The Student Room Group

Don't feel "part of the group" - Depressed & Lonely at University

Coming to the end of 1st year. Met a great bunch of friends during mid Sem1 whom I've grown closer to over the year, now go out and chill with them all of the time.

Not living with them currently but very close by so can pop over often. Still means i miss out on little things like watching a film or cooking together. My flat is very quiet so I get really lonely.

Not living with them next year, they got their house sorted as I met them as they're a big group so I'll be quite a distance. I'm worried I'll drift apart and no longer be a part of the group. Guys I'm living with are cool but not as close / as many shared experiences and not as fun.

Often I'm the one asking to come over, not invited, so I feel I'm intruding or being annoying. I get told they love me and I try to be and am told I am one of the nicest kindest and happiest person they've met but despite this I don't feel important to them.

I've tried to change the way I behave, be funnier, more kind, witty. Sometimes I feel I'm socially inept / awkward and that's why.

TL;DR
Live in a dead flat and feel lonely. Have a group of friends whom I go over often but feel by doing so I'm being annoying and I dont feel a part of the group no matter how much I try to change my behaviour.

Is it me, is it them, what do i do?
Be you.
Count yourself lucky to have a 'group'.
Reply 3
Perhaps you are overthinking it too much? Afterall you just finished your 1st year. You have like another 2 years left so I'm sure this is just a small passing. I mean, I would say just keep going as you usually would and not pay too much notice to it. You say you live close by so perhaps they are just trying to focus maybe?
Reply 4
Can't be worse than my experience.

I'm the quiet type and suffers from anxiety.When I joined uni,I didn't enter the kitchen for the first 3 months.(I had a meal deal,so I just went to the school canteen for dinner).
As a result,I missed out on bonding with some of my flatmates.The odd thing is even when I see them around campus,some of them won't say 'hi' to me,acting as if I'm a total stranger,lol.But well,next year I'll be on campus and will definitely bond with my new flatmates. :smile:

So,yeah,be grateful you have a group of people at uni!
I know less than 10 people here,and there are some days when I don't even utter a word!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Coming to the end of 1st year. Met a great bunch of friends during mid Sem1 whom I've grown closer to over the year, now go out and chill with them all of the time.

Not living with them currently but very close by so can pop over often. Still means i miss out on little things like watching a film or cooking together. My flat is very quiet so I get really lonely.

Not living with them next year, they got their house sorted as I met them as they're a big group so I'll be quite a distance. I'm worried I'll drift apart and no longer be a part of the group. Guys I'm living with are cool but not as close / as many shared experiences and not as fun.

Often I'm the one asking to come over, not invited, so I feel I'm intruding or being annoying. I get told they love me and I try to be and am told I am one of the nicest kindest and happiest person they've met but despite this I don't feel important to them.

I've tried to change the way I behave, be funnier, more kind, witty. Sometimes I feel I'm socially inept / awkward and that's why.

TL;DR
Live in a dead flat and feel lonely. Have a group of friends whom I go over often but feel by doing so I'm being annoying and I dont feel a part of the group no matter how much I try to change my behaviour.

Is it me, is it them, what do i do?

Oh God. I'm actually sat here depressed about the exact same situation. I swear you read my mind...your lonely flat...them living in a different flat...inviting yourself over...feeling like you're annoying...being told you're the nicest person they've ever met...not living with them next year. This is such a weird coincidence.

I'm going to watch this thread to see what kind of response you get. I hope it helps you and is useful for others too. :smile: x
Reply 6
That's fine haha. Yeah I mean I know a lot of people in and around campus, but despite that I prefer having that solid group and friendship. But to be honest I am probably overthinking it and going around in circles.

Im sure, like me, you also have those days you feel completely fine, whereas there are other days where you need to be around them.

Worst is when they all do things together and you're just alone in your flat. My strategy has been to adopt 2 - 3 different groups of which all I'm fairly close to so I have several friends I can go to when I'm lonely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending