The Student Room Group

Anyone else off to China for the Generation UK-China programme?

Hiya!

I've just been offered a place to go to China for a semester at the Harbin Institute of Technology to study Chinese with Chemistry - anyone else been offered a place on one of the scholarship programmes? Would be great to get to know each other before the start of the year/ motivate each other to start practicing Chinese!
Original post by Nadal1991
Hey! I received a conditional offer but haven't heard back, I assume I'm still going. Has your place been confirmed by the Chinese university?

Hi! No, I haven't heard back from the uni yet - I emailed them and apparently we should hear back within a month. Hopefully there's still enough time to sort out flights and visas after that!

Which scholarship did you get offered and which Chinese uni?
Harbin! I've applied to do the combined Engineering and Mandarin course despite having just completed a humanities degree and not having done any science since 2008 :O.

YAY! Awesome :smile:

I applied for the combined Chemical Sciences with Chinese - might investigate switching Chemistry to Chemical Engineering though, I'm currently studying Chemistry at uni so not sure what level the Chemical Sciences course would be at.

What made you apply for Engineering then?
I just decided that I wanted a change of scenery, I realised last year that I found Engineering interesting but not to the point of pursuing a second degree :tongue:.

Chemical Engineering sounds interesting, you can probably change your course when you get there so take all the time you need. Are you still in university then?

When will you be going there? Term 1 or 2? I was meant to go this Sep but because I will be in China on a M visa (I'm doing an internship) I've been told I won't be able to apply for an X2 visa inside China and will have to instead go in Feb. But I've just seen online that it is possible and now I'm conflicted on which term I want (Term 2 will allow me to enjoy the winter festival!)

Hmmm, fair enough :smile: Yes, I've just finished second year - managed to persuade my uni to give me a year out so I could got to China :smile:

I'm going for term 1 - I've heard that apparently it is quite difficult/ complicated to apply for another visa once you're in China, but not impossible. One of my friends suggested to me (I was considering working in China for the second half the year) that I pop down to Hong Kong, then apply for the visa there to re-enter mainland China. Apparently this is a lot easier, so might be worth considering?

Also, couldn't you go to the winter festival after term 1? That's what I was hoping to do...
Reply 4
Anyone else applied to a generation UK China scholarship this year?

Quick Reply

Latest