The Student Room Group

Important issues concerning Physics entry grades

Hello
I am 15 years old and I am doing my A levels a few years early due to the fact that I am homeschooled.
I have done 8 IGCSES with A* in Maths, Physics and Biology and A in the rest.

Last year I did my AS Maths and got the A requirement, this year I am doing A2 maths and Physics and Chemistry AS.
Next year I plan to do Physics A2 and further maths AS and A2.

Overall I am doing 3 A Levels and an AS in Chemistry.

I am currently looking at UCL as a prospective university. They have on their requirements an AAA offer for Bsc physics plus a pass in an AS.
Would a B in chemistry suffice as the pass in the AS, as it's my worst subject and I am unsure as to whether I will get the A or not? And what is the attitude for other universities (Imperial etc.) towards getting a B in the AS level?

Also, does UCL still make offers to candidates who have more than the accepted grades, for example A*A*A? or A*AA? What if "grade inflation" was to occur during the time I get my grades and the time I apply to university? Becuase I'll be finishing my A levels early I plan to read up on the subject and get work experience etc. so do universities favour grades that are "in the bag" (so I won't receive a conditional offer).

(I also have a grade 8 piano if that helps!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by phoenixsilver
Hello
I am 15 years old and I am doing my A levels a few years early due to the fact that I am homeschooled.
I have done 8 IGCSES with A* in Maths, Physics and Biology and A in the rest.

Last year I did my AS Maths and got the A requirement, this year I am doing A2 maths and Physics and Chemistry AS.
Next year I plan to do Physics A2 and further maths AS and A2.

Overall I am doing 3 A Levels and an AS in Chemistry.

I am currently looking at UCL as a prospective university. They have on their requirements an AAA offer for Bsc physics plus a pass in an AS.
Would a B in chemistry suffice as the pass in the AS, as it's my worst subject and I am unsure as to whether I will get the A or not? And what is the attitude for other universities (Imperial etc.) towards getting a B in the AS level?

Also, does UCL still make offers to candidates who have more than the accepted grades, for example A*A*A? or A*AA? What if "grade inflation" was to occur during the time I get my grades and the time I apply to university? Becuase I'll be finishing my A levels early I plan to read up on the subject and get work experience etc. so do universities favour grades that are "in the bag" (so I won't receive a conditional offer).

(I also have a grade 8 piano if that helps!)

With regards to chemistry, if it says "a pass", they literally just mean a pass, so a B is more than sufficient!
Also, I'm pretty sure the AAA that you're talking about is what you'd call a "typical offer". So although this is around the standard they're looking for, every offer is unique and this may not necessarily be the grades they ask for if they decide to make you an offer. It's important to remember that while the grades are important, they're also interested to you as a person, your interest in the subject, your attitude towards study etc.
If you achieve grades that are above what they ask for, they will definitely still accept your place - they're looking for the best and brightest, so getting grades that are better than your offer is never a bad thing!
I definitely wouldn't worry about things like "grade inflation" as they should take things such as when you did your a-levels into consideration.
I don't think they would "favour" grades that are "in the bag", but it takes the pressure off you a little, i guess.
Getting work experience and reading up is a very good idea, and should also help you in applying, as you can write that in your personal statement and it shows that you have a genuine interest in the subject
Hope this information helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending