The Student Room Group

How does the triple science GCSE work???

How does the science GCSE work? As far as I know, Core is B1, C1 and P1. Additional is B2, C2 and P2, and Further (is it called Further?) is B3, C3, and P3. But at the end of the day, (i.e. when it comes to submitting grades to universities etc.) how are they recorded?

As in, do you have your qualifications for each science (e.g Core) or do you get one final grade at the end of the whole course?
Original post by cherryblossoming
How does the science GCSE work? As far as I know, Core is B1, C1 and P1. Additional is B2, C2 and P2, and Further (is it called Further?) is B3, C3, and P3. But at the end of the day, (i.e. when it comes to submitting grades to universities etc.) how are they recorded?

As in, do you have your qualifications for each science (e.g Core) or do you get one final grade at the end of the whole course?

Its a couple of years ago now but I did double science and got two grades - one for Core and one for Additional
Original post by AmyPilot
Its a couple of years ago now but I did double science and got two grades - one for Core and one for Additional

Right. Thanks for the input!

Single science: You spend 2 years studying core science and at the end of year 11 you take p1, c1, b1 to make a core science GCSE

Double science: You spend one year studying core science and at the end of year 10 you take the p1, b1 and c1 exams to make core science GCSE. You spend one year studying additional science then at the end of year 11 you take the p2, b2 and c2 exams to make additional science GCSE

Triple Science: You spend 2-3 (depending on your school) years studying core, additional and extension science then at the end of year 11 you take p1, p2, p3 to make Physics GSCE, b1, b2, b3 to make Biology GCSE and c1, c2, c3 to make Chemistry GCSE. Some schools take one of the sciences at the end of year 10 to lessen the load for year 11 but most just take all exams at once.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Segsation
Single science: You spend 2 years studying core science and at the end of year 11 you take p1, c1, b1 to make a core science GCSE

Double science: You spend one year studying core science and at the end of year 10 you take the p1, b1 and c1 exams to make core science GCSE. You spend one year studying additional science then at the end of year 11 you take the p2, b2 and c2 exams to make additional science GCSE

Triple Science: You spend 2-3 (depending on your school) years studying core, additional and extension science then at the end of year 11 you take p1, p2, p3 to make Physics GSCE, b1, b2, b3 to make Biology GCSE and c1, c2, c3 to make Chemistry GCSE. Some schools take one of the sciences at the end of year 10 to lessen the load for year 11 but most just take all exams at once.

Hope this helps!

Ah - I'm pretty much aware of that. So at the end of Triple Science, do you have one overall grade, or do you receive three (on for each science)?
Reply 5
Ah - I'm pretty much aware of that. So at the end of Triple Science, do you have one overall grade, or do you receive three (on for each science)?

I'm doing triple science (btw Unit 3 is called 'Separate science' as far as I'm aware)

I'm fairly sure we get one grade in each science:

1 Biology
1 Chemistry
1 Physics

p.s. good luck with core science to others doing it.
Original post by aadil10
I'm doing triple science (btw Unit 3 is called 'Separate science' as far as I'm aware)

I'm fairly sure we get one grade in each science:

1 Biology
1 Chemistry
1 Physics

p.s. good luck with core science to others doing it.

Oh, that would make sense. My Edexcel certificate for science (Core) just says A* though - it isn't separated by the different sciences? So does the overall grading of the different sciences come at the end of the course?

You get three GCSEs, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. They are all totally independent from each other and you will get a separate grad for each
One final grade for each science

1,2 and 3 of each science gets put together and the average when added together is your grade. :smile:
Reply 9
Oh, that would make sense. My Edexcel certificate for science (Core) just says A* though - it isn't separated by the different sciences? So does the overall grading of the different sciences come at the end of the course?

Hmm I'm not too sure tbh, I'm doing all 9 exams this year and my exam board is AQA. I'm just hoping to get as high as possible in core science to pull my others up hopefully to A/A* overall
Original post by Segsation
You get three GCSEs, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. They are all totally independent from each other and you will get a separate grad for each

Original post by thecatwithnohat
One final grade for each science1,2 and 3 of each science gets put together and the average when added together is your grade.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest