The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

The Open University and SAAS

I've just applied and registered for my degree through The Open University. I'll be studying full-time (120 credits), but SAAS only cover part time studying for distance learning as far as I can tell. Is it possible to have them cover half of the course and pay the other have another way, or will I not get any funding at all since I'm going to be studying full-time? I haven't applied for SAAS before and it's very confusing!

And, if I can pay half another way, what is the best and most cost effective way of paying other than paying upfront?

Thank you in advance!
You're still considered to be studying part-time in the eyes of SAAS even if you do 120 credits. So you have to apply for part-time funding. SAAS will fund all your tuition fees.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Because you are not actually attending a physical university, studying with the Open Uni is classed as part time.

SAAS will cover the cost of any modules up to just over £1800 (I think) and the OU cover the rest.

I started in April with the OU and am studying 120 credits as well. Most of my modules are covered by funding and the think the OU covers about £300 but I pay for nothing! I was unsure about funding and phoned SAAS and the guy was so helpful, explained everything!

The funding application I found a little daunting but I just filled it out to the best of my knowledge and the OU actually just phoned me about one little thing I'd done wrong and they confirmed the right details over the phone :smile:

Hope this helps a little but like I say if you are unsure about anything phone SAAS, they are really helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lynneheather
Because you are not actually attending a physical university, studying with the Open Uni is classed as part time.

SAAS will cover the cost of any modules up to just over £1800 (I think) and the OU cover the rest.

I started in April with the OU and am studying 120 credits as well. Most of my modules are covered by funding and the think the OU covers about £300 but I pay for nothing! I was unsure about funding and phoned SAAS and the guy was so helpful, explained everything!

The funding application I found a little daunting but I just filled it out to the best of my knowledge and the OU actually just phoned me about one little thing I'd done wrong and they confirmed the right details over the phone :smile:

Hope this helps a little but like I say if you are unsure about anything phone SAAS, they are really helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much- that helped a lot!

I feel a lot better knowing I shouldn't have to pay anything- that was stressing me out a little - and knowing what kind of application I need to submit.

Thank you!
Hi, I would like to apply for the OU through SAAS but the OU is not on the drop down list for selected universities. Did you apply by paper or online?
Reply 5
Original post by hulksmash2020
Hi, I would like to apply for the OU through SAAS but the OU is not on the drop down list for selected universities. Did you apply by paper or online?

Im having the exact same problem!!!
Original post by hulksmash2020

You may be filling out the Full Time Student application? OU students are all classed as part-time students, regardless of their study intensity. Part time students must use the PDF form: http://www.saas.gov.uk/how_to_apply/pt.htm
Saas gives grants to full time students now as well. Just make sure you fill up the right form. Simply go for one for full time students as you are doing 120credits
Marta

Quick Reply

Latest