anyone sitting the LL4 WJEC exam next Thursday and doing Wuthering Height??s

Watch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
anyone doing the exam and have any clue how to revise it?? I have notes but its so broad I dont even know if they are worth it?
hycurrie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did it last year and got an A. I found that rereading the book, listening to the book on youtube (by chapter) helped as well as a website called shmoop and other websites. I also made flash cards with different chapter summaries and some with the different theorist and theories surrounding the novel. Don't forget to revise your partnering text as you don't get that in the exam.

Reading example essays are good too, and remembering some good quotes about the book and what to say about them and certain chapters to refer to for a certain type of question, so that you don't spend forever trying to think of what to write and where it is in the book.

also doing try doing some exam questions

Hope this helps and good luck for thursday
_livvy_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing this as well, I'm also struggling to revise but I found watching the movie, marking key scenes and making little posters about themes has helped me. I'll probably download the audio book as well, thanks hycurrie

I wouldn't worry too much though, as long as you know the book and can write a decent essay it should be a piece of cake. Just gotta remember terminology and where quotes are
AlysiaH
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing this exam! Quite worried, mainly about time management:P my notes consist of important quotes, e.g. 3 for the main topics that will hopefully come up (power, marriage, knowledge, loneliness, etc) and I've done 2 quotes for each of them for my partner text, just about rereading the book tbh I've bought a copy of the book that I use that has no notes in so I can use it in the exam, this way I know where everything is in the book and it helps to visualise the notes x
_livvy_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you have to bring your own clean copy of the book? I thought they were supposed to supply you with one. Maybe it depends on the college..
valkyrie-grey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing the exam and dreading it to be honest. Hate the book and am stressing about the partner texts. Don't even get me started on the comparison of unseen texts :'(
hycurrie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by _livvy_)
Do you have to bring your own clean copy of the book? I thought they were supposed to supply you with one. Maybe it depends on the college..
My school were meant to supply them but found out that they didn't have enough like 4 days before the actual exam so we had to bring clean copies if we had them but they had to be checked for notes and kept a hold of until the exam.

It was annoying as we were all told to buy a certain type of Wuthering Heights book but when it came to the exam they had a different book in the exam hall which made it hard to find quotes but luckily I had almost memorised every quote it wanted to use so it wasn't as big a problem for me.

You also don't get a copy of the additional text(s) what so ever.
AlysiaH
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone got any predictions about what topics will come up for Wuthering Heights?
Also, how many points do you think makes a good essay? My older essays, I wrote about 7 points but in my more recent essays I've been writing about 3/4 points and expanding on them?
Rep:
?
(Original post by s1796)
How did everyone find today's paper then ?
It was a bit of a gift really did you do it too ?
s1796
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
QUOTEImage=12397;56907613]It was a bit of a gift really did you do it too ?[ QUOTEImage]

Yeah I did....section A wasn't too bad. The 3 texts were quite good to compare, although there was a lot more to compare in Texts A and B than C i found.Did W.H for the 2nd question, chose to go with the love question and again that wasn't too bad...i could've written on and on if i had more time! Out of curiousity how much did you write?
Rep:
?
(Original post by s1796)
QUOTEImage=12397;56907613]It was a bit of a gift really did you do it too ?[ QUOTEImage]

Yeah I did....section A wasn't too bad. The 3 texts were quite good to compare, although there was a lot more to compare in Texts A and B than C i found.Did W.H for the 2nd question, chose to go with the love question and again that wasn't too bad...i could've written on and on if i had more time! Out of curiousity how much did you write?
Yeah section A was good and did 8 sides so 4 per section. I did the rivalry question. I'm kicking my self because love was the one question I really wanted to do yet completely missinturpreted the quote at the begging and just thought it had no relation. However I just talked about rivalry for love any how 😂
s1796
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 12397)
Yeah section A was good and did 8 sides so 4 per section. I did the rivalry question. I'm kicking my self because love was the one question I really wanted to do yet completely missinturpreted the quote at the begging and just thought it had no relation. However I just talked about rivalry for love any how 😂
Ahh i did 6 and a half in total....don't think I could've written any more! Although my handwriting is fairly small!
Ahh i answered love, although there were so many other themes that linked i could've gone on writing more if i had more time!
Rep:
?
(Original post by s1796)
Ahh i did 6 and a half in total....don't think I could've written any more! Although my handwriting is fairly small!
Ahh i answered love, although there were so many other themes that linked i could've gone on writing more if i had more time!
Its quality not quantity!. Also my hand writing is huge.
SeanKellyXO
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did this exam also, and did Wuthering Heights and decided to do the question on love.

Just wrote about how Bronte presents love to be damaging e.g. Heathcliffs uncontrollable passion of tears in chapter 3 how it damages him emotionally when Lockwood sees Cathys ghost

Also talked about how love is seen to be more in favour or men towards women and how love is presented as to give men all the power and to leave women completely powerless. Mainly talked about chapter 14 and used quotes from Heathcliff and Isobellas marriage and how Isobella is completely powerless e.g. when Heathcliff says 'you'll remember her language if you're called upon in the court of law'.

Can't remember what else I put, used The Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire as my partner texts. And overall thought the exam went quite well, to say I've been really underachieving in English all year.

What did everyone think of Section A? And what did you all think the main messages of Texts A, B and C were, and what were they trying to say about the world war?
s1796
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SeanKellyXO)
I did this exam also, and did Wuthering Heights and decided to do the question on love.

Just wrote about how Bronte presents love to be damaging e.g. Heathcliffs uncontrollable passion of tears in chapter 3 how it damages him emotionally when Lockwood sees Cathys ghost

Also talked about how love is seen to be more in favour or men towards women and how love is presented as to give men all the power and to leave women completely powerless. Mainly talked about chapter 14 and used quotes from Heathcliff and Isobellas marriage and how Isobella is completely powerless e.g. when Heathcliff says 'you'll remember her language if you're called upon in the court of law'.

Can't remember what else I put, used The Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire as my partner texts. And overall thought the exam went quite well, to say I've been really underachieving in English all year.

What did everyone think of Section A? And what did you all think the main messages of Texts A, B and C were, and what were they trying to say about the world war?
Hey,

Ermm i though the message of A was patriotism and how one should be proud to die for their country. B and C were more anti-more I though, particularly B which was quite graphic in its description. C I said was comedic and satirical, but still portrayed the destructive nature of war. So overall A was positive of war, B and C negative. How about yourself?

For love I mentioned the loveless marriages of H + I, C + E, etc and how it all changed in the end with Cathy and Hareton. I mentioned Heathcliff and Catherine's love for each other extensively, and how that was the total opposite to Catherine and Edgar. I used Educating Rita and Frankenstein as my partner texts.

Tbh its really hard to judge how well you've done particularly in essay subjects as they are quite subjective. I put as much content down as i could in the time, I had quite a lot more to say for Wuthering Heights and I may have forgotten a few 'basics', but I'm hoping I get a good grade for it!
username1776853
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How did you structure section A? I think my structure and approach of answering was poor. Also how many linguistic devices did you all use?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.72%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (67)
28.51%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.77%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.55%

Watched Threads