The Student Room Group

OCR Additional Maths FSMQ - 03/06/15

Anyone doing this exam tomorrow? Any predictions for questions? I'm convinced I'm going to fail this :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RachJess4
Anyone doing this exam tomorrow? Any predictions for questions? I'm convinced I'm going to fail this :s-smilie:

Yeah I am. I also have computing and geography tomorrow two :/ 3 exams in one day, ugh.

I think just look at past papers as the topics for questions are nearly always the same.
Reply 2
Original post by aadil10
Yeah I am. I also have computing and geography tomorrow two :/ 3 exams in one day, ugh.

I think just look at past papers as the topics for questions are nearly always the same.

Good luck! Some people at my school have geography and German tomorrow as well, luckily I do neither of those!
Reply 3
Good luck! Some people at my school have geography and German tomorrow as well, luckily I do neither of those!

thanks, yeah I'm fairly confident with maths, although I still don't know those constant acceleration equations or trig identities very well yet! I'm worried about the other two as I haven't done much revision for them tbh.
Reply 4

I have those exams tomorrow...two German exams, Geography and Add Maths, ugh :frown:
I'm definitely going to fail Add Maths. Do you know if we need to declare it on our UCAS form?
Reply 5
Original post by torilee
I have those exams tomorrow...two German exams, Geography and Add Maths, ugh :frown:
I'm definitely going to fail Add Maths. Do you know if we need to declare it on our UCAS form?

Good luck!
I really, really hope we don't have to declare it... :/
I wish I wasn't doing it.
Reply 6
Good luck!

look at it as an opportunity to get an extra qualification for free. Don't stress about it too much, just do your best
Reply 7
Good luck!

That really sucks, but trust me I know how you feel!
Thanks, good luck to you :smile:
I can't do about half the questions. Especially the problem solving ones.

i dont even know what the topics are let alone predictions - i am set to fail, will probably have a cry after the first hour haha
New to this forum, so I know it will be probability (just about) and algebra!
Original post by maddywald
i dont even know what the topics are let alone predictions - i am set to fail, will probably have a cry after the first hour haha

Little checklist:

Quadratics: Sketching graphs, factorising, etc
Inequalities/Simultaneous Equations
Binomial Probability
Algabraic Division + Remainder Theorem
Factor Theorem
Curve Sketching
Linear Programming (oh the joy)
Trigonometry (GCSE stuff mainly)
Differentiation + Integration
Kinematics: Constant acceleration + Displacement/Velocity/Acceleration
Original post by aadil10
Little checklist:

Quadratics: Sketching graphs, factorising, etc
Inequalities/Simultaneous Equations
Binomial Probability
Algabraic Division + Remainder Theorem
Factor Theorem
Curve Sketching
Linear Programming (oh the joy)
Trigonometry (GCSE stuff mainly)
Differentiation + Integration
Kinematics: Constant acceleration + Displacement/Velocity/Acceleration

oh my you life saver thank you!! linear programming is the bane of my life just gonna ignore that bit
Do you guys use the revision guide? If so, I would 100% recommend going through the key points at the end of each chapter before tomorrow.
Ensure that you are able to:
Rearrange formulae (crucial to the whole course)
Use factorisation, the quadratic formula and completing the square to solve for x
Apply algebraic manipulation to a worded question
Use the GCSE surds rules to answer any surds question (most common of which is expansion of brackets involving surfs)
Divide polynomials
Use the remainder theorem
Use the nCr function to find coefficients of x
Expand binomials
Find probabilities using binomial expansion
Find line gradients, midpoints, distances and equations
Find equations of circles
Understand inequality lines
Draw graphs (to be honest, it's worth only a single mark on simple drawings and if you're struggling for time - leave it, the harder ones are important as they are worth more marks but the simple ones take longer than they're worth)
Apply inequality knowledge to find optimum points in a given region, created by inequality lines
Use the objective function to find optimums
Use right-angled trig (SOHCAHTOA)
Use the two trig manipulation rules, which you may need to use together
Use the sine and cosine rules to find angles or lengths, as well as the area of a triangle rule
Use trig in 3 dimensions
Differentiate in calculus to find the coordinate of a turning point or the gradient of a tangent to a curve
Determine the nature of turning points (by observing points around a turning point, or using double differentiation - not on the syllabus but much faster)
Integrate in calculus between no limits to obtain an equation of a curve
Integrate with limits to find an area
Apply kinematics formulae to find values of s,u,v,a or t (constant acceleration)
Differentiate or integrate to find s,v or a (non-constant acceleration)

That looks like loads to even me, who feels completely prepared. If anyone needs any help with questions or wants me to find specific questions in which a topic is covered - ask.

Is everyone doing this because they did their GCS last year, or are you doing it alongside it?
oh my you life saver thank you!! linear programming is the bane of my life just gonna ignore that bit

XD the main problem I found was knowing what method to do in the question. I know how to do everything (well almost) I just don't know when to do them :P I'll end up integrating all the stuff that needs differentiating :biggrin:
Original post by LewisCroney
Do you guys use the revision guide? If so, I would 100% recommend going through the key points at the end of each chapter before tomorrow.
Ensure that you are able to:
Rearrange formulae (crucial to the whole course)
Use factorisation, the quadratic formula and completing the square to solve for x
Apply algebraic manipulation to a worded question
Use the GCSE surds rules to answer any surds question (most common of which is expansion of brackets involving surfs)
Divide polynomials
Use the remainder theorem
Use the nCr function to find coefficients of x
Expand binomials
Find probabilities using binomial expansion
Find line gradients, midpoints, distances and equations
Find equations of circles
Understand inequality lines
Draw graphs (to be honest, it's worth only a single mark on simple drawings and if you're struggling for time - leave it, the harder ones are important as they are worth more marks but the simple ones take longer than they're worth)
Apply inequality knowledge to find optimum points in a given region, created by inequality lines
Use the objective function to find optimums
Use right-angled trig (SOHCAHTOA)
Use the two trig manipulation rules, which you may need to use together
Use the sine and cosine rules to find angles or lengths, as well as the area of a triangle rule
Use trig in 3 dimensions
Differentiate in calculus to find the coordinate of a turning point or the gradient of a tangent to a curve
Determine the nature of turning points (by observing points around a turning point, or using double differentiation - not on the syllabus but much faster)
Integrate in calculus between no limits to obtain an equation of a curve
Integrate with limits to find an area
Apply kinematics formulae to find values of s,u,v,a or t (constant acceleration)
Differentiate or integrate to find s,v or a (non-constant acceleration)

That looks like loads to even me, who feels completely prepared. If anyone needs any help with questions or wants me to find specific questions in which a topic is covered - ask.

Is everyone doing this because they did their GCS last year, or are you doing it alongside it?

Not sure how i feel about this... what the heck is dividing polynomials????? I'm doing this alongside my GCSE and regretting it - i also have geography tomorrow so im dying x2
Original post by aadil10
XD the main problem I found was knowing what method to do in the question. I know how to do everything (well almost) I just don't know when to do them :P I'll end up integrating all the stuff that needs differentiating :biggrin:

yeah i get ya, i wish i could say the same but i probably am comfortable with about 1/10 of the course and thats the kinematics because its lit just formulas
yeah i get ya, i wish i could say the same but i probably am comfortable with about 1/10 of the course and thats the kinematics because its lit just formulas

XD I think I spent too long revising this and not enough on computing or geography. Ugh don't know a single case study! better do some now tbh :biggrin:
Original post by aadil10
XD I think I spent too long revising this and not enough on computing or geography. Ugh don't know a single case study! better do some now tbh :biggrin:

you could be right there... those case studies are pretty weighty and hold like a good 1/3 of the marks :biggrin:
Not sure how i feel about this... what the heck is dividing polynomials????? I'm doing this alongside my GCSE and regretting it - i also have geography tomorrow so im dying x2

It's when you have something like x^3+5x^2+8x+6 divided by x+2

I did this after doing GCSE last year - it made the difference. The whole course took three months to learn. Since February I've not been doing maths in maths lessons. As long as you know most of the things on that list you'll be fine. What are you aiming for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending