The Student Room Group

Think I made a HUGE mistake in English

I know I can't do anything now but still. I done four paragraphs for question four,not the best I've ever done feel like I lacked in analysis. Question five, hm I don't know I done a bit but ran out of time, didn't think I done that well purely down to the fact I never described enough. Question six, this is were it gets bad, you know sattire? Right well it's humour but quite dark humour. I used it as you need to to get an A*, well I argued that we shouldn't help the poor children, I joked about how I don't care if they're hungry as long as my new trainers are made, sent and delivered by tomorrow. I said about how they're selfish for interrupting my favourite shows for help, I said theres Red Nose Day. Including this I used DAFOREST , a wide range of sentences, paragraph lengths, vocabulary and also punctuation. I feel i. Going to loose marks for taking it too far and my question five wasn't good. I was hoping for an A. Have what I done is wrong or? Some teachers said it was good and others laughed at the jokes I made and said it'll be fine because it's sattire but I'm worried if I get a marker who doesn't get it. Please help?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I reckon you'll be fine - I imagine that my english teacher would love it if I had used satire along with AFOREST :smile:
That's very clever! As long as you've established that it was satirical and not cynical then you'll be fine!
Original post by LingoPD
I reckon you'll be fine - I imagine that my english teacher would love it if I had used satire along with AFOREST :smile:

Good I used that as well. This gives me confidence
Original post by neil20143
That's very clever! As long as you've established that it was satirical and not cynical then you'll be fine!

Thank you so much. Do you really think so?!! I did a plan and I mentioned it was sytrical, I even mentioned the sentences I'd use it in, so I made it clear I was using sattire. I had a humorous but serious tone when answering i complained and I think I was clear and compelling. I think my marker will know I was using sattire as it really fit nicely with tone the tone of my piece. It was sarcastic. Thank you you made me feel confident know as all my friends were saying ive failed:frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Jamesstanley0
Thank you so much. Do you really think so?!! I did a plan and I mentioned it was sytrical, I even mentioned the sentences I'd use it in, so I made it clear I was using sattire. I had a humorous but serious tone when answering i complained and I think I was clear and compelling. I think my marker will know I was using sattire as it really fit nicely with tone the tone of my piece. It was sarcastic. Thank you you made me feel confident know as all my friends were saying ive failed:frown:

As long as it isn't racist or really insulting to people it's fine :P
Reply 6
You will be fine. I'm sure it will be unique to anything the examiner is reading!
I hope in the real thing you spelt satire with one t!
Reply 8
I believe it should be fine. It all depends on the WAY you've used the language though. If you've included satire language in a way which you think will come across as comical, then the examiner will too. However, if you've used it completely out of context then the examiner might be confused. Overall, you seem to have used a lot of persuasive techniques with DAFOREST so I'm sure you'll gain loads of marks there. Also, four paragraphs for question 4 isn't bad at all! Most people do between 4-6, in reality.

Wish you the best of luck, you've probably done better than you'd thought :smile:.
Original post by 'Chris'
I believe it should be fine. It all depends on the WAY you've used the language though. If you've included satire language in a way which you think will come across as comical, then the examiner will too. However, if you've used it completely out of context then the examiner might be confused. Overall, you seem to have used a lot of persuasive techniques with DAFOREST so I'm sure you'll gain loads of marks there. Also, four paragraphs for question 4 isn't bad at all! Most people do between 4-6, in reality.

Wish you the best of luck, you've probably done better than you'd thought :smile:.

I beleive it was comical, when I was righting I found it funny and so did other people but they just thought that you shouldn't include humour in it because it's argue. I wrote the piece aimed at snobby kids. I wrote about how they are the next posh and becks of society, that 50 grand for a car is reasonable compared to the 2 pound they beg for. Hopefully thanks so much. I think the examiner will know the point im making from it as im my plan i specifically stated what I was going to use it for. Wish you luck too!
Original post by aamirac
You will be fine. I'm sure it will be unique to anything the examiner is reading!

I thought that. I thought it will probably be the same as most people's in my year if I was doing the same so I thought I'll be original and creative and hopefully they like it.
Original post by seaholme
I hope in the real thing you spelt satire with one t!

I can't remember :frown: will it matter? I put it in my plan so they won't mark it either way so hopefully it won't affect my spag
Reply 12
It's been sometime since I had done English, but I think when I was doing GCSEs, my english teacher had a student write something about Hitler or Jews. The girl cried that she thought she went too far, when she got grades, it was an A*.
Reply 13
I beleive it was comical, when I was righting I found it funny and so did other people but they just thought that you shouldn't include humour in it because it's argue. I wrote the piece aimed at snobby kids. I wrote about how they are the next posh and becks of society, that 50 grand for a car is reasonable compared to the 2 pound they beg for. Hopefully thanks so much. I think the examiner will know the point im making from it as im my plan i specifically stated what I was going to use it for. Wish you luck too!

Yeah that sounds like a good idea! And don't listen to what other people have said because the questions mentioned to a magazine article of YOUR choice. Therefore, you could have directed it to any magazine i.e. any age group.
Original post by corpeal
It's been sometime since I had done English, but I think when I was doing GCSEs, my english teacher had a student write something about Hitler or Jews. The girl cried that she thought she went too far, when she got grades, it was an A*.

I've heard a similar story, about someone joking about michael jacksons death, he thought he had failed, everyone did and he got an A* thank you!!
I know I can't do anything now but still. I done four paragraphs for question four,not the best I've ever done feel like I lacked in analysis. Question five, hm I don't know I done a bit but ran out of time, didn't think I done that well purely down to the fact I never described enough. Question six, this is were it gets bad, you know sattire? Right well it's humour but quite dark humour. I used it as you need to to get an A*, well I argued that we shouldn't help the poor children, I joked about how I don't care if they're hungry as long as my new trainers are made, sent and delivered by tomorrow. I said about how they're selfish for interrupting my favourite shows for help, I said theres Red Nose Day. Including this I used DAFOREST , a wide range of sentences, paragraph lengths, vocabulary and also punctuation. I feel i. Going to loose marks for taking it too far and my question five wasn't good. I was hoping for an A. Have what I done is wrong or? Some teachers said it was good and others laughed at the jokes I made and said it'll be fine because it's sattire but I'm worried if I get a marker who doesn't get it. Please help?!

Yeah that's what I did, I mentioned something along the lines of it being UNICEF's job. And I thought we were supposed to argue against the statement?
Reading that paragraph, I think it'll be your actual English skills that let you down, not your satire.
Original post by 'Chris'
Yeah that sounds like a good idea! And don't listen to what other people have said because the questions mentioned to a magazine article of YOUR choice. Therefore, you could have directed it to any magazine i.e. any age group.

You've helped so much, I knew it said that and felt confident I'll ignore people and hopefully it pays off in August! I'm feeling better now a lot of people have said it should be fine. Another boy in my year always uses satire which is borderline offensive, he done similar things today he argued the same and mentioned sattire in this way. He normally does just as well as me with A*'s so hopefully.
In question 4 were u allowed to use sentence types guys, cuz my m8 said u weren't allowed?
Original post by RahhComments
Yeah that's what I did, I mentioned something along the lines of it being UNICEF's job. And I thought we were supposed to argue against the statement?

We did, we could argue it in either way and I felt there was more to say and better points on this arguement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending