Edexcel A-level Music - 10th June 2015 Watch

amylouiselucas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Anyone got any predictions of what pieces might come up, and any pointers on how you're revising?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by She-Ra)
x
JBMusic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by amylouiselucas)
Anyone got any predictions of what pieces might come up, and any pointers on how you're revising?
Finally found a thread!! No idea what's going to come up, should really have a look at what's come up previously but I've effectively decided the best thing is to memorise key points for each set work and just replicate these on the day for whatever comes up! I'm really hoping for something like rhythm and texture with John Cage, Tippett and Beethoven as there's so much to write about,

It's the aurals that are killing me...
Lewisallows
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sitting this exam
I think the 36 mark essay will be fine, but I'm worried about the contextual ones... My teacher didn't bother covering the Gamelan so I just need Study the other four, but I have no idea what the question might be or what sort of stuff to revise. It's worse because I need to get high marks in this to compensate for the listening!
amylouiselucas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
We didn't really learn Gamelan either it's been up too many times already and if it comes up again you just pick the other 2 questions.
I think for the 36 marker melody and rhythm will come up as the elements, it has rarely come up yet and Armstrong hasn't really been on.
I haven't even started revising for music so i'm screwed! I really need to do well as well because my compositions were just shocking!

For Applied music you need to learn what feature makes it applied... what features show it was composed for a cathedral, what features heighten the suspense atmosphere, etc.
Remember, for applied music essays you don't have to write in continuous prose. You can just bullet point anything you remember with examples and still get marks (as long as you link to the Q)
salicional
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Gamelan's come up twice, so I don't think it will come up again, which is good news - should have some choice in Section B! With the Applied questions, I think it's worth putting down just about everything interesting about the piece, and then try and make it relevant to the question.
charlottedevega
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the applied section can be bulletpointed?!? really??
charlottedevega
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by amylouiselucas)
We didn't really learn Gamelan either it's been up too many times already and if it comes up again you just pick the other 2 questions.
I think for the 36 marker melody and rhythm will come up as the elements, it has rarely come up yet and Armstrong hasn't really been on.
I haven't even started revising for music so i'm screwed! I really need to do well as well because my compositions were just shocking!

For Applied music you need to learn what feature makes it applied... what features show it was composed for a cathedral, what features heighten the suspense atmosphere, etc.
Remember, for applied music essays you don't have to write in continuous prose. You can just bullet point anything you remember with examples and still get marks (as long as you link to the Q)
applied section can be bulletpointed????
JBMusic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The applied section can be bulletpointed, but must still be in prose so as long as it's not in note form you can bullet individual points

I tend to do it in prose but do a line break for each new point, which is essentially bulletpointing I guess...
Bethanwhitexx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
omg help I cant remember anything for each piece I keep getting them really muddled up! long night of revision for me! any predictions on composers for the 36 marker?? im very nervous and I need to do well
Jon96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How did people find the exam? The listening was Ravel Intro and allego
JBMusic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jon96)
How did people find the exam? The listening was Ravel Intro and allego
Really good! I didn't get the Ravel, but I recognised the music from Beethoven's Fidelio as well and found the score to check my notation.

What did you think of the essays?
salicional
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I literally can't believe how easy that paper was! It's like they weren't even trying to make the Section B essays a challenge. Worded them so that you could put in any number of points and make them relevant to the question.
Jon96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JBMusic)
Really good! I didn't get the Ravel, but I recognised the music from Beethoven's Fidelio as well and found the score to check my notation.

What did you think of the essays?
I didn't get the Beethoven,and I found the questions good, but though the question on Dido an Aeneas was going to be more on how Purcell usedmusical devices to create meaning etc...but managed to relate the answer. also found the dictation quite hard
JBMusic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The dictation was really difficult! If anyone wants me to message them with the correct notation from the score I found I can do, but I would imagine you want to forget about it :') I didn't get it quite right...

And I agree about the Purcell, not what I was expecting but I think I managed to relate it
Raaaaachx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What did people put for the listening questions? Are we allowed to post answers?
I completely guessed near enough every single answer😥
princesslaurat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JBMusic)
The dictation was really difficult! If anyone wants me to message them with the correct notation from the score I found I can do, but I would imagine you want to forget about it :' I didn't get it quite right...

And I agree about the Purcell, not what I was expecting but I think I managed to relate it
Can you please message me it? What did you put for the keys and cadences?
henrysamuel101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can anyone remember the wording for the stravinsky 13 marker question?
JBMusic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Here is the dictation that was in the exam, there's a cover if you don't want to find out what it was! (and it was from Beethoven's opera Fidelio)
emmamaymurphy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
T y

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?