Is anyone else studying 'Rapture' by Carol Ann Duffy?

Watch
bethnonsense
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(A2 Edexcel English Literature)
Sourwolf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm studying it with Gatsby and Tess of the D'Urbervilles
bethnonsense
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Sourwolf)
I'm studying it with Gatsby and Tess of the D'Urbervilles
How are you finding it? I'm struggling with choosing which poems to talk about to fit the question.
I'm doing Gatsby too but not Tess; I can't imagine having to do three texts!!
Sourwolf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, same here. I find that Gatsby and Tess fit quite well together but it's difficult to fit Rapture anywhere even though that's the text I need to include the most.
I think i'm just going to find a lot of context and criticism and try and throw it in since those are the A0s that are heavily weighted the most. Maybe mention the homosexual subtext of Rapture and how Duffy may try to obscure her own personal feelings by making the lovers within the poems purposely anonymous? Despite the fact it's been speculated that she's writing about her relationship Jackie Kay. That's kinda similar to how there might be homosexual subtext with Nick towards Gatsby (i.e. he says he's 'handsome', jumps in to defend him all the time, can't sleep when he's worried about him, views Daisy as a temptress with barely hidden distain and the scene in the lift with that photographer putting his hand on the lever)but Fitzgerald also had to hide it because homosexuality was punishable by imprisonment at that time where as now it's just taboo and mean Tony Blair didn't let Duffy become poet laureate first time around.
Literally that's the only point I really have to link those two haha. Maybe throw in something about seasons or setting reflecting relationships or infidelity or cheating is implied? That is if your exam focus in on relationships as well? I'm not sure though.
Good luck for tomorrow though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads