The Student Room Group

protein shakes......?

what do you guys (and gals) think of protien shakes?

I`m considering trying them (maybe not all the time, but just a sort of "tester packet" for a couple of weeks to see if i see any improvement.

I`ve read about protien shakes versus chocolate milk ( high in calories) and protien seems to win hands down - but here`s my worry:

I`m exercising (weights, non-weights, jogging (only my 3rd day and i managed 2.7 miles!!!)) :smile: but, i`m trying to get rid of the remaining fat on my belly (as well as tone-up generally) and my worry is: will a protein shake just pile more onto my belly?

I`m really uncertain about shakes, as i don`t want to "cheat" in getting a better body by using them.

Recommend? not recommend?

Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Protein shakes aren't cheating. I plan on picking some whey protein up once I get paid.

They don't inherently make you lose weight, but as a meal replacement, as long as you're on a caloric deficit, you should lose fat weight. Plus muscle growth and repair.

Myprotein is (arguably) the best and cheapest source over here.
Reply 2
Not a necessity but by all means useful. You eat protein in various forms as it is now, the only thing a shake will do is increase the amount you have in your system. Protein being essential for muscle repair and building means that (to a limit) the more you have the better. Will it make you fat around your belly - not necessarily, but drink shakes and not train at your peril, the excess calories from shakes will make you put on weight, not the protein itself.

Shakes aren't cheating, no such thing.
Reply 3
Post an example of a typical days eating for you and also post your fitness routine. Protein shakes are a very small piece of the puzzle (although they could be a big piece of it in the negative direction if they cause you GI inflammation)
meh, protein is protein whether it comes from chicken, eggs, shakes etc it's all the same ****, only reason to take protein shakes is if you can't get enough from your diet, other than that they don't do anything special
(edited 8 years ago)
Whey protein shakes are not cheating. No protein shakes are cheating.

If you get a decent shaker, optimum nutrition are the best, then you won't pack on weight no.

Basically, to lose your bulging stomach: exercise 4 times per week, eat no more than 1,800 calories per day (COUNT THEM!), reward yourself at the end of each week with a cheat meal (pizza and ice cream or something, don't go mad on portion sizes though)... have a healthy mind set, drink 3 litres of water per day and make sure your meals are healthy (brown pasta, chicken breast, porridge etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lewif002

If you get a decent shaker, optimum nutrition are the best, then you won't pack on weight no.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Going by studies I've seen on r/fitness (and the personal opinions on there), ON are about on par with MyProtein for actual protein content, yet cost at least twice as much. Also MyProtein gets great reviews taste-wise. Ordered myself a bag today actually (so not tried it yet), but going by what other people have said it's what I'd recommend to OP.
Reply 7
A very useful supplement for getting extra protein into your diet without adding any extra fats or carbohydrates to your diet such as those which come along with natural protein sources. If you are going to the gym regularly you will definitely notice the difference between more protein and not eating enough, and protein shakes make it easy to do the former.
Original post by blackened_sky
Going by studies I've seen on r/fitness (and the personal opinions on there), ON are about on par with MyProtein for actual protein content, yet cost at least twice as much. Also MyProtein gets great reviews taste-wise. Ordered myself a bag today actually (so not tried it yet), but going by what other people have said it's what I'd recommend to OP.

I totally agree Optimum Nutrition is damn expensive. Tastes awesome tho. Buy it off discount supplements dot com if u want it a lil bit cheaper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I totally agree Optimum Nutrition is damn expensive. Tastes awesome tho. Buy it off discount supplements dot com if u want it a lil bit cheaper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh, I can't justify buying ON, you're just buying a brand tbh, definitely not spending £40 month in month out lol. I was using a whey/casein blend for a while and saw decent results but OP might as well just get MP whey and use that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make sure you sort out your diet as well, but protein shakes do help and are good for you if you're not dependant on them. GoNutriton is my favourite but as previously mentioned myprotein is good too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rugbybeast
Make sure you sort out your diet as well, but protein shakes do help and are good for you if you're not dependant on them. GoNutriton is my favourite but as previously mentioned myprotein is good too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the kind words @rugbybeast!

Glad you like our products. Is there anything we can do to improve? :smile:
Original post by GoNutrition
Thanks for the kind words @rugbybeast!

Glad you like our products. Is there anything we can do to improve? :smile:

Mixibility in my more recent bags haven't been as good as in the past of your whey 80. Other than that pretty good for everything else tbh
Whey protein shakes are not cheating. No protein shakes are cheating.

Basically, to lose your bulging stomach: exercise 4 times per week, eat no more than 1,800 calories per day (COUNT THEM!), reward yourself at the end of each week with a cheat meal (pizza and ice cream or something, don't go mad on portion sizes though)... have a healthy mind set, drink 3 litres of water per day and make sure your meals are healthy (brown pasta, chicken breast, porridge etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

1800 seems too low tbh. You only want to be about 300-500 caloric deficit each day otherwise metabolism will suffer especially if you're exercising 4 times a week (Intense I presume).
you seem to think protein shake is a steroid, it's not.
It's protein, into a drink so people can get their macros easier.
Original post by Dilzo999
1800 seems too low tbh. You only want to be about 300-500 caloric deficit each day otherwise metabolism will suffer especially if you're exercising 4 times a week (Intense I presume).

1800 too low?!?!

Considering OP sounds new to this, I'd imagine he has minimal muscle. BMR would probably sit around 2,050. I'd assume they burnt roughly 200 calories in a 50 minute strength-based workout
& then another 150 cals in some cardio. 2050+200+150 = 2,400 so 1,900 would be a 500 deficit.

Whenever I cut, I cut normally for 4 weeks at a 250 calorie deficit and then carb cycle for 6 weeks (my carb cycling consists of high carb, no carb, low carb repeat) and my calories are around

high carb: 2,100.

No carb: 1,100

Low carb: 1,350

So my average calorie intake is about 1500 when I am carb cycling and that's when I see the best cuts. I'm ripped AF right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I eat most of my protein. I'm not a fan of shakes tbh, but when i buy them i go to Myprotein. I'm not paying a fortune for Optimum Nutrition products. Don't buy protein from Holland and Barrett. They're too expensive.

Protein shakes aren't essential. They're just supplements. They aren't magic juice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

if taste is what you're after you might as well drink Nesquik. I would be more interested in the nutritional content than taste

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hasufel
what do you guys (and gals) think of protien shakes?

I`m considering trying them (maybe not all the time, but just a sort of "tester packet" for a couple of weeks to see if i see any improvement.

I`ve read about protien shakes versus chocolate milk ( high in calories) and protien seems to win hands down - but here`s my worry:

I`m exercising (weights, non-weights, jogging (only my 3rd day and i managed 2.7 miles!!!)) :smile: but, i`m trying to get rid of the remaining fat on my belly (as well as tone-up generally) and my worry is: will a protein shake just pile more onto my belly?

I`m really uncertain about shakes, as i don`t want to "cheat" in getting a better body by using them.

Recommend? not recommend?

Please help!

Just a warning, protein shakes can hurt your kidney and liver. Too much protein is actually unhealthy for you. For loosing weight, rely on a low fat and carb diet (don't make drastic changes to your diet though, that can lead to problems, you need to change slowly). It isn't cheating, but there are many studies which show it has negative effects. Your normal diet will probably have enough protein anyway. I think it isn't worth the risk to damage your vital organs just to look better :P but it is ultimately your choice, just be aware of the risks :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Xiuchen
Just a warning, protein shakes can hurt your kidney and liver. Too much protein is actually unhealthy for you. For loosing weight, rely on a low fat and carb diet (don't make drastic changes to your diet though, that can lead to problems, you need to change slowly). It isn't cheating, but there are many studies which show it has negative effects. Your normal diet will probably have enough protein anyway. I think it isn't worth the risk to damage your vital organs just to look better :P but it is ultimately your choice, just be aware of the risks :smile:

I'm not entirely sure I agree with you. Yes, protein in large doses is bad for you but so are carbohydrates, fats and even vitamins. Depending on whether you agree with 'bro science' or simply plain logic and what your body is telling you, you should aim to get more calories from your proteins than other sources. Whey protein is exactly what it says: a supplement. Too much of it isn't good but that's not to say it's bad either. The body reacts to nutrients in different ways, so listen to your body.

Quick Reply

Latest