The Student Room Group

Which university?

I'm planning on studying Economics and Finance. Which should i go for: Queen Mary, Brunell, Kingston, Birkbeck, Kings or UCL?
I know ranking wise, Kings and UCL are much better.
But i've heard that Queen Mary is the best in Economics and Finance.
What do you recommend?
Reply 1
I'd go for QML, I really like the economics course there.

UCL is too 'mathsy' I'm not really sure it has much of a practical value. Economics is moving away from a subject based on maths towards one more like philosophy; it'd be wise to follow this tide.
Reply 2
I've talked to my cousin who goes there, and i've talked to many agents, and they all recommended Queen Mary. I plan on scheduling a visit soon, and if i like the Campus. I'm goin for it!
Thankyou for your help!x
Original post by Meriam62
I'm planning on studying Economics and Finance. Which should i go for: Queen Mary, Brunell, Kingston, Birkbeck, Kings or UCL?
What do you recommend?

-Look up the course content for each. It may be that one of them focuses on an area of economics you don't like, or doesn't have the range of modules you want.
-Brunel, Kingston and Birkbeck are not very highly ranked. Ranking isn't everything but it is important to employers.
-You can apply for more than one of them if you want
Reply 4
I have searched about them all tbh, and i liked UCL, and Queen Mary the most. So i'm torn between those two.

Original post by paradoxicalme
-Look up the course content for each. It may be that one of them focuses on an area of economics you don't like, or doesn't have the range of modules you want.
-Brunel, Kingston and Birkbeck are not very highly ranked. Ranking isn't everything but it is important to employers.
-You can apply for more than one of them if you want
I have searched about them all tbh, and i liked UCL, and Queen Mary the most. So i'm torn between those two.

Why not apply to both? And then decide depending on where you get in? :smile:
Reply 6
I applied and got accepted
Why not apply to both? And then decide depending on where you get in? :smile:
I applied and got accepted

Oh, so you're deciding which one to take? I thought the deadline for firming them was over by now. Have you visited them?
Reply 8
I applied for foundation that's why.
I'm visiting London next month hopefully and will visit both. But looking at the videos, and reading about them both, i really really like them both!
Oh, so you're deciding which one to take? I thought the deadline for firming them was over by now. Have you visited them?
I applied for foundation that's why.
I'm visiting London next month hopefully and will visit both. But looking at the videos, and reading about them both, i really really like them both!

Ah, I see, I had the same problem with picking my insurance. UCL is the higher ranked of the two but if you prefer Queen Mary then that doesn't matter, and you'll get a better idea of which uni you can see yourself going to when you visit them. I'd hold off on choosing until then. :smile:
What do you recommend?

UCL!But UCL'S foundation deadline was back in March!
Are you doing AS/A2 levels?
Reply 11

What do you want to do afterwards?

If you want to go into academia, UCL is definitely not where you want to be looking at. But if you want to go into finance/banking than UCL/LSE are safe bets.
Original post by cacra
What do you want to do afterwards?

If you want to go into academia, UCL is definitely not where you want to be looking at. But if you want to go into finance/banking than UCL/LSE are safe bets.

Umm... UCL trumps 'QMUL' in pretty much every aspect and it's a no brainer.

Why is UCL bad if you want to go into academia? It's pretty good actually. I doubt QMUL provides any world-leading research.
Reply 13
Original post by Mike_123
Umm... UCL trumps 'QMUL' in pretty much every aspect and it's a no brainer.

Why is UCL bad if you want to go into academia? It's pretty good actually. I doubt QMUL provides any world-leading research.

The economics course at UCL is basically an applied mathematics course. No self-respecting university is going to his a post-grad unable to grasp the basic philosophical arguments behind economic theory unless you stay at a place like UCL where the entire subject rests on mathematical models.

When you look at places like Harvard, Chicago, Cambridge; economic heavy-weights, they all demand a more balanced approach to economics. UCL does not offer this.
What do you recommend?

Go for UCL, by far the best on this list. If you don't like Maths, go for Kings. The rest lag behind by some margin.
Original post by cacra
The economics course at UCL is basically an applied mathematics course. No self-respecting university is going to his a post-grad unable to grasp the basic philosophical arguments behind economic theory unless you stay at a place like UCL where the entire subject rests on mathematical models.

When you look at places like Harvard, Chicago, Cambridge; economic heavy-weights, they all demand a more balanced approach to economics. UCL does not offer this.

You do realise that a mathematical background places you best for a postgrad in economics. Often, the best economists are mathematicians. Yes, mathematical models only get us so far but that doesn't make UCL worse than QMUL. It is more reputable, more rigorous and so overall a better school.
Reply 16
You do realise that a mathematical background places you best for a postgrad in economics. Often, the best economists are mathematicians. Yes, mathematical models only get us so far but that doesn't make UCL worse than QMUL. It is more reputable, more rigorous and so overall a better school.

As I said, economics as a discipline is moving away from the fallacious economic models of old - where, i agree, mathematics is extremely important - back towards a more philosophical discipline.

The best economists are not the best mathematicians. When you think of Hayek, Friedman, Keynes, Sowell, Mill, Smith, ect. you do not think of mathematics as their forte.
Original post by cacra
As I said, economics as a discipline is moving away from the fallacious economic models of old - where, i agree, mathematics is extremely important - back towards a more philosophical discipline.

The best economists are not the best mathematicians. When you think of Hayek, Friedman, Keynes, Sowell, Mill, Smith, ect. you do not think of mathematics as their forte.

Keynes was of course a damn good mathematician though, as were von Neumann, Nash, etc

Still don't get why this makes UCL bad - to succeed at postgrad you need a strong mathematical grounding
Reply 18
Keynes was of course a damn good mathematician though, as were von Neumann, Nash, etc

Still don't get why this makes UCL bad - to succeed at postgrad you need a strong mathematical grounding

Mathematics is important at the present.

However if there is one thing 2008 and the subsequent years have taught us it is that economics as a discipline is over-reliant on mathematics, to the extent where it's economic models have almost no basis in reality.

Economics is moving away from mathematics, if you want to go into academia, UCL is not the place to go.

That isn't necessarily to say that UCL is a bad university; applied mathematics has it's uses.
Original post by JOR2010
Go for UCL, by far the best on this list. If you don't like Maths, go for Kings. The rest lag behind by some margin.

Agree to some extent, by the largest extent possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending