The Student Room Group

confused

Should I do IB, if I'm finding As-level hard?
Reply 1
Original post by Leah Alemayehu

It may be an option. How long have you been doing them? What subjects are you doing?
Original post by 8472
It may be an option. How long have you been doing them? What subjects are you doing?

I've just done one 1yr of AS-level, in which I took the subjects Chem, Bio, Math and Eng.
I found Chem quite hard this yr and I think I did bad, so that's why I thought of IB.
Should I go for IB?
(edited 8 years ago)
I've just done one 1yr of AS-level, in which I took the subjects Chem, Bio, Math and Eng.
I found Chem quite hard this yr and I think I did bad, so that's why I thought of IB.
Should I go for IB?

IB has a greater workload on average, unless you are an A level student doing something like Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and applying for a mathematics course at a top university, that would be the exception. If you struggled with chemistry, drop it at A2, but if you go to IB you will lose a year of your life for a course with a greater workload.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
IB has a greater workload on average, unless you are an A level student doing something like Maths, Further Macontinue Physics, Economics and applying for a mathematics course at a top university, that would be the exception. If you struggled with chemistry, drop it at A2, but if you go to IB you will lose a year of your life for a course with a greater workload.

If I drop at A2 then I'll have less of a chance to get accepted into a good university for medicine, and chemistry is a must in order to continue in medicine.
If I drop at A2 then I'll have less of a chance to get accepted into a good university for medicine, and chemistry is a must in order to continue in medicine.

I know its a must for medicine, but you never stated you intended on applying for medicine. Do you find chemistry hard but enjoyable but hard and not enjoyable, because if the latter, consider whether you really want to do medicine at uni.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
I know its a must for medicine, but you never stated you intended on applying for medicine. Do you find chemistry hard but enjoyable but hard and not enjoyable, because if the latter, consider whether you really want to do medicine at uni.

I find chemistry hard but sometimes enjoyable, but on the other hand I love biology, that's what made me want to go into medicine. But if medicine doesn't work out for me, then I just want to go into a field with biology in it. What good fields are there which only require biology?
(edited 8 years ago)

Then you will find IB harder! IB is insane.The workload is awful, this is what I had to do for monday and tuesday, JUST monday and tuesday:
Biology IA
Chemistry IA
Italian written assignment
Business project
Study for a biology HL test
Chemistry lab report
ToK essay
Can anybody give me an idea of what should I do for my chemistry IA which should be 10 hour long?
Original post by atomhumber
Can anybody give me an idea of what should I do for my chemistry IA which should be 10 hour long?

You should definitely do it on something that can be related to everyday living. By this I mean using methods related to chemistry (e.g. titration) to perhaps measure the content of x (dependent variable) in samples of food/drink (independent variable). This is good because then you can make recommendations that everybody can relate to. Hope I helped!
Original post by camillaswift
Then you will find IB harder!

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending