Does anyone care about protecting natural habitats?

Watch
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Personally I think this is one of the top things the human race should be doing for a variety of reasons. But wondered how everyone else felt? And if anyone else on here feels strongly about society's duty to safeguarding the natural habitats in the UK (and abroad).
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
I guess that's a no
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Natural habitats should be safeguarded because of their economic value as well as their aesthetic value.

But, in itself, I don't think that safeguarding natural habitats or protecting ecosystems or maintaining biodiversity is a good thing. It's only good if it increases happiness or reduces suffering, which it often does.
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by viddy9)
Natural habitats should be safeguarded because of their economic value as well as their aesthetic value.

But, in itself, I don't think that safeguarding natural habitats or protecting ecosystems or maintaining biodiversity is a good thing. It's only good if it increases happiness or reduces suffering, which it often does.
Also, many medicines are derived from wildlife. Even today many new drugs to combat AIDS and cancer are coming from plant extracts.

The thing I always struggle to explain in words is the importance of protecting a natural landscape and ecosystem just for its own sake - i.e. without some kind of human benefit. To me, this is hugely important, because once it's gone, it's gone forever and feels like one of the most important things to save. But whenever I try to explain that to people I feel a bit stupid... as I know it has no direct benefit to anyone.
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes!

I honestly don't get how people don't care...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blank_Planet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol, I read the title as "protecting natural HABITS" and was trying to figure out what natural habits should human preserve
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Society as a whole has no obligation. They are so far removed from the countryside that they don't even know where their food comes from. It is down to the land owners and land managers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Stefan*)
Yes!

I honestly don't get how people don't care...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Phew, not just me then

(Original post by Blank_Planet)
Lol, I read the title as "protecting natural HABITS" and was trying to figure out what natural habits should human preserve
That's a whole other thread. You should start it! :lol:

(Original post by DiddyDec)
Society as a whole has no obligation. They are so far removed from the countryside that they don't even know where their food comes from. It is down to the land owners and land managers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it just seems that there is pointless destruction and we should be actively seeking to protect everything that makes our planet a wonderful place to live.
viddy9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Captain Jack)
Also, many medicines are derived from wildlife. Even today many new drugs to combat AIDS and cancer are coming from plant extracts.
Indeed, that's another very important reason for protection.
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

No it just seems that there is pointless destruction and we should be actively seeking to protect everything that makes our planet a wonderful place to live.
In the UK we do actively try to protect habitats through stewardship schemes and grants which gives farmers and landowners a financial incentive to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by viddy9)
Indeed, that's another very important reason for protection.
Yeah, we just don't know what's out there. For every square mile of forest or habitat destroyed, another cure might be wiped out with it.
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
In the UK we do actively try to protect habitats through stewardship schemes and grants which gives farmers and landowners a financial incentive to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't know that - thanks for letting me know That's cool.
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't know that - thanks for letting me know That's cool.
This is the problem that we have in modern society, people are so far removed from agricultural that they are completely clueless about the goings on. Almost the entire countryside is managed by someone whether it be farmers fields or Mountains someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
This is the problem that we have in modern society, people are so far removed from agricultural that they are completely clueless about the goings on. Almost the entire countryside is managed by someone whether it be farmers fields or Mountains someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes - I agree we should do more to educate people. I keep wondering if there is an interesting way of highlighting this stuff on TSR that would make it interesting for people.
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes - I agree we should do more to educate people. I keep wondering if there is an interesting way of highlighting this stuff on TSR that would make it interesting for people.
Most people simply don't care unless it is about the poor little animals being abused. Which from my experience it is generally a load of misinformation and lies, to further the stance that 'meat is murder'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
Most people simply don't care unless it is about the poor little animals being abused. Which from my experience it is generally a load of misinformation and lies, to further the stance that 'meat is murder'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. While I do care about animal welfare, a lot. I believe it's more or at least, as important to focus for now on protecting habitats to secure ecosystems and safe zones for wildlife.
HigherMinion
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I guess that's a no
Well, take the Great Fen Project for example. Removing the leases of farm land that have been in certain family names for generations- only to demolish the farms, their profit and productivity, and reduce the land to nothing more than a marsh and grazing land for a few bison and sheep. Yes there are insects and such, but offering them a habitat doesn't much aid humanity when we could be toiling the fields for food production.

tl;dr: we domesticated areas and people like you want the order to be thrown away.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do care about protecting natural habitats. I also think that many people have alienated themselves from nature, and I feel that that is a bad thing. We are a part of nature, after all, and it wouldn't surprise me if our increasing isolation is unhelpful to our health and well-being. I know that I feel a lot better when surrounded by woods and hills.

Moreover, we need biodiversity.
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kittiara)
I do care about protecting natural habitats. I also think that many people have alienated themselves from nature, and I feel that that is a bad thing. We are a part of nature, after all, and it wouldn't surprise me if our increasing isolation is unhelpful to our health and well-being. I know that I feel a lot better when surrounded by woods and hills.

Moreover, we need biodiversity.
You summed up how I feel too very well
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say I care, but I don't do anything about it so... do I really? I care in an armchair sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (1)
25%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (3)
75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed