grassntai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to qualify as a chartered accountant should I get an English or an accounting degree? I know you don't need an accounting degree to become an accountant but is an English degree too far fetched or can I still make it if I do internships and stuff?
Avieness
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Degree subject makes no difference to the major firms as they know you'll learn everything you need once you join (some small firms and industry employers might look for an business-type degree). Most important thing is to do whichever subject you enjoy most and ensure you get a 2.1 minimum.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
accounting imo
grassntai
Rep:
?
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
accounting imo
So you would say an accounting and finance degree from Lancaster uni > English degree from kcl

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by grassntai)
So you would say an accounting and finance degree from Lancaster uni > English degree from kcl

Posted from TSR Mobile
kcl > lancaster

but if you wanna be accountant for sure, accounting degree a lot ,ore useful
grassntai
Rep:
?
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
kcl > lancaster

but if you wanna be accountant for sure, accounting degree a lot ,ore useful
To be honest with you I just want the ACA and the ultimate goal is to start a business, I have no long term plan to become an accountant.

It's just according to their brochure the ACA is taken by around 14% arts graduate so I thought I would follow that path as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chapeau Rouge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by grassntai)
To be honest with you I just want the ACA and the ultimate goal is to start a business, I have no long term plan to become an accountant.

It's just according to their brochure the ACA is taken by around 14% arts graduate so I thought I would follow that path as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's because we Arts students don't know what else to do! If you want to start a business I would recommend doing something finance related if this is your ultimate goal, it would be infinitely more helpful than an English degree. Ignore the comment above about KCL> Lancaster, that is completely meaningless considering your future goals. Do you actually have these offers or is this theoretical?
Pipsico
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Between the two, I would do the accounting degree personally - but I'm more about saving time. You can more easily demonstrate that you want to be an accountant.... Plus if you chose wisely, could get a bunch of exemptions from your accounting exams once you've finished your degree.

Of course, English would be good from a variety point of view - and very transferable in the workplace too. Communication is a key skill.

Basically - one saves time and is the more 'obvious' route

The other may be more fulfilling, adds an extra dimension. It shouldn't be that much of a hurdle when applying. Bear In mind some firms do ask for a 'numerical' degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ICAEW Advisor Jackie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dear Grassntai,

it is great news you are hoping to become an ICAEW Chartered Accountant. To echo some of TSR members, your degree subject is not important. We would suggest to go for something you are good at so you can achieve a 2:1 or above.

The fact that you are looking to start your own business after completing your ACA is very exciting. A lot of ICAEW Chartered Accountants work outside of practice!

If you need any information from me please let me know.

Kind regards,

Ashleigh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.45%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
13.97%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (137)
33.58%

Watched Threads