Exchange to St Andrews

Watch this thread
Elinen
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I study Philosophy in the Netherlands and hope to go on an Erasmus exchange to St Andrews this fall. I was nominated for the exchange by my university and applied to St Andrews over a month ago. The application information said I could expect a decision within 4 weeks after applying, but it has already been about 6 weeks and I have not heard back from them yet.
Last week I emailed them to ask when I might expect a decision, but I have not gotten a response to that either. I am now anxiously waiting to hear if I will study abroad for a semester.

Does anyone have experience with applying to St Andrews for an Erasmus exchange? Is it normal to not hear from them for so long? (I understand 6 weeks is not that long when applying for a university, but this is different for exchanges, and I still need to arrange a lot in case I do go abroad.) I am also interested in general experiences of Erasmus students at St Andrews, although I don't want to get too excited while I am still waiting

Thanks for any replies!
MickMike
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I have experience with St Andrews Uni bureaucracy in general. They are slow and inefficient and it seems like different departments have zero communication with each other. You need to bug them constantly if you want an answer.
la_banane_verte
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MickMike)
I have experience with St Andrews Uni bureaucracy in general. They are slow and inefficient and it seems like different departments have zero communication with each other. You need to bug them constantly if you want an answer.
It is always a good idea to keep in contact and remind people that you need an answer, but if you act like a **** in your emails/phone calls that's a sure fire way to make sure that people don't put in any extra effort to help you out and only do the bare minimum necessary.
MickMike
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by la_banane_verte)
It is always a good idea to keep in contact and remind people that you need an answer, but if you act like a **** in your emails/phone calls that's a sure fire way to make sure that people don't put in any extra effort to help you out and only do the bare minimum necessary.
I'm always extra gentleman. I'm just venting out my frustration here.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MickMike)
I'm always extra gentleman. I'm just venting out my frustration here.
I've had mostly the opposite experience. I've never had to wait more than 2 days for a response. Except recently I have waited 3 days, but previous to that I often got responses within the day. It was often myself who was the slow responder even to my own problems.

It might depend on department, I do know that the school of medicine is on top of things, but even in my few dealings with the uni they are pretty responsive.
la_banane_verte
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Can also depend on the time of year you contact people - e.g. if you contact accom services when they're allocating all the accommodation for returning students they're going to struggle getting back to you because of how much work they have on.
Elinen
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for responding!
I received an offer for the exchange programme yesterday, I am very excited

I have now had mixed experiences with emailing to the study abroad people, this time I got a reply after 1 week but when I emailed about an urgent issue before sending in my application, the response came within 3 minutes. That was very helpful.
I assume they are just busier in this time after the application deadline.
la_banane_verte
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Elinen)
Thanks for responding!
I received an offer for the exchange programme yesterday, I am very excited

I have now had mixed experiences with emailing to the study abroad people, this time I got a reply after 1 week but when I emailed about an urgent issue before sending in my application, the response came within 3 minutes. That was very helpful.
I assume they are just busier in this time after the application deadline.
Yeah, study abroad are going to be super busy at the moment sorting out both incoming and outgoing students. They're really great people though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (58)
34.94%
The paper was reasonable (65)
39.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
16.27%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.64%

Watched Threads