Another option which was suggested to me was to just study full Bio and Chem A Levels next year, which wasn't a bad shout, as a lot of eastern European countries only require BBB, meaning I will need to obtain BB in Bio and Chem in just one year. This may be too much too handle and it may be out of my depth to study both in one year. Also, with the curriculum changing for A Levels for As students in September, where all exams will have to be taken at the end of A2 may effect me as it may mean I won't be able to take an A level all in one year (Please correct me if i'm wrong.)

I've literally spent months re-searching on paths I could take towards Dentistry (even the bio-medical route which I don't fancy) I really don't want to take more than one year in getting into the Dentistry degree. Worst case scenario, yes, I will wait two years.

I would greatly appreciate any advice whatsoever on which path I could take into becoming a dentist, bearing in mind my current circumstance. The Pre-Med route appeals greatly to me and advice on that route or any other will be appreciated. What should I do in September ? I'm really uncertain about everything, especially that Pre-Med in Berlin as it is pretty expensive plus living costs will pile to it, and I don't want to take it on if I will be out of my depth.
Sorry for going on, any help will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks, A.

P.S: I will require Student Finance services wherever I go, other than the A Level route.

Bit of a long shot to ask this since this thread was made 4 years ago...
but how did it go? did you continue with dentistry ? if so how, i’m in the same boat :frown:
Original post by jamjarz
Im on the same boat, i haven't done A levels :frown:
Anyway, University of Debrecen will accept you without A levels but you have to give an entrance exam in chem/bio. If you fail, they will put you into foundation in medicine program which is a one year course. And after that you could get into dentistry in Debrecen. This is the only option ..
Just call them up or email them. Im sure they'll help u out :biggrin:

Hi,

if you’re planning to study at Debrecen, you are definitely going to regret it, big time, the University teaching staff and the whole environment is extremely hostile to foreigners. They are aggressive, bigoted, rude and will treat you differently, compared to locals. Please try and link with students who have studied there and really find out the truth.
Original post by Monsoon55
Hi,

if you’re planning to study at Debrecen, you are definitely going to regret it, big time, the University teaching staff and the whole environment is extremely hostile to foreigners. They are aggressive, bigoted, rude and will treat you differently, compared to locals. Please try and link with students who have studied there and really find out the truth.

This was really helpful!
Were there any hijabis/muslims on the course?
Original post by zakiyyah786
This was really helpful!
Were there any hijabis/muslims on the course?

As I stated, without stating the obvious, this University is hostile and aggressive towards foreign students who look different.
Original post by Monsoon55
As I stated, without stating the obvious, this University is hostile and aggressive towards foreign students who look different.

(Original post by eMID)
Hi All
just a word of caution for any prospective student who are thinking of coming to Debrecen to study medicine or dentistry - DONT! or think very carefully before you decide on Debrecen for the following reasons...
1. the exams are based on luck most of the times especially the oral exams,as there have been numerous times where you have answered all the questions and if you answer just one and I mean one question wrong then you will have failed.
2. another occasion a student passed the exam but was failed because they had too many students who had passed before him. it depends on who the examiners are, and when the exam takes place.
3. at times the examiners will actively give big hints for the answer, and almost giving you the answer.

the exams are based on how lucky you are and if the examiner likes you.
Most of the lecturers are not approachable and there is "zero" pastoral care, although there are a few who care, but these are the exception and not the rule
The examiners/University will try to find any way that they can to trip you up and make you fail, as the whole University depends on their foreign students and the income that they bring.
There is a very good chance that a large number of students will end up repeating one year during the 6 years.

There is also zero student support by the University and students have to depend on their classmates and fellow students to get through the exams.
Compared to the American and British universities, the workload is relentless, and never ends, which when the students work exceptionally hard,can end up failing and leaving. This goes for most if not all the eastern european universities, so please think very carefully before you consider Debrecen, and if you have another choice than I would strongly recommend this.

Found this feedback from a student, everything is so true!

Latest